Ogdon Hammerklavier / Nielsen - finally out on CD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neiltingley
    • Sep 2011

Ogdon Hammerklavier / Nielsen - finally out on CD!

30 years too late, but this legendary performance finally made it to CD. One of Ogdon's best (the Beethoven op 106 ). I don't know the Nielson at all but it's always been highly regarded.

If anyone from Sony of whoever they are called now, please now release the Rachmaninov Sonatas made for RCA!
  • amateur51

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
    30 years too late, but this legendary performance finally made it to CD. One of Ogdon's best (the Beethoven op 106 ). I don't know the Nielson at all but it's always been highly regarded.

If anyone from Sony of whoever they are called now, please now release the Rachmaninov Sonatas made for RCA!
    I have the Hammerklavier on LP somewhere and I'll certainly get the CD - and echo your appeal for the Rachmaninov, neiltingley

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The Nielsen pieces are fascinating, revealing in places as they do stylistic affinities with Debussy, Bartok and Schoenberg. I wonder what Robert Simpson would have thought!

Comment

• neiltingley
        • Sep 2011

Speaking of Ogdon, Vints Regards is out on CD as well. I don't know any other version to compare with but Ogdon's seems very persuasive. IT's his kind of work - challenging and lengthy!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Speaking of Ogdon, Vints Regards is out on CD as well. I don't know any other version to compare with but Ogdon's seems very persuasive. IT's his kind of work - challenging and lengthy!
          When you write Ogdon's Vingt Regards is "out on CD as well", do you refer to a new re-release, that in the Decca Piano and Organ Music boxed set, or the 2006 issue? I have the boxed set and would heartily recommend it not only for the Vingt Regards but also the pioneering Robert Sherlaw Johnson's Catalogue d'oiseaux, and the Preston La Nativité. The amazon.co.uk site strangely appends a review of a disc which does not appear in the box, that of Angela Hewitt doing her thing with a few Messiaen bits and pieces.

Comment

• neiltingley
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            When you write Ogdon's Vingt Regards is "out on CD as well", do you refer to a new re-release, that in the Decca Piano and Organ Music boxed set, or the 2006 issue? I have the boxed set and would heartily recommend it not only for the Vingt Regards but also the pioneering Robert Sherlaw Johnson's Catalogue d'oiseaux, and the Preston La Nativité. The amazon.co.uk site strangely appends a review of a disc which does not appear in the box, that of Angela Hewitt doing her thing with a few Messiaen bits and pieces.
            Err.. it's actually out on a double CD now. But I didn't know the boxed set had been around so long. I thought it was a newish release. I am always eager for any J.O recordings I can get my hands on. There's another scriabin LP that with the op 11 preludes (not much to write home about) and a stupendous account of the fantasy. And of course the legendary Rachmaninov 1st sonata.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Also available for download from Qobuz...

Listen to John Ogdon in unlimited streaming on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from %price%/month
              Steve

Comment

• neiltingley
                • Sep 2011

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.

Comment

Working...
                X