Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    an early Artia LP (Leningrad PO/Sanderling) was my first encounter - who owns that now and will we ever see it on CD.
    I have seen that performance as an mp3 download, and a search of the web may find a cleaned up LP made available by a blogger. I believe it was the first recording, and seems quite different in many points of the score. I think there was a general feeling that since the composer disowned it, and since there is no definitive score, it is fair game for imaginative conductors. I have heard a performance which added bells (not glockenspiel) in the first and third movements.

I love the way that the main theme is transfigured in the Symphonic Dances - it makes one brief appearance.

Comment

The final set of Rachmaninov Symphonies from Svetlanov is gloriously indulgent and the particular sound of this orchestra contributes greatly. I have the earlier set but prefer the later Warner release.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        There'a a fine blog on the day that Vladimir Jurowski consulted Ormandy's performing materials in the Philly's archives:

https://uniqueatpenn.wordpress.com/2...noff-symphony/
        Interesting piece, ed. I thought this was very enlightening (from the principal conductor of the LPO):

"Orchestra instruments in Mahler’s time, for example, sounded very different from the instruments of today. I performed Mahler with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment in London, with the strings playing on gut strings, and it’s a very different experience.”

There's been talk on these boards recently that it doesn't make much difference when Romantic and late-Romantic music is performed. Well, according to Jurowski, it does!

Comment

Has Jurowski conducted this work in the UK previously?
          Well whether he has or not, he and the LPO are performing it at the RFH on Dec 14.
          Looks a tempting prospect.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
            It's never been a favourite of mine. I bought the Jansons/St Petersburg version on EMI-Gramophone's recommendation- about a decade ago. It sounds tame and the recording is rather murky. The conductor has apparently added extra timpani parts to liven proceedings up- evidently he shared my view.
            On the subject of cuts, wasn't its first LP appearance (Ormandy?) on three sides?
            The trumpet fanfare at the beginning of the last movement used to be the signature tune of Panorama on BBC. An hour of political news, discussion and documentaries-
            O tempes, O mores.
            I worked on Panorama quite often at Lime Grove ( It's a block of flats now) At the time I was the assistant to the Dubbing Mixer Pat Whitaker, and I well remember him taping the finale of the Ormandy LP and subsequently editing it for length. The triumphant fanfares at the beginning of the last movement were too long for the opening titles and so the sequence had to be shortened.

I love that Ormandy version, and always think of those days when I hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              I worked on Panorama quite often at Lime Grove ( It's a block of flats now) At the time I was the assistant to the Dubbing Mixer Pat Whitaker, and I well remember him taping the finale of the Ormandy LP and subsequently editing it for length. The triumphant fanfares at the beginning of the last movement were too long for the opening titles and so the sequence had to be shortened.

I love that Ormandy version, and always think of those days when I hear it.
              Wonderful story...... I think I'll give the Ormandy a spin later this evening.

Comment

There is a new version from Gergiev and the LSO which has had good reviews.

Comment

The 1967 Ormandyrecording was issued on two sides in the UK (CBS LP SBRG 72571 =MS 6986 in the USA). However, there may have been an earlier version on three sides

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    There is a new version from Gergiev and the LSO which has had good reviews.
                    Might try that - anyone seeking a good old Russian sound Rozhdestvensky's is available for 79p plus p&p from an Amazon seller.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Might try that - anyone seeking a good old Russian sound Rozhdestvensky's is available for 79p plus p&p from an Amazon seller.
                      I might just give that one a go myself! I rather like that combo.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                      X