Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    This 12 CD set of the Frank Sinatra Capitol Years is a stonking bargain - true, you don't get the original cover art, but the remasterings are fabulous and there are generous bonus tracks on most of the discs. I am bowled over by the man himself, the wonderful orchestrations and so many terrific songs I didn't know. Treat yourself!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capitol-Yea...+years+box+set
    I had seen the set, and having most if not all the tracks on Capitol CDs I have not purchased the bargain set. Thatveraof Sinatra's career to me is the peak when the Top of their trade arrangers, Billy May and Nelson Riddle tailored to Sinatra's voice. What is the sound quality like as unlike the earlier ones mastered from original tapes, these must be out of copyright copies from vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      U

I hadn't checked what was in the set ascI have all the main Free albums from when they were reissued with bonus tracks some years ago. Tons was possibly their best ever!
      It's the run of studio albums from s/t (1969) to Heartrbreaker (1973), bypassing Free Live (of course). It makes a sort of logical sense but it stops it from being a one-stop shop for the studio albums.

I also bought the 2002 remasters: Paul's Kossoff's face has been staring down at me from the spines for years!

Comment

Some good Jazz bargains to be had in the Cambridge Circus Fopp if anyone's in the smoke. I picked up two 4 CD sets devoted to Jackie McClean and Art Taylor respectively.

Also paid a visit to Gramex - Roger in very fine form!

Comment

5 Big Country albums brand new, for under £6 delivered.

great for the car.

and UB 40, five for less than a fiver. Also good car fare..

Last edited by teamsaint; 23-07-17, 23:45.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

When is a bargain a bargain? I find it infuriating when Amazon list CDs with no track list whatsoever and Having to search elsewhere on the net, often in vain, for details.

Comment

I had seen the set, and having most if not all the tracks on Capitol CDs I have not purchased the bargain set. Thatveraof Sinatra's career to me is the peak when the Top of their trade arrangers, Billy May and Nelson Riddle tailored to Sinatra's voice. What is the sound quality like as unlike the earlier ones mastered from original tapes, these must be out of copyright copies from vinyl.
              Sorry, Cloughie - I must have missed your reply all those months ago. By now you have probably decided that you don't want to invest in more discs. I have to say that to my ears, the transfers in this set are quite remarkable. And as you say, what an era it was for those arrangers - every disc is a delight.

Comment

Talking of golden eras, this 5 disc original album set of Shirley Bassey is a fantastic bargain. She is at the height of her powers (in the 1970s) and the arrangements, the majority by Johnny Harris, are just superb. I got the set for around £6.

Comment

Talking of golden eras, this 5 disc original album set of Shirley Bassey is a fantastic bargain. She is at the height of her powers (in the 1970s) and the arrangements, the majority by Johnny Harris, are just superb. I got the set for around £6.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Al...shirley+bassey
                  I guess that must be all her UA albums. Looks like good songs and arrangements. Shirley gives her all to her performances though occasionally her mannerisms annoy me slightly, like the way she slurs her way up to notes, and sometimes being slightly below the note. I don't know if you like Vikki Carr but some of her compilations are very good and I have a particular favourite in her Discovery albums which are available on a single CD. Great versions of 'Surrey with the Fringe on Top', 'When in Rome' and 'So in Love'.

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Al...shirley+bassey
                    Excellent product for clearing wax from the ears, I've found!

Comment

A 6-CD Reader's Digest compilation of music from the 'Dance Band Days, complete with excellent notes. £2.50 from a charity shop.

Comment

I guess that must be all her UA albums. Looks like good songs and arrangements. Shirley gives her all to her performances though occasionally her mannerisms annoy me slightly, like the way she slurs her way up to notes, and sometimes being slightly below the note. I don't know if you like Vikki Carr but some of her compilations are very good and I have a particular favourite in her Discovery albums which are available on a single CD. Great versions of 'Surrey with the Fringe on Top', 'When in Rome' and 'So in Love'.
                        In fact, the set contains five Parlophone albums, now reissued by Warner. Funnily enough, I have just started listening to Vikki Carr and like what I hear.

Serial Apologist, I hope your comment is not meant unkindly...poor Shirley!

Comment

Working...
                        X