Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Kletzki

I have just taken delivery of a 2 CD set in that short lived EMI series Great Conductors of the Century which contains much repertoire that Kletzki did not record commercially as well as some shorter works that he did .

I have only played the first CD but it includes a live Tchaikovsky 5 that is one of the finest accounts I have heard - with terrific passion and momentum and in really good sound with the BRSO . Three Slavonic Dances that have more fizz than all bar Kubelik that I know of and a delightful Entracte from Rosamunde .

The more of his recordings I come across the more I am convinced that he really was a great conductor. I cherish his Mahler 4 with Emmy Loose, the Tchaikovsky 6, Borodin 2 with Dennis Brain's horn playing a particular delight , that awesome Sibelius 2 that matches the RPO/Barbirolli , the wondrous 1960 Scherazade with Hugh Bean playing the solos , the Sibelius 1 and 3 and now this set .

His Beethoven cycle must now go on the shopping list . The only downer with him is his occasional and mystifying penchant for cuts - in Mahler 1 and Manfred for example.

Any other views ? - I think an EMI Icon set is long overdue .

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have just taken delivery of a 2 CD set in that short lived EMI series Great Conductors of the Century which contains much repertoire that Kletzki did not record commercially as well as some shorter works that he did .

I have only played the first CD but it includes a live Tchaikovsky 5 that is one of the finest accounts I have heard - with terrific passion and momentum and in really good sound with the BRSO . Three Slavonic Dances that have more fizz than all bar Kubelik that I know of and a delightful Entracte from Rosamunde .

The more of his recordings I come across the more I am convinced that he really was a great conductor. I cherish his Mahler 4 with Emmy Loose, the Tchaikovsky 6, Borodin 2 with Dennis Brain's horn playing a particular delight , that awesome Sibelius 2 that matches the RPO/Barbirolli , the wondrous 1960 Scherazade with Hugh Bean playing the solos , the Sibelius 1 and 3 and now this set .

His Beethoven cycle must now go on the shopping list . The only downer with him is his occasional and mystifying penchant for cuts - in Mahler 1 and Manfred for example.

I have long been an admirer of Kletzki - I think at the time he recorded Manfred there were few other versions around and cuts were probably the norm and also little Mahler on record at the time of his IPO recording - 1954? I've got to say even with the cuts his Manfred shines. Also his late recordings on Decca with the SRO - Rachmaninov 2 and 3 and his Hindemith Mathis/Lutoslawki CforO were good. As you say his Tchaik 6 (and also Scheherazade of similar vintage) among my top few! The Beethoven set is a good traditional interpretation. As you say an ICON would be welcome, hopefully including his Mendelssohn 3 and Midsummer Night's Dream incidental music.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I have long been an admirer of Kletzki - I think at the time he recorded Manfred there were few other versions around and cuts were probably the norm and also little Mahler on record at the time of his IPO recording - 1954? I've got to say even with the cuts his Manfred shines. Also his late recordings on Decca with the SRO - Rachmaninov 2 and 3 and his Hindemith Mathis/Lutoslawki CforO were good. As you say his Tchaik 6 (and also Scheherazade of similar vintage) among my top few! The Beethoven set is a good traditional interpretation. As you say an ICON would be welcome, hopefully including his Mendelssohn 3 and Midsummer Night's Dream incidental music.
      All power to your EMI Icon-lobbying elbows, Barbirollians & cloughie

Comment

Two very good concerto recordings he made were the Chopin PC1 with a very young Pollini and the Bloch VC with Menhuin.

Comment

I've known this Borodin 2 most of my life and think of it as the reference point: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-No-...letzki+borodin

Comment

His Czech Beethoven cycle on Supraphon is well worth its modest outlay. Fiery and committed in the best central European sense.

K.
            "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Two very good concerto recordings he made were the Chopin PC1 with a very young Pollini and the Bloch VC with Menhuin.
              Very true - both are marvellous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                I've known this Borodin 2 most of my life and think of it as the reference point: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-No-...letzki+borodin
                Borodin 2 was served well by EMI in the 50s/early 60s with Kletzki, Malko and Kubelik - Ansermet on Decca and Martinon on RCA>Decca also good!

Comment

Indeed, I love both the Kubelik and the Martinon.

Kletzki also appears to have recorded Tchaikovsky 4 with the Orchestre de Paris - anyone know for which label ?

Comment

Indeed, I love both the Kubelik and the Martinon.

Kletzki also appears to have recorded Tchaikovsky 4 with the Orchestre de Paris - anyone know for which label ?
                    Could it have been the French National Radio Orchestra - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-4-T...ki+tchaikovsky

...and I think it may have turned up on a Concert Hall Classics Club LP - in which case may be owned by Scribendum

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40... yes it did

Comment

I should like to hear it - his 5 and 6 are superb.

Anyone know his Das Lied von der Erde? - I see it has DFD instead of a contralto or mezzo - I have to admit that I prefer those songs sung by a woman .

Comment

Just thought I would refresh this after listening to the Tchaikovsky 5 again this evening - it is just marvellous - a record to play for those allergic to Tchaikovsky .

Comment

I have no personal views on Paul Kletzski; never having played for him or seen him conduct, but the following little anecdote, told to me by a member of the Philharmonia's trumpet section might bring a wry smile on this sunny morning:

As in all professions, the nearer one gets to the top the more intense the rivalry becomes.
                          Conductors' comments about their contemporaries range from the sardonic remark to
                          downright condemnation.

When Dr. Otto Klemperer first came over to conduct the Philharmonia orchestra, the
                          three members of the trumpet section thought that it would be a nice idea to invite him out to
                          lunch. (Klemperer was a former trumpet player.) Afterwards, as they settled down to their
                          coffee and brandy, the conversation went as follows:

1st TRUMPET “Tell me, Herr Doktor, what do you think of Paul Kletzski?”

KLEMPERER “Kletzski? He's very good ... yes, very good but, I tell you, Bruno Walter!
                          But still, Kletzski? Yes, very good but, gentlemen -- Furtwangler!”

2nd TRUMPET “We had him here last week, conducting Beethoven's Ninth.”

KLEMPERER “Really? He conducted that? Very interesting .. yes, very interesting, but the Choral symphony?
                          Kleiber! Always, Erich Kleiber ... Still, Kletzski is very good.”

3rd TRUMPET “Well we thought he was rotten.”

KLEMPERER “I quite agree with you! He's rotten! HE'S ROTTEN !

HS

Comment

Well for a rotten conductor he got the brass to play pretty well but one gets the sense his heart lay with the strings .

Comment

- I think an EMI Icon set is long overdue .
                              Indeed - c'mon EMI!

Comment

Working...
                              X