Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of a l'Oiseau Lyre disc!

I wonder if any of you kind souls can help me? Many moons ago, there was a Florilegium LP of Bach family trio sonatas performed by McGegan, Preston and Hogwood. It never made it to CD, except for just recently when it made up part of a big box of Hogwood's complete Bach recordings. I have all of those, so cannot justify buying the whole box just for one disc! Would anyone be kind enough to copy it to a CD and post it to me? All costs paid, of course. Thanks!

117 views but sadly nobody can help!

This is the disc in question:

Comment

Maybe you can hope that sometime the individual CDs may become available (though likely only as downloads), as has happened with some of the old Argo sets (King's Cambridge, for example).
      Maybe Presto would know if there are any plans?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Maybe you can hope that sometime the individual CDs may become available (though likely only as downloads), as has happened with some of the old Argo sets (King's Cambridge, for example).
        Maybe Presto would know if there are any plans?
        Yes, I live in hope, but I rather doubt it - and I really would like a copy on CD! Ah well, at least I still have the original LP.

Comment

I checked the Presto website to see if this was issued as a download, but couldn't find it. If you really want it on a CD, there are ways to digitize the lp and then burn the files onto a blank CD. There is free software that enables noise reduction, such as surface noise, pops, clicks, etc. I suspect that one day it will be issued as a download, at least in mp3

Comment

It just might be worth suggesting it as a Decca Eloquence release.

There's a 'Suggestion' link here:

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Yes, I live in hope, but I rather doubt it - and I really would like a copy on CD! Ah well, at least I still have the original LP.
              On good equipment some LPs really don't sound much different from CDs - though some are very much worse, and if the LPs are damaged then obviously there is a difference. If yours is in good condition, couldn't you digitise it and rip a blank CD? Doing that well may be quite hard, but it is surely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                On good equipment some LPs really don't sound much different from CDs - though some are very much worse, and if the LPs are damaged then obviously there is a difference. If yours is in good condition, couldn't you digitise it and rip a blank CD? Doing that well may be quite hard, but it is surely possible.
                What HiFi magazine December 2019 contains a helpful article about digitising a vinyl collection:

Is there an issue with the condition of the vinyl LP? There is in fact an identical 12" LP currently on offer on ebay from a US seller, description as follows:

"JS Bach, WF Bach, & CPE Bach LP Music for Two Flutes Stephen Preston, Nicholas McGegan Florilegium Series UK import DSLO 518. Vinyl is in solid very good plus condition towards excellent with a few minor light scratches, still glossy and nice. Insert is in very good plus condition with some minor wear to the corners, edges, and minor creasing. Cover is in very good condition with roughly 1" seam split on top edge, some seam and corner wear and creasing. All flaws are pictured as best as possible." Price USD 4.89, so it could be a risky purchase. Postage USD24 ramps up the cost.

hth
                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                  What HiFi magazine December 2019 contains a helpful article about digitising a vinyl collection:

Is there an issue with the condition of the vinyl LP? There is in fact an identical 12" LP currently on offer on ebay from a US seller, description as follows:

"JS Bach, WF Bach, & CPE Bach LP Music for Two Flutes Stephen Preston, Nicholas McGegan Florilegium Series UK import DSLO 518. Vinyl is in solid very good plus condition towards excellent with a few minor light scratches, still glossy and nice. Insert is in very good plus condition with some minor wear to the corners, edges, and minor creasing. Cover is in very good condition with roughly 1" seam split on top edge, some seam and corner wear and creasing. All flaws are pictured as best as possible." Price USD 4.89, so it could be a risky purchase. Postage USD24 ramps up the cost.

hth
                  Thank you folks, for all your kind suggestions. I do actually have a good copy of the LP, but sadly no longer a turntable! And even if I had that, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to digitise. Apologies from a baroque Luddite! As for that Eloquence suggestion, that's what I am hoping for...some long lost Hogwood recordings did finally emerge on the label, so who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    Thank you folks, for all your kind suggestions. I do actually have a good copy of the LP, but sadly no longer a turntable! And even if I had that, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to digitise. Apologies from a baroque Luddite! As for that Eloquence suggestion, that's what I am hoping for...some long lost Hogwood recordings did finally emerge on the label, so who knows?
                    Turntables are made these days with usb connections that can be hooked to a computer. These tend to be budget tables for people interested in digitizing their lps but will also function as a standard tt for conventional vinyl playback. I’ve seen them for as low as $60 here. If your goal is a one time playing of lps to digitize them they might be ok. $200 will buy a nicer Sony that probably sounds much better...

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Turntables are made these days with usb connections that can be hooked to a computer. These tend to be budget tables for people interested in digitizing their lps but will also function as a standard tt for conventional vinyl playback. I’ve seen them for as low as $60 here. If your goal is a one time playing of lps to digitize them they might be ok. $200 will buy a nicer Sony that probably sounds much better...
                      I'm sure Richard is right about this. There are indeed some (very - and nasty) cheap USB turntables, but I hear that a decent one (perhaps Sony - one has been mentioned here before) can be bought for around £300. It is possible to pay a lot more, or go for a stand alone turntable, then hook it up to a DAC etc., but the better USB turntable may be good enough for most people.

Which suggests a Sony model as a "not quite best buy" - Sony PS-LX300USB 68% £120.00 Reviewed Feb 2016 This record player is great value. It's in shops for less than £150, still produces excellent sound quality and digitises your records with ease. Although just short of a Best Buy, we still highly recommend this record player to those on a budget or wanting to test the waters. Actually this model seems to be more difficult to get right now, and the price is a bit over £150. Here is one from an Amazon market place seller - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=all - around £175.

There are some others - and a few rely on Audacity for the digital software (nothing really wrong with that ...). There is quite an expensive Pioneer for around £800.

Comment

But at that price, perhaps Micky would be better off buying the big box that's got the CD in, and selling off the duplicates!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          But at that price, perhaps Micky would be better off buying the big box that's got the CD in, and selling off the duplicates!
                          I'm not sure if this is the box which has those pieces in - https://www.discogs.com/The-Academy-...lease/10759194 - it may have one or two - try a search for 'Stephen Preston" on the web page. Maybe there is/was an even bigger box.

Comment

A bit surprised nobody has this box! Not really my repertoire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I'm not sure if this is the box which has those pieces in - https://www.discogs.com/The-Academy-...lease/10759194 - it may have one or two - try a search for 'Stephen Preston" on the web page. Maybe there is/was an even bigger box.
                              Yes, that's the one, Dave, but I already have 19 out of the 20 discs - that's why it's so infuriating!

Thanks, folks, for all that turntable info..I had no idea it was as easy as that, fascinating. Might well be worth considering, bearing in mind I also have quite a few other treasured LPs that never made it to CD.

Comment

Working...
                              X