Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French baroque operas

Where do I start building this shelf? Unless there is a very good reason for watching the staged production, I am happier with CDs but the libretto in English translation is essential so I’m afraid a lot of bargains and box sets will have to be left out.

P.S. should this be No 31 or 32? There seems to be 2 No.30

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Where do I start building this shelf? Unless there is a very good reason for watching the staged production, I am happier with CDs but the libretto in English translation is essential so I’m afraid a lot of bargains and box sets will have to be left out.
    For 30 quid, dovers, you could start with Rameau's Castor et Pollux (Sarah Connolly etc/Les Arts Florissant/William Christie. Expensive?

It's on two CDs of 30 in the LUMIERES box from Harmonia Mundi. CD 30 has texts.

It's undoubtedly my richest, best value purchase of 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      For 30 quid, dovers, you could start with Rameau's Castor et Pollux (Sarah Connolly etc/Les Arts Florissant/William Christie. Expensive?

It's on two CDs of 30 in the LUMIERES box from Harmonia Mundi. CD 30 has texts.

It's undoubtedly my richest, best value purchase of 2013.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musique-Lumi...words=lumieres
      Wow that's quite a bargain !!!

But veri, are you sure it's La Connolly? I didn't know Christie had re-recorded it for HM (may well be my ignorance, although a quick search showed nothing)...

Because his recording of Castor was my introduction to French Baroque opera - and the ladies in it are the delectable group of Agnès Mellon, Véronique Gens, Sandrine Piau and Sophie Daneman... the reason I discovered it being (as mentioned here before) the aria 'Tristes apprêts' sung by Agnès Mellon which struck me like a thunderbolt on the Early Music Show one Saturday:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Assuming that is the version in the HM box, another way of having it appears to be for 3 quid a disc here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rameau-FLORI...astor+christie

One way or another, I'd go for it, dovers
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

from http://www.arkivmusic.com/albumpage/612333-E900-5 :

Castor et Pollux by Jean-Philippe Rameau
        Performer: Sophie Daneman (Soprano), Jérôme Corréas (Bass Baritone), Agnès Mellon (Soprano),
        Howard Crook (Tenor), Véronique Gens (Soprano), Adrian Brand (Tenor),
        René Schirrer (Bass), René Schirrer (Baritone), Claire Brua (Soprano),
        Sandrine Piau (Soprano), Mark Padmore (Countertenor), Jean-Claude Sarragosse (Bass)
        Conductor: William Christie
        Orchestra/Ensemble: Les Arts Florissants
        Period: Baroque
        Written: 1737; Paris, France
        Date of Recording: 09/1992
        Length: 173 Minutes 0 Secs.
        Language: French

Comment

P.S. should this be No 31 or 32? There seems to be 2 No.30
          I think Rameau's Les Indes Galantes is a good place to start, preferably on DVD (where you can select subtitles). The performance by Les Arts Florissants and William Christie on Opus Arte is stylish, traditionally staged and infectiously good fun.

Christie has also recorded it on CD (different cast in many cases). The Harmonia mundi set with libretto booklet is still available:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
            I think Rameau's Les Indes Galantes is a good place to start, preferably on DVD (where you can select subtitles). The performance by Les Arts Florissants and William Christie on Opus Arte is stylish, traditionally staged and infectiously good fun.

Christie has also recorded it on CD (different cast in many cases). The Harmonia mundi set with libretto booklet is still available:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/rameau-les-inde...undi-3cds.html
            The CDs are included in the 39CD + DVDs set due out early next month:

Even cheaper from amazon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Wow that's quite a bargain !!!

But veri, are you sure it's La Connolly? I didn't know Christie had re-recorded it for HM (may well be my ignorance, although a quick search showed nothing)...

This is the whole shooting match on the LUMIERES set: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/H...2908601%252F30

You're quite right, Cali. Connolly in the Solomon, not the Rameau.

Comment

Don't forget the - 'ow you say eet? - 'philosophical' works:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rousseau-Dev...words=rousseau

Comment

There's always Lully?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Many thanks everyone.

Verismissimo: the LUMIERES
                    This looks like a library in itself. It is a greay bargain but I’d be too distracted by all those interesting works by unfamiliar composers.

Caliban
                    This Castor et Pollux has no booklet. Pity. It looks as if Harnoncourt and a Naxos are the only available opera in DC.

IGI: Les Indes Galantes
                    Thank you for the recommendation of the CD. I watched the yiutude video, which I enjoyed but I’m not sure if I’d want to watch it repeatedly. CD will be preferable as the music was great.

Pubmusic
                    Le Devin du Village, composed by Rousseau!!? I’ll investigate. But what do you think?

BBM: Lully
                    Any recommendations?

Comment

Lully: Phaeton, conducted by Marc Minkowski, who I always think is good, whatever he touches. Had some good proms recent years?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

There is an excellent alternative Castor et Pollux to be had in a fine recording from 1982 with the English Bach Festival Chorus and Orchestra under Charles Farncombe. In fact it is complementary, being the later 1754 version as opposed to Christie's earlier one with the Prologue. The playing, on period instruments, is very sprightly and the recording in the fine Erato tradition. I love it!

Comment

...Pubmusic
                          Le Devin du Village, composed by Rousseau!!? I’ll investigate. But what do you think?...
                          I would certainly not put it forward as one of the great baroque operas - the composer is the thing of course. But (and it's a big but) this is an enjoyable, tuneful and very typical pastoral opera from the 1750s, much like a hundred others, so if you wanted something to contrast with the obvious 'greats' and to give a flavour of most baroque opera, this is as good as any.

Pubmusic! Chance would be the thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X