X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Pappano Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony

I must say this looks like a tantalising new release. I have the recordings of Tchaikovsky 4-6 by this combination and they're superb. And I simply adore this symphony- that Clarinet solo!!

An interesting coupling as well- not a piece I've some across before.

Pre-ordered already!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Curalach

Also pre-ordered at £8.99 from HMV.com. The Lyadov is a charming piece which I heard recently from the RSNO.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

8.99?? Thanks, Curalach! It's 16.00 from Amazon- I'll be changing my order smartish!
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

And the forthcoming Shostakovitch 1 and 3 from Petrenko and the RLPO is 3.99 from HMV.com, and 7.00 from Amazon. I've bookmarked the HMV site- I've not used it much in the past, but perhaps it's time to start!!

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Curalach

Mr Pee, I always check the HMV site for pre-ordering. Their prices are always keen and postage is free.
          Having said that, their website is clunky and searches don't always find the desired result. Over time you get to know how to use it best.

Because it is based in the Channel Islands it is not subject to VAT. This is a loophole which was originally created specifically to support the flower growing industry of the CI.
          Needless to say many other businesses have re-located their mail order operations there to take advantage, HMV being one of them. As a result, products are shipped to the Islands just so that they can be posted from there.
          There is currently a backlash from competitors and it is possible that the loophole might be closed.
          In the meantime, I am happy to avail myself of the reduced prices as long as they last.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            8.99?? Thanks, Curalach! It's 16.00 from Amazon- I'll be changing my order smartish!
            I suspect Amazon's price will match HMVs before long.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Well, my copy arrived today -(8.99 from Amazon)- and it's

Mark Twain.

Comment

• StephenO

Very tempting. The trouble with me, I keep saying "Just one more CD" and then...

On the other hand, are Previn, Ashkenazy and Pletnev enough? Nope, I really need Pappano as well!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmaninov...8372489&sr=8-5

I must say this looks like a tantalising new release. I have the recordings of Tchaikovsky 4-6 by this combination and they're superb. And I simply adore this symphony- that Clarinet solo!!

An interesting coupling as well- not a piece I've some across before.

Pre-ordered already!!
                  Well the last movement was on In Tune last week and sounded absolutely terrific. I shall be acquiring it. Glad you managed to overcome the allegedly-insurmountable obstacles posed by amazon ( see the "I hate amazon" thread ).

Anyone found a better price than £8.99??
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

On the other hand, are Previn, Ashkenazy and Pletnev enough? Nope, I really need Pappano as well!
                    ...and Sanderling / Leningrad PO, Ormandy / Philadelphia O, Jansons and Temirkanov / St Petersburg PO, Maazel / Berlin PO, Rozhdestvensky / LSO, and not forgetting Loughran / Hallé for CfP.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Well the last movement was on In Tune last week and sounded absolutely terrific. I shall be acquiring it. Glad you managed to overcome the allegedly-insurmountable obstacles posed by amazon ( see the "I hate amazon" thread ).

It's not just the last movement that sounds terrific- the whole performance does. The clarinet solo in the slow movement is beautifully played- the best I've heard since Brymer for Previn- the big slow movement climax later on is perfectly paced, and then when the violins come back with the clarinet theme, it's played with a quiet intensity that's most striking. And the gorgeous secondary theme of the Scherzo is meltingly lovely.

I could go on and on about it- let's just say I'm highly impressed! This is a wonderful CD. I don't even mind the inclusion of some applause at the end, because it's fully justified.

(I must say, it was a struggle tracking this down on Amazon. Would you believe, I had to enter "Pappano Rachmaninov", to find it.....)

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

(I must say, it was a struggle tracking this down on Amazon. Would you believe, I had to enter "Pappano Rachmaninov", to find it.....)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

How does the Pappano compare to the Previn, of whic Imo, is one of the best!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

Apart from an order from Buywell, and one from Les Aldridge, I'm giving up CDs for Lent, choosing to meditate on higher things and listen to my collection.

I hope you are suitably impressed Scotty!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              How does the Pappano compare to the Previn, of whic Imo, is one of the best!
                              Well, let's see...I like the Previn recording...and I like the Pappano recording....but which is best? There's only one way to find out-

Seriously, though: The Previn was my introduction to this symphony, and it is a benchmark recording, although I fear that the sound quality suffered somewhat when it was remastered for CD. I have struggled over the years to find another interpretation to match it, although I was taken with Ivan Fischer and the BFO, which was released a couple of years ago.

However, I really think this Pappano is a very fine recording indeed- there are some beautiful and individual touches throughout, and some lovely playing, particularly from the woodwinds.

Oh dear: now I'm thinking about the CD, I want to go and listen to it again. The trouble is it's 10:40 pm and I'm afraid my neighbours might not appreciate it! (Philistines)....

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X