Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka

I bought the Melos Icon box for a similar price (just over £18) from an Play.com merchant earlier this year: it is incredible value and the standard of performacne if uniformly excellent!

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Interesting mix of familiar and unfamiliar repertoire too!
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

A bunch of CDs from a Windsor charity shop today:

Britten Sinfonia "songs of the sky" (Martland, Watkins, O'Regan, Yarde & Tavener) - brand new, still in wrapper, £1.00

Bach concertos for harpsichord and strings - The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock - used but in very good condition, £1.50

Marisa Robles - Harp Concertos by Handel, Boieldieu andf Dittersdorf, etc. - used but in very good condition, £1.50

Julian Lloyd Webber/John McCabe - Cello Sonatas by Britten and Shostakovich + Prokofiev's Ballad, Op. 15 - used but in very good condition, £1.50

oh, and Animal Farm ("Complete and Unabridged") read by Simon Callow (3 CDs) - brand new, still in wrapper, £2.50.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Anyone living within striking distance of Bracknell is recommended to visit the Sebastian's Action Trust charity shop at 5 Crossway. They have recently been donated a rather significant number of interesting CDs, many of them classical in genre. I have just spent £34 in there at their 3 for £2 rate. However, there are still many that remain that would be of particular interest to those attracted to the outer fringes of especially British and Irish music of the past two centuries. Many are the CDs I passed over due to the sole fact that I already had them, though I did get a spare 3 disc set of Maconchy String Quartets, which I insisted on paying the £2 for despite their wanting to give it to me as a bonus item. I'm sure I can find a deserving person to give them to.

Oh, and many of the CDs are brand new Naxos and Marco Polo issues still in their plastic film wrappers.

Comment

• Parry1912
            • Nov 2010

Sainsbury's have good pre-order prices on a couple of the new EMI Klemperer boxes mentioned on the New Releases thread:

Beethoven - Symphonies, etc.: http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11133732

Bruckner - Symphonies 4 - 9: http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11133733
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

I've already asked this but response came there none.

Do Sainsbury's deliver abroad? I've searched their FAQ but found nothing pertaining to deliveries.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

thanks for the amazon melos tip just purchased, in the process discovered Schnabel Beethoven Sonatas for £1-09!
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  thanks for the amazon melos tip just purchased, in the process discovered Schnabel Beethoven Sonatas for £1-09!
                  An astonishing bargain, Calum (even without the Op 110 Sonata).

And, further to the Melos box previously mentioned, did anyone notice on the "People who bought this also bought ... " link:

Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Janacek, Birtwistle, PMD and many others, including their superb Ravel Intro & Allegro - all for £7.49!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    I can trump you in cheapskating. A few months ago for some reason Amazon offered me £1 off an mp3 download, so I got it for 9p.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                      Do Sainsbury's deliver abroad? I've searched their FAQ but found nothing pertaining to deliveries.
                      Doesn't look like it, Throggle; the "Delivery Information" states:

Sainsbury’s Entertainment confirm that all deliveries are made free of charge to all UK postal addresses.

Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver our products to any address outside the UK or to the Isle of Man, Orkney, Shetland and Scottish Islands and BFPO addresses.

Sorry.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Doesn't look like it, Throggle; the "Delivery Information" states:

Sainsbury’s Entertainment confirm that all deliveries are made free of charge to all UK postal addresses.

Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver our products to any address outside the UK or to the Isle of Man, Orkney, Shetland and Scottish Islands and BFPO addresses.

Sorry.
                        Thanks for that! At least I know not to get excited when Sainsbury's links appear on here in future.

Comment

• amateur51

Just spotted this Naxos 'sale' from Naxos Direct ...

Welcome to Naxos Direct UK online store. We deliver the best Classical, Opera and Jazz recordings on CD, SACD, DVD and Blu-ray.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            I can trump you in cheapskating. A few months ago for some reason Amazon offered me £1 off an mp3 download, so I got it for 9p.
                            I hope you put the penny change from your 10p in the charity box on the counter !!
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Just spotted this Naxos 'sale' from Naxos Direct ...

Welcome to Naxos Direct UK online store. We deliver the best Classical, Opera and Jazz recordings on CD, SACD, DVD and Blu-ray.

Interesting to note that Pfitzner turns up as a conductor of Beethoven here.

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

Also, for those whose interest in Clementi's keyboard music has been kindled by the recent CotW, there is a disc of Susan Alexander-Max playing several of his sonatas, apparently on a copy of a Michael Rosenberger fortepiano. Reviews seem to have been generally complimentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X