Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC MM - CD of the Month - Nielsen and Sibelius 5

I haven't bought the magazine for a while but did so the other day as I had a longish train journey and nothing much to read.

The cover CD was of Nielsen 5 and Sibelius 5 with the BBCNOW/Sondergard .

I haven't heard the Sibelius but I have really enjoyed the Nielsen which is very exciting and well played - anyone else heard it ?

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I haven't bought the magazine for a while but did so the other day as I had a longish train journey and nothing much to read.

The cover CD was of Nielsen 5 and Sibelius 5 with the BBCNOW/Sondergard .

I haven't heard the Sibelius but I have really enjoyed the Nielsen which is very exciting and well played - anyone else heard it ?
    No, but that sounds like a sensible pairing, the 5th Symphonies of the two greatest Scandinavian Composers. I wonder if it has ever been done before.
    We had a Nielsen thread a while back, but my favorite 5ths are Bernstein and Horenstein. My favorite Sibelius 5th is Barbirolli/Halle

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      No, but that sounds like a sensible pairing, the 5th Symphonies of the two greatest Scandinavian Composers. I wonder if it has ever been done before.
      We had a Nielsen thread a while back, but my favorite 5ths are Bernstein and Horenstein. My favorite Sibelius 5th is Barbirolli/Halle
      I enjoyed the Sibelius as well except that the Andante meandered rather . Well worth buying the magazine to get this CD though IMO.

Comment

I, too, thought the Nielsen was an excellent performance - the Sibelius was good, too (I'd've loved to have heard it Live) but it took me a while to get used to the quick Tempo of the First Movement - my own idea of molto moderato is a little more leisurely than this. The Finale is very well controlled, however: the conclusion powerful and utterly convincing.

Good piece on Lutoslawski in the magazine, too.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. I have several BBCMM CDs to catch up on. At less than £3 a month it seems worth buying and I do pass the magazine on to a relative.

Comment

Working...
          X