Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momox CDs

I think this topic has been discussed before on the Forum. I regularly buy 2nd hand CDs from Marketplace dealers on Amazon and on the whole am fairly satisfied with the conditions of the discs when they arrive. Of late I have had to complain several times to Momox about the misleading descriptions of discs. Often advertised as Good or Very Good, the jackets are sometimes very worn or creased and sometimes booklets are missing. To be fair, Momox reimburse my money, but I would rather they described the state of the discs more accurately in the first place. Anyone else had similar problems?

A with MusicMagpie, those missing booklets are the occasional reason I've had to reclaim money from Momox. Notes and texts are often the chief reason one might be buying hard copy CDs, rather than streaming the same performances online. Considering the number of purchases I've received from their German warehouse, though, the number of problems has been surprisingly small. I've found their disc descriptions more reliable than MusicMagpie's, but that might be luck rather than judgement.

I'm most often grateful to Momox in sourcing out of print German CDs for relatively little money - recently I've put together the complete out-of-print operatic output of Dessau on Berlin Classics from Momox, for remarkably little money - four wonderful operas, to go with the supreme Lanzelot from Accord, which I was reviewing for Opera. That left me hungry for more, and though I could stream them easily enough, Berlin Classics' booklets and texts enhance the experience no end. Thank you Momox!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
      A with MusicMagpie, those missing booklets are the occasional reason I've had to reclaim money from Momox. Notes and texts are often the chief reason one might be buying hard copy CDs, rather than streaming the same performances online. Considering the number of purchases I've received from their German warehouse, though, the number of problems has been surprisingly small. I've found their disc descriptions more reliable than MusicMagpie's, but that might be luck rather than judgement.

I'm most often grateful to Momox in sourcing out of print German CDs for relatively little money - recently I've put together the complete out-of-print operatic output of Dessau on Berlin Classics from Momox, for remarkably little money - four wonderful operas, to go with the supreme Lanzelot from Accord, which I was reviewing for Opera. That left me hungry for more, and though I could stream them easily enough, Berlin Classics' booklets and texts enhance the experience no end. Thank you Momox!
      Not often mentioned here: I particularly like his Bach Variations, but have never heard any of his operas.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I think this topic has been discussed before on the Forum. I regularly buy 2nd hand CDs from Marketplace dealers on Amazon and on the whole am fairly satisfied with the conditions of the discs when they arrive. Of late I have had to complain several times to Momox about the misleading descriptions of discs. Often advertised as Good or Very Good, the jackets are sometimes very worn or creased and sometimes booklets are missing. To be fair, Momox reimburse my money, but I would rather they described the state of the discs more accurately in the first place. Anyone else had similar problems?
        Just ordered the Gaigg/DHM CD of the Schubert 5 from Momox - I'll let you know....
        Up to the end of 2021 I see from the record they were pretty good for me....

(Don't forget too, most booklets are now included on streaming services, especially with any recent releases. Older Universals DG, Decca etc., often aren't though).
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-03-23, 18:00.

Comment

Momox got back to me this morning, giving me a list of how they describe the different conditions of their CDs. 'Good' means that the article shows possible signs of wear. I can vouch for that, the latest one received looks like it has been kicked round the room several times. I'll be returning it and probably giving Momox a miss for the time being.

Comment

So far, I have not had a dodgy disc from Momox, indeed, several I have received have been in rather better condition than one might expect from the "Like New" to "Acceptble|" ratings. One, described merely as "Very Good", turned out to still be in its film wrap.
            Last edited by Bryn; 28-02-23, 13:45. Reason: Typo (a few sticky keys, such as the "x").

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              So far, I have not had a dodgy disc from Momo, indeed, several I have received have been in rather better condition than one might expect from the "Like New" to "Acceptble|" ratings. One, described merely as "Very Good", turned out to still be in its film wrap.
              OK, obviously the luck of the draw, Bryn!

Comment

I'm probably less fussy than most, as long as it plays ok and has a booklet I'm happy. I load the CDs onto my computer anyway so I only play them once.

I have had occasional issues (unplayable, missing or wrong CD) but it's pretty rare and I find Momox and Magpie very good and willing to refund immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Not often mentioned here: I particularly like his Bach Variations, but have never heard any of his operas.
                  They have all been excellent (I've still to sit down with Die Verurteilung des Lucullus) with music which keeps you on the edge of the seat, never quite sure what's coming next, and masterly theatricality. Only rider ... you need a text to follow, as most are fast moving with loads of characters; and you'll need good enough German, as there are no English translations included with the libretti, even for the new Lanzelot on Accord. Dessau is my find of the year, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                    They have all been excellent (I've still to sit down with Die Verurteilung des Lucullus) with music which keeps you on the edge of the seat, never quite sure what's coming next, and masterly theatricality. Only rider ... you need a text to follow, as most are fast moving with loads of characters; and you'll need good enough German, as there are no English translations included with the libretti, even for the new Lanzelot on Accord. Dessau is my find of the year, for sure.
                    I've ordered from Momox and no issues. I rarely look at the booklets these days, prefer to google and save my eyesight

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Just ordered the Gaigg/DHM CD of the Schubert 5 from Momox - I'll let you know....
                      Up to the end of 2021 I see from the record they were pretty good for me....

(Don't forget too, most booklets are now included on streaming services, especially with any recent releases. Older Universals DG, Decca etc., often aren't though).
                      So this just got here.... "very good" - at least that, like New really. Took a bit longer than previously, 18/02 - 03/03.... sent postnl....
                      Bought from Amazon.de, for a fraction of the price on Amazon.uk (even with delivery)....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        So this just got here.... "very good" - at least that, like New really. Took a bit longer than previously, 18/02 - 03/03.... sent postnl....
                        Bought from Amazon.de, for a fraction of the price on Amazon.uk (even with delivery)....
                        Good for you, I obviously drew the short straw!

Comment

Sadly Momox disappointed me again today - a set of the Biber Rosenkrantz sonatas arrived in good condition, but missing the booklet. I find it strange that checks are not made before sending out items.

Comment

I must admit, as a seller of cds particularly classical ones myself I don't often find really rough condition items in the collections I buy, so perhaps some warehouse worker has done what I must admit to having done before, said "this came from the J Smith collection, his items are all near new" and just graded that way over and over.
                            Missing booklets, though, is another thing entirely!

The grading system for records and cds really is confusing. Very good doesn't actually mean all that nice condition wise, very good plus is what I would describe as used but excellent, and near mint I would say is like new.
                            I collect 78s as well and they have a different grading system entirely, which includes the grade "excellent" which I am much happier using.

Comment

To my dismay, I find that yet another Momox box set (in good condition) is missing its booklet. Checks are obviously not made often enough...when a set is put up for sale, it really should be stated that booklets are missing. Momox usually ask if I want money taken off or that I return the set for a refund. The former means you have an incomplete item and the latter is an onerous and costly exercise. If I knew at the start that a essential part of the set was missing, I wouldn't order it.

Comment

Working...
                              X