No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgar 2 - BBCSO Boult ICA Classics

Received this morning

Thrilling from first note to last - a flowing Larghetto but no loss of feeling - the Presto is thrilling - the first movement truly is Allegro vivace and reminiscent of the 1944 Corn Exchange recording- it starts with a terrific whoosh and does not let up . The finale is immensely rousing and the ending very moving.

In short , bloody marvellous .

PS So is the Wagner fill - up
    Last edited by Barbirollians; 04-09-13, 14:28.

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Received this morning

Thrilling from first note to last - a flowing Larghetto but no loss of feeling - the Presto is thrilling - the first movement truly is Allegro vivace and reminiscent of the 1944 Corn Exchange recording- it starts with a terrific whoosh and does not let up . The finale is immensely rousing and the ending very moving.

So you like it, then?

Comment

Received this morning

I can't wait for my copy! As mentioned elsewhere, I heard this Prom on R3 (deferred due to a live Bayreuth Tristan under Carlos Kleiber) and have it on cassette somewhere. I've long been praying for a CD release and here it is. Glad that Barbirollian's report confirms all I felt about this performance back in 1977.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'm very much looking forward to hearing this.

Comment

Others may find it less thrilling but I loved it almost as much as the 1976 live Elgar 1 .

Comment

Is the audience as obtrusive as in the, rather splendid, 1976 Proms Symphony No.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              I'm very much looking forward to hearing this.
              Me too, many thanks Barbs

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                Is the audience as obtrusive as in the, rather splendid, 1976 Proms Symphony No.1?
                Erm - between movements yes I would say.

Comment

Oh God, not only have I succumbed to the wiles of Sir Adrian I've punted for the Barbirolli Berlioz too. I've just invested in the Mandelring Shostakovich SACD set and I still haven't ordered any Orchestral Concert CDs. If Mrs.Soileduk finds out where my pocket money is going I'll be 'suspended in Gaffa'

Comment

I just received the Elgar 1Brahms 3 today, same forces and recording company. Not played yet, though.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I just received the Elgar 1Brahms 3 today, same forces and recording company. Not played yet, though.
                      Get it in your CD player now BBM !!! The Brahms 3 is gorgeous and the Elgar 1 is the BEST recording of it ever - even just shading the Barbirolli King's Lynn live recording !

Comment

Get it in your CD player now BBM !!! The Brahms 3 is gorgeous and the Elgar 1 is the BEST recording of it ever - even just shading the Barbirolli King's Lynn live recording !

Well, it will have to wait till Saturday im afraid. Term time now, drat!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I'd agree wholeheartedly about the performance, which is immeasurably improved by the presence of a 20-something Pab in the audience!

Comment

It's a great feeling to have one's prayers answered but with this disc they most certainly are. This Elgar 2 is every bit as thrilling as I remembered it from 1977 and the recording has come up splendidly in the ICA transfer.

Don't hesitate in buying this CD; it will be the best purchase you will have made all year. Perhaps of any year.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

It gets better every time I play it !

Comment

Working...
                              X