Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naxos Classical Archives @ 2.99 Euros

I was browsing the Qobuz website and was startled to find an amazing number of 1950's recordings that had been remastered and issued by Naxos, available as 16/44.1 downloads, e.g. Barbirolli/Halle Sibelius 2, Boult/LPO Brahms, various Ormandy, Ancerl, Barbirolli, Karajan, etc, etc. The downloads aren't exactly generous, running around 45 to 55 minutes, but I assume that is in line with the original LP timings.

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

... and sort Price: low to high

Does anyone know what the quality of the remastering is like and how they compare with reissues from the 'majors'?

PS Some of these are available from Amazon as mp3 downloads for £7.49!

Many of these transfers were made by Lani Spahr and I have found them pretty good. If you are happy with mp3/320, these are £1.99 at classicsonline.

Learn more about the albums and works by Lani Spahr available at Naxos. Buy now or listen for free.

He transferred the acoustic recordings from Elgar's collection:

Comment

Also on emusic. Lower bit rates but these are old recordings
      Last edited by mathias broucek; 14-09-13, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I was browsing the Qobuz website and was startled to find an amazing number of 1950's recordings that had been remastered and issued by Naxos, available as 16/44.1 downloads, e.g. Barbirolli/Halle Sibelius 2, Boult/LPO Brahms, various Ormandy, Ancerl, Barbirolli, Karajan, etc, etc. The downloads aren't exactly generous, running around 45 to 55 minutes, but I assume that is in line with the original LP timings.

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

... and sort Price: low to high

Does anyone know what the quality of the remastering is like and how they compare with reissues from the 'majors'?

PS Some of these are available from Amazon as mp3 downloads for £7.49!
        I'm not sure what 16/44.1 means - is that the same as flac 16bit? If so, and you prefer a better quailty than mp3, you may want to know they are also available from eclassical.com http://www.eclassical.com/labels/1/n...ical%20archive which I have found to be a very useful site. I wonder how these reissues are going to be affected by the proposal to extend copyright protection to 70 years.

Comment

Alain,

Yes, by 16/44.1 I mean flac downloads of CD quality (44,100 sampling rate, 16 bits).

The eclassical link us useful, even though eclassical is significantly more expensive than Qobuz for these Naxos Classical Archive flac downloads.
          Last edited by johnb; 14-09-13, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
            I'm not sure what 16/44.1 means - is that the same as flac 16bit? If so, and you prefer a better quailty than mp3, you may want to know they are also available from eclassical.com http://www.eclassical.com/labels/1/n...ical%20archive which I have found to be a very useful site. I wonder how these reissues are going to be affected by the proposal to extend copyright protection to 70 years.
            According to the report publishing the details( on another thread) already published recordings under the 50 year rule, are exempt from the new 70 year rule.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              Alain,

Yes, by 16/44.1 I mean flac downloads of CD quality (44,100 sampling rate, 16 bits).

The eclassical link us useful, even though eclassical is significantly more expensive than Qobuz for these Naxos Classical Archive flac downloads.
              Thanks for the confirmation about the quality; to misquote Woody Allen, I am at two with technology. I wonder whether whoever remastered these used the LPs, or had access to the mastertapes. You are correct about the pricing as well - a considerable difference.

Comment

I too would guess that they are transfers from good quality LPs (taking advantage of copyright expiry) rather than from the original mastertapes. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are inferior as some of the older mastertapes show signs of deterioration, as Gordon once pointed out in this forum.

Comment

Working...
                X