X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Favourite Debussy piano music records

I have three - Uchida's dazzling account of the Etudes , Kocsis's legendary Gramophone winning account of the Images and probably my favourite of all Book 1 of the Preludes on Saga with Livia Rev . Book 2 and the rest of her Debussy recordings now seem all deleted . Who owns Saga's catalogue I wonder ?

I think this now 97 year old legend is the most perceptive of all Debussy pianists - Arrau, Zimerman , Bavouzet I have heard but she still sounds supreme to my ears in the Preludes .

What are your favourite Debussy piano music records?
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have three - Uchida's dazzling account of the Etudes , Kocsis's legendary Gramophone winning account of the Images and probably my favourite of all Book 1 of the Preludes on Saga with Livia Rev . Book 2 and the rest of her Debussy recordings now seem all deleted . Who owns Saga's catalogue I wonder ?
    An ample supply at bargain prices here, it seems

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I think this now 97 year old legend is the most perceptive of all Debussy pianists - Arrau, Zimerman , Bavouzet I have heard but she still sounds supreme to my ears in the Preludes .

What are your favourite Debussy piano music records?
      We've been discussing the merits of Peter Frankl's Debussy on the "budget labels" thread

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

I was lucky enough to find all the Livia Rev Debussy on Saga some years ago in a short lived super bargain shop in Charing Cross Road. They are indeed splendid performances. Can anyone tell me, did she record again for Hyperion, or are these the same performances? I have some other excellent sets such as Bavouzet on Chandos, But the Livia Rev ones are those I return to most.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
          How wonderful thanks ams

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Dino Ciani - Preludes, Book 1

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              even cheaper!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Michelangeli, DG, Preludes Book 1 & 2... always his own man, individually, unsurpassably, himself....

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Michelangeli, DG, Preludes Book 1 & 2... always his own man, individually, unsurpassably, himself....
                  Absolutely, Jayne. These recordings have been my touchstone since the lp era. I wish he had recorded the Etudes, but my current favorite is Peter Frankl.
                  btw, I am not a big fan of Gieseking, but critics of a certain vintage seem to think he is the bees knees...

Comment

• akiralx
                    • Oct 2011

Bavouzet's set on Chandos is of course superb. Of the older pianists I prefer Casadesus to Gieseking.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
                      As noted in a previous thread on the same general topic, that Saga set managed to omit three works which were included in the original L.P. box. Search the forum for Livia Rev for more details (I'm using a mobile 'phone at the moment, and copying and pasting links is a pain on this device).

The Hyperion recording are of a later vintage. The mp3 and FLAC download versions are currently on offer at reduced prices, with no additional cost for the FLACs.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 11-11-13, 09:24.

Comment

• Colonel Danby
                        • Nov 2010

I concur with Barbirollians on the Uchida Etudes and I've got two CDs of Kocsis's marvellous 'Images' and other small pieces on Philips. But for me Walter Gieseking in the 'Preludes' is simply with out parallel and sweeps the board. Oh yes, Coombs and Scott in the complete music for two pianos on Hyperion is a favourite too.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Oddly, I seem to have listened to Debussy most whilst driving or on holiday since the discs that I love most have either resided in the car or were bought on holiday. The Roget recordings on Decca are very well travelled in various cars and Paul Crossley's lovely playing of the Estampes still holds pride of place in a three cd box of Debussy acquired on hols.
                          My favourite version of Children's Corner by a wide margin is on a Naxos cd of piano music for children played by Idil Biret.
                          Debussy's own 'recordings' on piano roll are well worth an occasional listen if not as regular companions.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Aside from Tomita's interpretation of Debussy which I still love, my first real introduction to Debussy's piano music was a mid priced LP on the HMV HQS label by a promising young pianist called Daniel Adni. I have a CD of him doing Field Nocturnes and one of RinB and Warsaw Concerto. Whatever happened to Adni - Wiki has little information. There is no shortage of good Debussy P music on CD - perhaps the most individual idiosyncratic approach is Samson Francois.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I have Jean-Yves Thibaudet's collection from Decca and Uchida's as well. Uchida I have playing the Etudes. what a recording nthat is!! the best?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X