X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Brahms 3rd Symphony: Georg Tintner

Browsing CDs at Tanglewood I encountered a this Naxos disc, part of a "Georg Tintner Edition" of the conductor leading an Orchestra from Halifax, Nova Scotia.
    Tintner, who had worked with Bruno Walter in Vienna before having to flee the Anschluss, wandered the Planet in search of work before finding stable positions in the remote areas of Canada. He apparently toured the UK with Canadian Youth Orchestras and received some renown. I have a few of his Bruckner recordings. This Brahms dates from a concert in 1990.
    I really enjoyed this performance. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the playing, as my expectations were not high. The last movement is superbly paced (IMO, this is the most difficult movement of any Brahms
    Symphony. Many performances are two dramatic at the outset and seem to have nowhere to go, and then the pianissimo finale is quite difficult to bring to a satisfying conclusion).
  • amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Browsing CDs at Tanglewood I encountered a this Naxos disc, part of a "Georg Tintner Edition" of the conductor leading an Orchestra from Halifax, Nova Scotia.
    Tintner, who had worked with Bruno Walter in Vienna before having to flee the Anschluss, wandered the Planet in search of work before finding stable positions in the remote areas of Canada. He apparently toured the UK with Canadian Youth Orchestras and received some renown. I have a few of his Bruckner recordings. This Brahms dates from a concert in 1990.
    I really enjoyed this performance. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the playing, as my expectations were not high. The last movement is superbly paced (IMO, this is the most difficult movement of any Brahms
    Symphony. Many performances are two dramatic at the outset and seem to have nowhere to go, and then the pianissimo finale is quite difficult to bring to a satisfying conclusion).
    Interesting review, rfg. Here's the disc ...

and here's some more from The Tintner Memorial Edition

Comment

Working...
    X