Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nominations for most striking overacting in an opera recording

Magnificently conducted as it is by Barbirolli and how lovely to hear Gwyneth Jones singing so beautifully - the nomination goes to James McCracken for his Otello - splending in parts but stunningly hammy in others and sorry DFD Italian opera just wasn't your thing - an Iago entirely lacking in menace

Any other nominations ?

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Magnificently conducted as it is by Barbirolli and how lovely to hear Gwyneth Jones singing so beautifully - the nomination goes to James McCracken for his Otello - splending in parts but stunningly hammy in others and sorry DFD Italian opera just wasn't your thing - an Iago entirely lacking in menace

Any other nominations ?
    Agree with this. The "Dio mi potevi scagliar" is laughable. And yet this is the recording of Otello I most often reach for?? Barbirolli works some magic.

In terms of overacting I suggest the following:

- Elena Souliotis and Mario Del Monaco (hard to narrow it down to just one opera for Del Monaco) in Cavelleria Rusticana - she resists initially but is drawn in by the "bawl" himself so that we get the most shouty Cav on record. But again, like the Otello, I rather like it
    - dare I say Jon Vickers in Carmen or Peter Grimes (perhaps more defendable given overall portrayal)
    - Alfredo Kraus in La Fille Du Regiment and indeed I Puritani - not so much overacting but over enunciation
    - Renata Tebaldi and those bleeding sobs at the end of Signore Ascolta ruin it every time for me

Good thread!

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
      Agree with this. The "Dio mi potevi scagliar" is laughable. And yet this is the recording of Otello I most often reach for?? Barbirolli works some magic.

In terms of overacting I suggest the following:

- Elena Souliotis and Mario Del Monaco (hard to narrow it down to just one opera for Del Monaco) in Cavelleria Rusticana - she resists initially but is drawn in by the "bawl" himself so that we get the most shouty Cav on record. But again, like the Otello, I rather like it
      - dare I say Jon Vickers in Carmen or Peter Grimes (perhaps more defendable given overall portrayal)
      - Alfredo Kraus in La Fille Du Regiment and indeed I Puritani - not so much overacting but over enunciation
      - Renata Tebaldi and those bleeding sobs at the end of Signore Ascolta ruin it every time for me

Good thread!
      I am afraid I don't know all of those but I must admit acting was not Tebaldi's strong suit - utterly gorgeous voice as she did have sometimes she could have been singing a laundry list so beautifully .

McCracken's " broken voice " and growling is a bit giggleworthy and poor old DFD sounds like he is singing something plaintive rather than menacing but what a performance from the orchestra and wow what a voice Gwyneth Jones had in her younger days - I had always associated her with well acted but wobbly Wagner singing.

Comment

Working...
      X