Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in EU / Importing from EU (CDs) from 2021

I’ve started this thread as two aspects might fall to be discussed after the end of the Withdrawal Agreement.

CD etc imports
    I presume the import process for items such as CDs etc from the EU may well, now, be the same as the rest of the world – with anything in excess of £15 in value of a purchase resulting in a Royal Mail handling charge and payment of VAT required. Can we post information here as this becomes clearer?

Performers working in the EU
    The ability of performing artists to work in the EU and to tour over national boundaries without undue restriction.

It might be OT in another thread but I’ve seen no other mention of this matter discussed on “Front Row” on Monday (11th) nor noticed it in the press. It was the second of three segments in the programme. Specifically “in light of reports over the weekend that a reciprocal arrangement was offered the British government but was refused”. In discussion Berkeley made the point the refusal of government to comment doesn’t wash as they were briefing left right and centre during the negotiation process.

Its somewhat disgusting if true and the government deserves serious aggravation until they achieve a “side agreement” and help artists (and as a result all those who work with and for them) – who have been left with precious little support during the pandemic.

Let us hope Rattle can spare the time (Berkeley IIRC says he’s "weary") Board members of the Royal Opera H - maybe even the Prince of Wales and other luminaries can weigh in and give no 10 and Dowling some continuing grief. (The protest on Malcolm Arnold’s legal papers worked well enough….)

Front Row, Radio 4 on Monday -
    "Composer, broadcaster and cross bench member of the House of Lords Michael Berkeley is tabling a question to ministers about the issue affecting UK musicians who will no longer be able to viably tour Europe as a result of the recent Brexit deal. He tells Samira about his concerns in light of reports over the weekend that a reciprocal arrangement was offered the British government but was refused".
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r36y

I put this thread in the Bargains/CD Exchange section but I’m happy for it to be re-located or split….

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
    I’ve started this thread as two aspects might fall to be discussed after the end of the Withdrawal Agreement.

CD etc imports
    I presume the import process for items such as CDs etc from the EU may well, now, be the same as the rest of the world – with anything in excess of £15 in value of a purchase resulting in a Royal Mail handling charge and payment of VAT required. Can we post information here as this becomes clearer?
    What are you proposing - that we deliberately order "stuff" - including CDs - from other "EU" countries and then wait to see if we get charged exorbitant amounts because HMG has screwed things up?

Also, what is going to happen to firms such as the River People. Buying things from Italy or Germany often seems to result in a very quick dispatch from Dunfermline.

Comment

I've recently ordered some Catalan jazz CDs from Barcelona (recent discs by the fabulous Sant Andreu youth jazz band, which jazzers here will know). I'll report on what happens in terms of duty/handling charges when they get here. Also a book from Croatia (a new biography in English and Croatian about Lovro von Matačić). Once they get here, I'll post my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

CD etc imports
        I seem to remember reports that the government decided not to have the £15 arrangement for imports from the EU, but that decision was some years ago and they might have changed their mind.

A few days ago I ordered a battery for my Tivoli Pal radio from Tivoli Audio, not realising that stocks are shipped from Europe. Today I received the following email:

Due to the current climate between the EU and the UK, your parcel may take a little longer to ship or might not be able to ship at all. Once (or if) your product is shipped you will receive the track and trace code for your parcel so please keep an eye on your email for this. From then, it will take standard shipping time. If we cannot ship to the UK anymore, we will let you know immediately and you will be refunded. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          I seem to remember reports that the government decided not to have the £15 arrangement for imports from the EU, but that decision was some years ago and they might have changed their mind.
          From discussion on another forum I suspect those who attempt private imports from the EU are going to have a shock in a month or so once the new rules bed in - the required arrangement is for the EU supplier to register with HM customs + excise and to charge UK VAT on the sale (with no lowest value) and to remit the money so taken. If as I suspect will be the case for smaller suppliers this is too much overhead for what will be a small market then they will not supply - if they post without the required VAT paid indication then the private importer will have to contact Royal Mail (maybe other couriers are available) when notified of arrival in UK of goods and pay the VAT + a handling charge currently abt £8 + VAT before the goods will be released.

Larger suppliers such a eBay will it appears register and include VAT in the price quoted online.

You didn't think just Scottish fishermen + NI supermarkets were going to shafted did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            An English acquaintance tells me that a printer cartridge which he ordered from Canon on December 27th is due to arrive tomorrow - it turns out that stocks of this particular item - and many others I'm sure - are held in a warehouse in The Netherlands, which 'unfortunately' led to the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Ah but we’ll all be so much better off and wealthier that we’ll easily be able to afford any excess payments!

Can we refuse to pay, and send the goods back to another address? Perhaps 10 Do ........ ??

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Can we refuse to pay, and send the goods back to another address? Perhaps 10 Do ........ ??
                in order for goods to be sent I assume the sender has received some money just not the 25% the Government want

Comment

This is the sort of information that did not appear on the side of buses in 2016.

Comment

The first of several parcels due from Europe arrived this morning. Since it was a book (from Prague) there should have been no duty to pay, and there wasn't. Postman brought it in his usual round. Now I await the CDs from Barcelona and a book from Zagreb.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                      The first of several parcels due from Europe arrived this morning. Since it was a book (from Prague) there should have been no duty to pay, and there wasn't. Postman brought it in his usual round. Now I await the CDs from Barcelona and a book from Zagreb.

Make a nice title for something, that.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Make a nice title for something, that.
                        Perhaps a sequel to this?

Comment

I don’t know what experiences others have had recently but I have had a couple of orders from Momox, whom I used a lot before Brexit, good prices and no problem in delivery. Normal service resumed then, though I’ve not gone much into double figures on price. I think a momox mst be a German magpie!
                          Has anyone any recent experience of buying bigger items?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I don’t know what experiences others have had recently but I have had a couple of orders from Momox, whom I used a lot before Brexit, good prices and no problem in delivery. Normal service resumed then, though I’ve not gone much into double figures on price. I think a momox mst be a German magpie!
                            My most recent experience with a Momox order was extended claims that it was on the way but delayed, eventually followed, when challenged, by their cancelling the order and suggesting I reorder (at the now higher price).

Comment

Working...
                            X