• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auction of Classical LPs

I came across this and wondered if any of our number might be interested:

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    I came across this and wondered if any of our number might be interested:
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...5-adc50110cacf
    OPnly interested inasmuch as there are 78s being auctioned - I have a collection that never gets played, including one or two rarities.

Comment

Hope it's not a Forum member's collection.

I've got a very small number of 78s, that is: Bruno Walter and the VPO in Schubert 8 and Johann Strauss' Kaiserwalzer plus Kreisler playing the Mendelssohn VC with the LPO/Landon Ronald picked up in an antique shop nearly 50 years ago. I've also got about 700 LPs none of which I can play.

However, this thread has set me thinking about the rather large collection of duplicate CDs collecting dust upstairs and wondering if it would be worth my while trying to auction them off instead of getting the very few pennies offered by eg Musicmagpie. Charity shops don't want them and I'd like to make a bit of money out of them.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

eBay can be effective but it’s a slow and clumsy process as I found out when I sold a 100 cds for a friend over the summer.

Comment

A forum duplicate swop shop could maybe shift some surplus items. Postage costs could be kept down by removing the jewel cases!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            A forum duplicate swop shop could maybe shift some surplus items. Postage costs could be kept down by removing the jewel cases!
            We had this idea a long time ago but, perhaps for obvious reasons, it never took off. I did dispose of a number of duplicates to a Forum member a few years ago by way of a personal visit but the number of CDs has increased at an alarming rate with the purchase of those big boxes.

Trouble is the reasons why it never took off, postage and packing, compiling lists, endless faff of who wants what etc., make it barely worthwhile. I'd rather dispose of them as a job lot which is why I was wondering if there is any mileage in going for auction. I suspect not.

If anyone knows of an opportunity to make a few bob from them I'd like to know about it otherwise it's Musicmagpie's derisory pennies or the skip!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              There is one - or must be one in here: Forum -> Classical Forum -> Record Review -> Bargains/CD Exchange
              http://www.for3.org/forums/forumdisp...ns-CD-Exchange

- but little used it seems. The politeness - waiting for replies, changed minds etc would extend the work involved. Maybe sell at an auction (or Ebay, or some such) and link to the sale? If a member was terribly keen to acquire a recording it could be pulled early?. (The grouped approach (CDs, no vinyl) appeals to me as a potential seller, were I ever to grapple with that particular need.

p.s. I have approx 30 vinyl recordings/sets packed away - many for the booklets and photos. Nearly all of the records of interest to me have been transferred. I was given (before consignment to ? (Oxfam shop?) a Shellac copy of the oath duet with Caruso/Tito Ruffo - as I'd like to hear it on a HI horn/thorn player - I need to ask my acquaintance with the right equipment for a listen.... (roll on the end of these times ).

p.p.s. - I wish there was an owner's site with the booklet/leaflet from vinyl records - like its possible to find manuals for many appliances - vintage or otherwise. However, I suppose it would break copyright and undermine the value of vinyl records held by dealers - with only a download available, the only way to access many of the original booklets,as they are not provided is to buy the original vinyl...... which I have done, once or twice. The major weakness of the back catalogue of record companies (in particular the larger companies).
              Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 29-10-21, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                .........Trouble is the reasons why it never took off, postage and packing, compiling lists, endless faff of who wants what etc., make it barely worthwhile. I'd rather dispose of them as a job lot which is why I was wondering if there is any mileage in going for auction. I suspect not.
                - Yes, describing more successfully my thoughts.

Perhaps, for the forum, listing recordings of interest and a guarantee of no faff would work. For example, I felt I had to pass on the Barbirolli set - with the best will in the world, etc.... and he wasn't active much as a conductor when I started concert and then opera going. (Or, offer a bundle of that set duplications, and the acquirer sorts out retention?). I have some of the classic recordings but could possibly think of some more......

Oxfam bookshops are still taking CDs I think - aren't they? Although, I have to say I stopped going at the outbreak of Covid and was disenchanted with their River People minus delivery charge price match policy well before March 2020. But they managed to sell the CDs at those prices so someone must be buying.......

From the stacks of Popular Music CDs, magazine cover surveys/compilations I can see in the average charity shop I can see why they are beginning to say "no more" - why would they be bought. However - our Classical CDs do have a market and booklets that matter, as opposed to "tracks" and their listing on Albums which is all that's needed and can be replicated from the streamers on a mobile phone instantly......

Comment

Our local Oxfam were recently bequeathed almost 20,000 cds from an avid collector. Inevitably, they are being drip fed but the problem is that a lot of what’s sitting in the shop in mainstream recordings which are being sold at £2.99. The turnover of stock is therefore very slow which is attributable to these discs already being owned by collectors. The same discs are also available for pennies on Amazon.

Comment

Edinburgh - the Enlightenment, the Athens of the North - and a hot spot for classical music enthusiasts reaching the end of their days, to judge by your regular posts of acquisitions. All those mainstream recordings clogging up your supply lines for the more interesting stuff then, PG?

Oxfam has an online sales outlet but IIRC its based by the originating shop. (I once bought the CD for Torsten Rasch's Mein Herz Brennt (tipped by Rob Cowan as a modern classic) - a DG import, from the Sheffield Oxfam online). PErhaps they should batch them together as job lots........

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      Edinburgh - the Enlightenment, the Athens of the North - and a hot spot for classical music enthusiasts reaching the end of their days, to judge by your regular posts of acquisitions. All those mainstream recordings clogging up your supply lines for the more interesting stuff then, PG?

Oxfam has an online sales outlet but IIRC its based by the originating shop. (I once bought the CD for Torsten Rasch's Mein Herz Brennt (tipped by Rob Cowan as a modern classic) - a DG import, from the Sheffield Oxfam online). PErhaps they should batch them together as job lots........
                      Well, god knows what’ll happen to my collection when I shuffle off…. Probably end up in a skip!

Selling them for a pound might be a better policy but if £2.99 is the asking price then customers have the choice of paying up or leaving alone. Mind you, the Oxfam book and music shop in another part of Edinburgh has a Nathan Milstein cd for a mere £49.99.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Well, god knows what’ll happen to my collection when I shuffle off…. Probably end up in a skip!
                        And yet we still buy more! I've got four big boxes lined up for Christmas and that means a load more duplications. I've told my brother, who will have the melancholy task, to put my entire collection into auction when I go.

Comment

And yet we still buy more! I've got four big boxes lined up for Christmas and that means a load more duplications. I've told my brother, who will have the melancholy task, to put my entire collection into auction when I go.
                          Sounds like it might depress the value of Classical CDs on the secondhand market. (In my case, it might have a more localised effect).

Comment

Another site does seem to succeed in getting some stuff shifted, though it's mostly pop and jazz stuff. Basically I think you put up a list of what you've got - possibly with prices, and see whether anyone is interested. I did buy a set of Bach cantatas from someone who posted on that site.

If you're prepared to give it a go it's here - https://theartofsound.net/forum/

Selling in bundles might be a way to go to optimise postage and the hassle of packing - assuming anyone wants to play.

A current example posting is here - https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-CD-Collection

Comment

Working...
                            X