Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harold Moores

We have had a recent discussion re. the closure of Harold Moores. Today I received an email from a good friend. I quote its body here:

Harold Moores Records has shut down, some weeks ago now. I bumped in to the Finnish guy who used to work there (whose name I never got clear in my head and now never will), on the recent big London NHS demo, he – in company of his new-born daughter. (Great timing, starting a family now . . .)

He told me that the owner of the business for some reason handed over direct control of the firm to his accountant, who was offered a better deal on the rent if the premises could be handed over empty that week. The accountant duly entered the premises and dismissed the staff on the spot. A notice was posted on the door saying the place was being refurbished, and that stock could be bought online. The building has since been gutted and the notice removed.

As of the time of my meeting the staff had not been paid arrears in wages.

Something of this is hearsay (he said, trying to dodge the bullets of lawyers) but I would urge folk NOT to buy anything from Harold Moores online; or at least not to do so without a clear statement that Tim Winter and the other staff have been fully and properly paid off.

I picked up the last of my CDs from there just a month ago. Very sad.

Comment

I received that same email, Bryn, as you can no doubt imagine.

I used to spend a while now and then looking around there, back in the 1980s, when it was the most expensive record shop in town although with a few things that weren't to be seen elsewhere. I recall one occasion when I took the plunge on an item I'd been wanting for a while, despite my highly penurious state at the time, to be met with a rather haughty assistant who said something to me like "oh, you do actually buy things sometimes then?" Not from you, I said, and left without making the purchase after all. I always thought of it as a rather dodgy establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        I received that same email, Bryn, as you can no doubt imagine.

I used to spend a while now and then looking around there, back in the 1980s, when it was the most expensive record shop in town although with a few things that weren't to be seen elsewhere. I recall one occasion when I took the plunge on an item I'd been wanting for a while, despite my highly penurious state at the time, to be met with a rather haughty assistant who said something to me like "oh, you do actually buy things sometimes then?" Not from you, I said, and left without making the purchase after all. I always thought of it as a rather dodgy establishment.
        I know what you mean - I always felt - not intimidated, but 'slightly on-edge' whenever I popped in during my lunch break, or after work on my walk to Charing Cross station. Did manage to pick up some very good bargains though, over the years (they were immediately on your left, as you entered the shop) until all that seemed to end in about 2000... a fistful of Martinus (Supraphon) for peanuts - all the symphonies, plus a load of concertos and other works by the same composer. Sad that it has ended so seemingly ignominiously. I really do hope the staff are paid what's due to them.

Comment

It was terrible back in the day but I've found it far more agreeable and more sensibly priced lately. It also had a better layout than many shops based on genre (British, Renaissance, Squeaky
          Gate etc.)

What a terrible story

Bad year for stores what with Prelude and MacAllister M

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
            What a terrible story

Let's see what 'Record Review Live From Spiritland For Record Store Day' on 22 April makes of it...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

In effect this closure leaves Ray's Records at Foyles and Gramex at 25 Marsh Street SE1 the only pop in places in London where one can mooch around and with luck find something one didn't know one was after, and at Gramex have a long chat with the friendly fellow who runs the place - something that was never likely to happen at Moores.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                at Gramex have a long chat with the friendly fellow who runs the place
                Quite. He doesn't like Hugo Wolf very much though.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  It was terrible back in the day but I've found it far more agreeable and more sensibly priced lately. It also had a better layout than many shops based on genre (British, Renaissance, Squeaky
                  Gate etc.)

What a terrible story

Yes, MMM closing was a big blow for Edinburgh and the surrounding districts' music lovers although, to be fair, Anne McAlister was retiring. I believe that a vinyl record shop is to take over the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Quite. He doesn't like Hugo Wolf very much though.
                    ... or indeed, Bernstein, if memory serves me.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                      ... or indeed, Bernstein, if memory serves me.
                      He once said to me when I was offering a number of CDs for sale: 'I don't want any Bernstein, Karajan or Colin Davis. They don't sell and they weren't very good conductors'
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        He once said to me when I was offering a number of CDs for sale: 'I don't want any Bernstein, Karajan or Colin Davis. They don't sell and they weren't very good conductors'
                        He was never one to hold back his opinions! Sadly Gramex has lost a lot of its buzz over the years and the current cellar site is rather sad. Roger himself is ageing of course (aren't we all!) but I'm sure he will continue as long a physically possible, it's his life.

Comment

This page gives the name of the limited company as Harold Moores Records Ltd .
                          http://www.hmrecords.co.uk/index.php...mation/contact

Companies House info here (Co no. 04730743):-
                          https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04730743

(The accounts to 31/12/15 -available on the filed documents tab - show large liabilities, but its unclear what the nature of the liabilities were on that day….).

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                            He was never one to hold back his opinions! Sadly Gramex has lost a lot of its buzz over the years and the current cellar site is rather sad. Roger himself is ageing of course (aren't we all!) but I'm sure he will continue as long a physically possible, it's his life.
                            Haven't been in UK since before it moved 'below stairs' - but even when it moved from across the road, the 'new' shop did seem somewhat a shadow of its former self. Roger is a fair bit over 80, I believe; I don't know if he still cycles in from Clapham. I think he'll carry on until his last breath, and when he is no longer at his desk, the shop will finally vanish too, I fear.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              Haven't been in UK since before it moved 'below stairs' - but even when it moved from across the road, the 'new' shop did seem somewhat a shadow of its former self. Roger is a fair bit over 80, I believe; I don't know if he still cycles in from Clapham. I think he'll carry on until his last breath, and when he is no longer at his desk, the shop will finally vanish too, I fear.
                              Perhaps we as this forum should get some crowd finding together, and go up there and put in an offer for the place then!

(One of the growing problems with these little independent retailers of course, especially in London, is ever-rising ground rents; but that's another story).

Comment

Working...
                              X