Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I have a few Brendel/Schubert LPs and finally decided to upgrade to CD. I ordered the box earlier today from Play.com (more expensive elsewhere) and have already received an email to say it has been posted.

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I have a few Brendel/Schubert LPs and finally decided to upgrade to CD. I ordered the box earlier today from Play.com (more expensive elsewhere) and have already received an email to say it has been posted.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/17764220/-/Product.html
      He recorded two setsdid he not ? Are these the earlier or later versions ?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        He recorded two setsdid he not ? Are these the earlier or later versions ?
        These are his later (1987-8) digital versions.

Very good, needless to say, but not as good as the earlier analogue ones, in my opinion.

The analogue ones are still available in a 7CD set on the Decca Eloquence label:

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

The analogue ones are still available in a 7CD set on the Decca Eloquence label:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brendel-Spie...9771037&sr=1-5
          Indeed, though with AMSI audio processing imposed on the transfers.

This discusses the perceived results of AMSI processing, though the example links are no longer extant.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

This discusses the perceived results of AMSI processing, though the example links are no longer extant.
            I didn't (still don't) know much about AMSI. I found this which gives some clues - see note from the remastering studio. While it might work for users with some surround systems it seems highly likely to reduce SQ for regular stereo listeners. If "they" want to tinker with surround, perhaps they should issue such recordings on hybrid SACDs, so that anyone who wants to listen to the vanilla version can do so using the CD layer.

Comment

• amateur51

Please could some of these posts about technical matters be transferred over to a thread on the Techie Board?

I keep thinking that a bargain has been discovered and stone me it's another post of technical chat.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Please could some of these posts about technical matters be transferred over to a thread on the Techie Board?

I keep thinking that a bargain has been discovered and stone me it's another post of technical chat.
                Sorry, am, but I don't see how this could be done without at least inserting a link into this thread and cross posting, which you might have found equally troublesome. Bryn's point about the analogue recordings having been "enhanced" by AMSI seemed helpful for anyone who wanted the earlier Brendel set, and I'm afraid I compounded this problem for you by finding a link which gave some clues as to what AMSI is.

No bargains today - though I may try looking in the local HMV shop tomorrow - as pointed out a bit earlier in this thread.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Sorry, am, but I don't see how this could be done without at least inserting a link into this thread and cross posting, which you might have found equally troublesome. Bryn's point about the analogue recordings having been "enhanced" by AMSI seemed helpful for anyone who wanted the earlier Brendel set, and I'm afraid I compounded this problem for you by finding a link which gave some clues as to what AMSI is.

No bargains today - though I may try looking in the local HMV shop tomorrow - as pointed out a bit earlier in this thread.
                  Point taken Dave2002

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Point taken Dave2002
                      My point being that the 'bargain' nature of the AMSI treated issues is somewhat questionable if the most widely used stereo option has degraded audio quality. Thankfully the Australian Eloquence issues appear not to use such processing. Hopefully Universal has now abandoned its use too. When I tried a link to a Berliner Studios link re. AMSI posted on another discussion board, it turned out to be no longer extant. With luck that indicates AMSI's demise as far as new European Eloquence issued are concerned too.

Remember artificial stereo LPs? AMSI is the modern digital equivalent for fake surround and messes with the 2 channel stereo image while it's at it.

I have not found time to watch/listen to it yet, but this double Barenboim DVD set:

seems a bargain at £8.69 from amazon.co.uk. Search "Film and TV" there for "Barenboim Jubilee Concert" without the quote marks.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 09-10-12, 15:03. Reason: Tyoos

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

. . . but it seems a bargain at £8.69 from amazon.co.uk.
                        It IS a bargain. Watched it couple of days ago. Barenboim back home - quite a party atmosphere. Fourteen encores would you believe. And what a magnificent venue!
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Don Petter

At the risk of upsetting am51 (though it seems to me that the technical quality/shortcomings of the offerings being discussed are very germane to whether they are bargains or not) -

Bryn,

You have had the AMSI Brendel set since last March. What do you think of the AMSI processing? Have you had a chance to compare with any of the earlier, not so-treated, incarnations?

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

Philips 50 - 55cd set of Philips' Originals for €17.59 (€24.44 delivered)

Nothing technical about this one!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post

Despite the many duplications, duly ordered.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post

Hafod, you beauty!

Comment

Working...
                                X