Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up with Boult's 1937 recording and it was hard to accept others. For a long time I found Barbirolli's pause awkward before the final pizzicato chord. I imagine he did this because, as a string player himself, he liked to give the players time to adjust their hand for the pizz.

Another former string player who recorded the work was Anthony Collins, and I've always slightly preferred his version even to Boult. Its a great shame Elgar himself never recorded it.
    Last edited by smittims; 20-09-23, 13:40.

Comment

Is the classic Barbirolli supplanted by John Wilson and the new Sinfonia of London?

Vaughan Williams, Howells, Delius & Elgar - Music for Strings. Chandos: CHSA5291. Buy SACD or download online. Sinfonia of London, John Wilson

Not in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I grew up with Boult's 1937 recording and it was hard to accept others. For a long time I found Barbirolli's pause awkward before the final pizzicato chord. I imagine he did this because, as a string player himself, he liked to give the players time to adjust their hand for the pizz.

Another former string player who recorded the work was Anthony Collins, and I've always slightly preferred his version even to Boult. Its a great same Elgar himself never recorded it.
        It's a work where I have been imprinted with version I grew up with too but mine was the later Boult CFP version.

Comment

Did Ken Russell use the Barbirolli for his Elgar film ?

Comment

Well, it wouldn't have been the 1962 HMV version with the Sinfonia of London, as that was made after the film; it may of course have been one of Barbirolli's several earlier versions. You've given me the idea of listening to the film and trying to identify the recordings , though it's a bit of an 'anorak' thing todo, I admit...

Comment

Working...
            X