30.11.13: good reviewers, interesting discs.... but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

30.11.13: good reviewers, interesting discs.... but....

I usually find Messrs Vignoles and (especially) Norris bracing and thought-provoking...

... but what are we to "make to" (is that a phrase?) the puff for their forthcoming - ahem - bout on CD Review:

10.30am
    Not one but two reviewers! We gave pianist Roger Vignoles and critic Geoffrey Norris the same CDs: Bach from Jeremy Denk; Beethoven from Andras Schiff; romantic sonatas from Boris Giltberg; Prokofiev and Bartok from Lang Lang and Simon Rattle. What will they make to them? Will the fur fly in the studio?

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• amateur51

An interesting idea potentially but a ludicrous puff. I trust that Messrs Vignoles & Norros will ignore its implications

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I usually find Messrs Vignoles and (especially) Norris bracing and thought-provoking...
      Are you thinking of the right Norris? David Owen N is certainly bracing (I'm one of many who love his contributions, though I know he's not to everyone's tastes). But Geoffrey N, of the D Telegraph, 'bracing'??

But, coincidentally, I was listening to Jeremy Denk's Goldbergs earlier this evening. Wonderful stuff! Though quite possibly not to everyone's taste, also - he brings out the humour more than most pianists do.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
        Are you thinking of the right Norris? David Owen N is certainly bracing (I'm one of many who love his contributions, though I know he's not to everyone's tastes). But Geoffrey N, of the D Telegraph, 'bracing'??
        No wasn't thinking of DON.... but maybe I am misremembering GN's contributions. Solid, rather than bracing?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ostuni
          • Nov 2010

To be honest, I can't remember GN's last BaL contribution. But I've always thought of his writing as more on the solid side. But that might be my Guardianista tendencies peeking through...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

... but what are we to "make to" (is that a phrase?) the puff for their …
            …"make of"… perhaps?

I just hope the two of them will not slip into the BBC habit of agreeing to agree about everything.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
              To be honest, I can't remember GN's last BaL contribution. But I've always thought of his writing as more on the solid side. But that might be my Guardianista tendencies peeking through...
              I think I last heard Geoffrey Norris on BaL 'doing' Shostakovich symphony no 5 this last Summer

I'd call him thoroughly competent - and you can't say that often about Radio 3's output these days

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Will the fur fly in the studio?
                Which one of them is wearing fur? Or is it AMc?
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                X