X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Damn it! I've only had the one vodka and apple juice tonight, but that threw me. I just could not think of the right name for those concertos for various instruments. In the end I Googled "battenberg concertos bach" to get me out of my misery. I just can't get on with Boult's versions. The bottom of the barrel in that collection, for my money. Give me W. Carlos over Boult any day in those works.
    Sorry Bryn, didn't mean to spoil your evening. And thanks for the correction to my cake-spelling!

To be honest, my anticipation of sampling Boult's Bach is grounded more on curiosity than on absolute confidence. I've noted other posters' enthusiasm for them and so am not without hopes of deriving stimulus and enjoyment, even though I'd be very surprised if they became my desert island recordings. My confidence is higher for the Brahms Serenades, and the Wagners that I don't have on LP. I know the Brahms and Schubert symphonies but not the Mozart and Beethoven. So plenty of new acquaintances to make and old pleasures to repeat.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Go straight for the Beethoven 6 Schubert 9 and Brahms 2

I am surprised that you do not like the Mozart - unless you are an unreconstructed HIPPite ! The Jupiter won non HIPP BAL only this year.
      Also the Wagner chunks are refreshingly played.....

Comment

• martin_opera

A possible treat for fans of Leonard Warren here. Promises much with 10 CDs but on closer inspection (track listing) this isn't the full operas or even sensible highlights. Instead we get only those arias and duets with Warren himself - no bad thing but could have been so much more. For example, for the Previtalti Forza we don't hear Milanov's Leonora nor do we get much of Leontyne Price on the Basile Trovatore. We also get most of Act 3 of the Perlea Aida but that's all - precious little Bjorling. Still a nice collection but the thing with Warren is that granite voice can be a little monotonous after a while if it's not interspersed with something else. Much will depend on the transfers I think - will try and listen before buying.

Comment

• martin_opera

The cheapest Ring I've ever seen here but what's the perceived wisdom on the Furtwangler and is this the same Keilberth that was re-released by Testament a few years ago. If so I've got that and it cost me an arm and a leg!

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
            ... is this the same Keilberth that was re-released by Testament a few years ago.
            Can't answer your question, Martin, but the Testament was a first not a re-release. That whole cycle was suppressed by John Culshaw when he decided to record the Solti Ring.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
              The cheapest Ring I've ever seen here but what's the perceived wisdom on the Furtwangler and is this the same Keilberth that was re-released by Testament a few years ago. If so I've got that and it cost me an arm and a leg!
              You can get these recording even cheaper from http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/ where they cost just €1.00 per opera....

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                You can get these recording even cheaper from http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/ where they cost just €1.00 per opera....
                Thanks Mathias. I always forget this site.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Go straight for the Beethoven 6 Schubert 9 and Brahms 2

I am surprised that you do not like the Mozart - unless you are an unreconstructed HIPPite ! The Jupiter won non HIPP BAL only this year.
                  I do generally prefer HIPP performances, though a very good "conventional" one goes down very well. I'd rather hear a superb "conventional" performance than merely an OK HIPP one, but otherwise I know where my preferences lie.

I probably didn't dislike Boult's Mozart, but it just didn't do enough for me. There are other performances (and recordings - sound quality does have an influence too) which do as well or better IMO, which obviously differs from the recent BAL.

I'll get round to hearing the rest eventually - but I've still got many others stacked up to listen to - currently the Haydn keyboard music by Beghin on Naxos, and then there is the Staier set to get through!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    and then there is the Staier set to get through!
                    I'm enjoying this very much & I hope that you do too, Dave2002.

My Boult box is on its way, I'm told - yippee!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I'm enjoying this very much & I hope that you do too, Dave2002.

My Boult box is on its way, I'm told - yippee!
                      I think you'll be comme Edith Piaf!

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I think you'll be comme Edith Piaf!
                        ... in the sense of not regretting rien, rather than being a Nazi collaborator, I hope...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... in the sense of not regretting rien, rather than being a Nazi collaborator, I hope...
                          Of course I'd never accuse ammy of anything nasty!

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Now I've ordered the English Choral Music set too. I'm not sure that I'll really like it, but I'm prepared to give it a shot - though took a while for me to decide on this - and collect my Nectar points. At the price offered I probably won't regret it.

Comment

• amateur51

Bit late for that, vints

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Of course I'd never accuse ammy of anything nasty!
                                Cheers, cloughie! - I think

Comment

Working...
                                X