• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    If you're looking for some Wagner this 33 'CD' download from Amazon seems good value for £23...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Great...47283&sr=301-3
    I got the CD box at HMV Oxford Street around the time of its release. I paid around £35 IIRC. The current asking price for the CDs is crazy. None of the recordings in the set would be my first choice for the work in question. However, the download price does appear attractive for those who did not grab the box when it was going cheap.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Actually, five of these performances most certainly would be among my first choices, but then I think Böhm's Ring is superbly theatrical, and likewise his Tristan. Otherwise, it's less exciting, Varviso's Meistersinger is far from great, and some of the others are marginal. Still, at the price it's probably a good deal, though the Böhm Ring on its own is currently available from amazon marketplace sellers on real discs for less than 25 quid, which I'd say was an even better deal.

Comment

• Mandryka

Phillips/Universal missed a trick in not including the (currently oop) Boulez Ring recording in this set, rather than the Bohm.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

We'll have to agree to disagree there, Mandryka. Though I like quite a lot about the Boulez Ring, I think they made the right decision.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            We'll have to agree to disagree there, Mandryka. Though I like quite a lot about the Boulez Ring, I think they made the right decision.
            The Bohm is much better, but - as has been noted elsewhere - it can be purchased separately, unlike the other operas in this set. By sticking Boulez in there,the buyer could obtain a rarely-heard (and controversial) Ring, then buy the Bohm for a superior interpretation.

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

Sorry - I misunderstood you, Mandryka - that's a good point.

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                • Nov 2010

Currently available on Amazon - five sets of Sony Classical Masters: Gunter Wand conducting 9 Bruckner Symphonies, Budapest String Quartet playing the complete Beethoven cycle, Robert Casadesus in 5 CDs of Mozart, a 6 CD set of Erich Leinsdorf conducting Prokofiev and a box of 12 CDs of flute concertos played by James Galway. £5 per set including postage! If last Friday night is anything to go by they won't last long.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

You missed out the Levine Mahler. That makes six sets at £5 each. :cool2:

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

And the 25cd set "Classique - La Discothèque Idéale" also for £5 delivered (mine, ordered last friday, came today)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Indeed, and though the UK site has no itemised listing for it, the French site does:

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it from the UK site:

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        You missed out the Levine Mahler. That makes six sets at £5 each. :cool2:
                        Yes, I found that one later. Apparently it omits Nos 2 and 8.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lion-of-Vienna View Post
                          Yes, I found that one later. Apparently it omits Nos 2 and 8.
                          I don't think Levine recorded them, at least, not with RCA.

Comment

• Mandryka

'Classique Discotheque' so-called arrived this morning and very fine it looks, even though it does contain about 75 more minutes of Hildegard von Bingen's than I am ever likely to want to hear.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Just come across this Liszt doorstep.

I'm not a huge Liszt fan so it would plug a lot of gaps. Maybe it will convert me. The performances appear to be first-rate and it is certainly great value.

Cheapest here, as far as I can see:

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

I expect this site has been mentioned already that offers out of copyright recordings for 1 Euro per 'LP'.

As more recording come out of copyright I'd expect to see more sites like this. The downside is that the MP3s are only at 192 kbps. The link above is to the first page of the stereo recordings they offer. There are a lot more mono ones.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X