Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin

[QUOTE=martin_opera;237344]What makes us collect these things? I dunno. For me it's completeness and the neatness of all his recordings in one box that I can browse. There's also likely to be some great Verdi in there that I don't have in my collection.

But one thought - does it come in red?[/QUOTE]

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post

But one thought - does it come in red?
      ... with go louder stripes

Comment

• reinerfan
        • Nov 2010

I wonder if this a similar box to the one that I bought some weeks ago from Amazon Italia on the Decca label for the equivalent of about £65? There are only 74 discs in the set, but the versions included are some of the best in the catalogue. The box also contains a complete book of libretti, unfortunately only in Italian!

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
          I wonder if this a similar box to the one that I bought some weeks ago from Amazon Italia on the Decca label for the equivalent of about £65? There are only 74 discs in the set, but the versions included are some of the best in the catalogue. The box also contains a complete book of libretti, unfortunately only in Italian!
          I was thinking just the same thing too! I bought my copy just over two years ago not long after the set first came out although I paid rather more than £65. It is a treasure trove although I have only listened to about two thirds of it. The box is very clunky having to house the enormous book of libretti but well worth what I paid for it. At £65 it was a steal - now going for €250 on Am.it!
          Last edited by hafod; 20-12-12, 14:47.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            Is it the same psychology working when men buy big box as when they buy big cars?
            Only when playing cricket.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Is it the same psychology working when men buy big box as when they buy big cars?
              My wife enjoys music, but often wonders why I need to have multiple recordeings of a work. With respect tto the female collectors that tend to frequent this site (Jayne, I mean no harm), I think this tends to be a Male Thing. We tend to collect, to want to possess. Women tend to enjoy and to share.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

My wife enjoys music, but often wonders why I need to have multiple recordeings of a work. With respect tto the female collectors that tend to frequent this site (Jayne, I mean no harm), I think this tends to be a Male Thing. We tend to collect, to want to possess. Women tend to enjoy and to share.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                  OK thanks for that and I revise my bid - £106.70!!! The Germans are on the ball. Might wait and see if this drifts below the hundred. It is not essential and will of course feature many duplicates - but what a lovely box! Also wondering what the Vespri Siciliani recording might be??? Unless they've licensed the RCA/BMG Levine.
                  Herewith a contents list. On first glance there appear to be a significant number of changes to the Italian release of a couple of years ago and of course the inevitable duplication. Vespri Siciliani is Muti.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Only when playing cricket.

Comment

• Stephen Smith

Ordered a CD from my Daughter's Chrstmas list. (Pop/Rock/contemporary popular - what do I call it, I can't carry the sub-genres in my head evenif I understood them) . A few days later Sainsbury'e entertainment sent an email to say it wouldn't be obtained in time for Christmas, and took me to the cancel page on my account, with a £5 voucher code offa future purchase. Today, I have another email - "am very sorry that our service has not been up to scratch on this occasion and we are sending you a £20 gift card to use at any Sainsbury’s" (in place of the code). Good treatment, I have to say. I had been able to order it elsewhere as a result of the first email.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stephen Smith View Post
                        Ordered a CD from my Daughter's Chrstmas list. (Pop/Rock/contemporary popular - what do I call it, I can't carry the sub-genres in my head evenif I understood them) . A few days later Sainsbury'e entertainment sent an email to say it wouldn't be obtained in time for Christmas, and took me to the cancel page on my account, with a £5 voucher code offa future purchase. Today, I have another email - "am very sorry that our service has not been up to scratch on this occasion and we are sending you a £20 gift card to use at any Sainsbury’s" (in place of the code). Good treatment, I have to say. I had been able to order it elsewhere as a result of the first email.
                        ... I ordered the Arrau Icon : and have had a similar response from St. Sbury's - tho' sadly only a £15 voucher - clearly classicists are less well-favoured than devotees of pop/rock...

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I ordered the Arrau Icon : and have had a similar response from St. Sbury's - tho' sadly only a £15 voucher - clearly classicists are less well-favoured than devotees of pop/rock...
                          Not true! I ordered the EMI 'Mahler - Complete Works' that was mentioned on this forum and have had exactly the same response as Stephen, £20 gift card on its way.
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Kees

https://arkivmusic.eu/music/album/77...rsakov-Edition £ 19,99 @Arkiv!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Kees View Post
                              https://arkivmusic.eu/music/album/77...rsakov-Edition £ 19,99 @Arkiv!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Obviously you've missed the tales of poor service from this supplier.

Comment

• Kees

No I didnt miss that. I have another experience so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X