Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opposite of bargain

Reductions on Everest from Qobuz. “Reduced” from £26 to £14 for a single 16 bit album (slightly more for hi res)

Really?!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Reductions on Everest from Qobuz. “Reduced” from £26 to £14 for a single 16 bit album (slightly more for hi res)

Really?!!!!!!!
    I wonder which recordings they are/were. Some "Everest" recordings were available very cheaply on CD a while back from sources such as CD Selections (which now seems completely defunct - useful when it was active) - and some of the recordings seemed to be "fakes" - or at least not by the artists claimed on the covers. I think some Everest recordings were claimed to be very good - "back in the day" - but not sure that they'd stand up to modern recordings, at least for audio quality.

I think I paid about 99p per CD - certainly not very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I wonder which recordings they are/were. Some "Everest" recordings were available very cheaply on CD a while back from sources such as CD Selections (which now seems completely defunct - useful when it was active) - and some of the recordings seemed to be "fakes" - or at least not by the artists claimed on the covers. I think some Everest recordings were claimed to be very good - "back in the day" - but not sure that they'd stand up to modern recordings, at least for audio quality.

I think I paid about 99p per CD - certainly not very much.
      I have some fakes and they sound pretty ropey....

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        I have some fakes and they sound pretty ropey....
        There were some which not exactly fakes but misguidedly mastered with gaps where gaps just shouldn't be!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          There were some which not exactly fakes but misguidedly mastered with gaps where gaps just shouldn't be!
          I can't remember the details, but I think some might have been "spurious".

Comment

Those famous Everest 35mm film transfers to 24/96 of Boult's VW9 premiere, and the 16/44.1 of the Hindemith E Flat sound terrific in their current masterings on Qobuz. But my favourite is probably the Stravinsky Symphony in 3 Movements, with LSO/Goosens. That one can really shake the room! (It has just thundered to its conclusion...).
            Perhaps not the last word in refinement but it gets to the heart of things...(Walthamstow 1958).
            C/W Woody Herman's stunningly immediate Ebony Concerto. In-the-Room... And completely wonderful...
            Or try Markevitch in Lili Boulanger's Psalm 24.... vivid enough for you? Incoming!

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Checking out the detailed booklet notes to these (which go into great detail on remastering, and original recording techniques) and spot-checking the SQ, they do appear to be a generous selection of the vividly recorded real & excellent thing.... (Which seems to have kept me up, long into the night, tonight...Stokowski's Houston SO Bartok Concerto for Orchestra is Now Playing...wow. Shockwaves! Never heard that before in my life......another big winner.)

Fantastic catalogue then. And another very good reason to stream.... but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

Did you know that when Everest hit trouble, Robert Fine bought the studio, and all of its recording equipment? He used it for Mercury, Command and so on. I think there's an audible lineage.....

(​BTW Mathias - thanks for giving me a Night to Remember...)
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-11-18, 07:01.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Those famous Everest 35mm film transfers to 24/96 of Boult's VW9 premiere, and the 16/44.1 of the Hindemith E Flat sound terrific in their current masterings on Qobuz. But my favourite is probably the Stravinsky Symphony in 3 Movements, with LSO/Goosens. That one can really shake the room! (It has just thundered to its conclusion...).
              Perhaps not the last word in refinement but it gets to the heart of things...(Walthamstow 1958).
              C/W Woody Herman's stunningly immediate Ebony Concerto. In-the-Room... And completely wonderful...
              Or try Markevitch in Lili Boulanger's Psalm 24.... vivid enough for you? Incoming!

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Checking out the detailed booklet notes to these (which go into great detail on remastering, and original recording techniques) and spot-checking the SQ, they do appear to be a generous selection of the vividly recorded real & excellent thing.... (Which seems to have kept me up, long into the night, tonight...Stokowski's Houston SO Bartok Concerto for Orchestra is Now Playing...wow. Shockwaves! Never heard that before in my life......another big winner.)

Fantastic catalogue then. And another very good reason to stream.... but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

Did you know that when Everest hit trouble, Robert Fine bought the studio, and all of its recording equipment? He used it for Mercury, Command and so on. I think there's an audible lineage.....

(​BTW Mathias - thanks for giving me a Night to Remember...)
              There were two series EVC90.. from several years ago which are mainly very good including Stokowski and the NY Stadium SO in Tchaikovsky Francesca/Hamlet and RStrauss Don Juan/Till. Then there is the EVERCD0.. from more recent years which were not in gapless masters and so some disc suffer eg ballet scores! Jane those Command recordings would be lovely to see on CD!

Comment

Working...
              X