X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Also at Sainsburys (online) is Ligeti's Le Grand Macacre on Blu-ray, £18.99 including p&p. That's around £10 less than most suppliers are asking.

Sample here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AX7PZE9VdI
    I suppose that's about a large Scottish field?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Naughty

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Well the clip certainly has something to do with 'farmers', but I'm not too sure they are specifically Scottish farmers. You'd need to check that with Giles.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Decided to delete this rubbish post I made yesterday
          Last edited by visualnickmos; 05-09-12, 20:04. Reason: my post was rubbish

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Some Sony box sets continue to seem very good value, particularly if you can get them when the price is low, either direct from Amazon or from the marketplace sellers. Currently Walter in Mozart symphonies etc (6 CDs) for just over a tenner including postage from some sellers - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walter...6814322&sr=8-1

The Wand Bruckner set, which I pointed out earlier, seems to have roller coaster or yo-yo pricing. Unless very keen wait until the price is low - which seems to come round every few days.

Others in this series of box sets which might be worth exploring include sets by Munch, and Leinsdorf in Prokofiev, and Slatkin in VW.
            Check the prices before hitting the send button - they can vary considerably. For example Slatkin VW symphonies set - which I ordered for £9.75 including delivery - a week or so back. Now it's £23 (Amazon) or £13.28 + delivery from marketplace sellers.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Speaking of yo-yo-ing prices, you'd be hard pushed to beat 'Furtwangler Conducts Beethoven' (Music & Arts). I bought it in July for £22.

It's now a whopping £727.64!!!

(BTW, only 3 left in stock--order soon.)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Speaking of yo-yo-ing prices, you'd be hard pushed to beat 'Furtwangler Conducts Beethoven' (Music & Arts). I bought it in July for £22.

It's now a whopping £727.64!!!

(BTW, only 3 left in stock--order soon.)
                Bravo Thropplenoggin! - what's it like?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Bravo Thropplenoggin! - what's it like?
                  Numbers 3, 5, 7 and 9 and the Coriolan overture are shattering experiences. Even the jolly(ish) 4 is turned into tense turmoil with a few visceral crescendos. One of the best purchases of the year to date but not one to return to on a daily basis - my nerves can't take it!

Comment

• amateur51

Numbers 3, 5, 7 and 9 and the Coriolan overture are shattering experiences. Even the jolly(ish) 4 is turned into tense turmoil with a few visceral crescendos. One of the best purchases of the year to date but not one to return to on a daily basis - my nerves can't take it!
                    That's a result then, Thropplenoggin

Is this the set?

Furtwängler conducts Beethoven. Music & Arts: MACD4049. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Tilla Briem (soprano), Elisabeth Höngen (contralto), Peter Anders (tenor), Rudolf Watzke (bass) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Berliner Philharmoniker, Philharmonic Choir, Wilhelm Furtwängler

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Amateur51: that's the fella. A real revelation and the sound has been very impressively cleaned up. It's available on Spotify if you want to 'try before you buy'.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        SUCH a wonderful composer. Beautiful textures. Once got to meet him briefly!

Comment

• amateur51

Amateur51: that's the fella. A real revelation and the sound has been very impressively cleaned up. It's available on Spotify if you want to 'try before you buy'.
                          Cheers Thropplenoggin - have just done so & it's a cert for my post holiday list

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                            SUCH a wonderful composer. Beautiful textures. Once got to meet him briefly!
                            Oh lucky you, mathias broucek - any chance of the story behind it?

I think this set is a stunning bargain

Comment

• amateur51

Not a brand new bargain but a bargain none-the-less ...

Andreas Staier 10 CDs for under £14 inc P&P

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

looking for a decent complete Haydn SQ set at a daft(low, obviously) price. Can't really find one. Anybody help?
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X