X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    My #3465 (23 Oct) indicated a response from Amazon which quotes 8 -11 Nov as the anticipated delivery dates for the delivery of the Krauss "Ring". Onwards and upwards.
    I take some succour from your Amazon 'response', Stanley. My order was placed on October 1st during a free trial of Prime, so P&P should still be free. However, I no longer have a projected delivery date, only the interminable 'We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate'.

Who does one write to at Amazon in such instances? Perhaps I can chivvy them along.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      I take some succour from your Amazon 'response', Stanley. My order was placed on October 1st during a free trial of Prime, so P&P should still be free. However, I no longer have a projected delivery date, only the interminable 'We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate'.

Who does one write to at Amazon in such instances? Perhaps I can chivvy them along.
      My order was placed on September 29 and so far I've had the same message. Click on reply to that message and chivvy them up that way. I've not done this as yet but will leave another seven days before I do so. Might arrive in time for Christmas.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        Quite right. The import duty and other fees all too often render the US an unattractive source of 'cheap' boxes. There are a number of other offers at Am.com to be had including Haydn: The Complete Symphonies - Denis Russell-Davies on Sony for $21.93 but I am steering clear (not that I want this one).

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Haydn-T...russell+davies

I don't know these performances other than they are relatively new ones, but you have to admit that this is the most amazing bargain for 37 discs!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          I don't know these performances other than they are relatively new ones, but you have to admit that this is the most amazing bargain for 37 discs!
          Where do you stand on Haydn sonatas on a modern piano, Micky?

Ekaterina Derzhavina has a new set of complete sonatas out on Hanssler. If her Goldberg Variations are anything to go by, this may well be an essential purchase for Haydn lovers.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
            Amazingly, $62.53 at Importcds - http://www.importcds.com/music/24936...des-bonus-dvds

The Russell-Davies Haydn is even cheaper ($18.74) at Importcds - http://www.importcds.com/music/16825...ete-symphonies

Also worth a look at Importcds is the 144 cd Rubinstein Complete Album Collection ($90.11) - http://www.importcds.com/music/23586...bum-collection

[Postage from this source is $9 for one heavy item, $13 for two and $17 for three]. Shame about the import duty.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Maybe, but beware import duties on this one. Perhaps wait to see if any European suppliers get it too. It's on UK Amazon here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_2nkmgb8oh2_b However $68 is about £43, so as long as HMRC don't charge an arm and a leg could still be worth while. The total price to better at present is around £85.
              There's no import duty, but VAT may be charged - see section 2.3 here...

Steve

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Where do you stand on Haydn sonatas on a modern piano, Micky?

Ekaterina Derzhavina has a new set of complete sonatas out on Hanssler. If her Goldberg Variations are anything to go by, this may well be an essential purchase for Haydn lovers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Piano-...=haydn+sonatas
                I have to say, Throppers, that I have been such a confirmed HIP advocate for so many years, that I (maybe foolishly) haven't devoted much time to performances on modern instruments, but if the Haydn is played wittily there is of course much to enjoy ...Brendel is marvellous, but I have also heard that the recent recordings by Marc-André Hamelin on Hyperion are well worth a listen.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P18_1591
                  Useful info re. £15.01 to £135. However, don't forget the Royal Mail's handling charge of £8.00 on all imported items liable to a customs charge (which, as I understand it, included Import VAT).

That said, if ordered at the amazon.com price of $21.93, that currently gets charged as £14.31 plus £4.23 p&p. As I understand it, the whole £18.54 is taken into consideration when calculating import Import VAT, as is the handling fee of £8.00, so the total cost would be £26.54 + 20% VAT = £31.85. Your best bet would thus probably be the "Used - Like New" "SENT FROM UK" set from "Popcorn and Candy" via the amazon.co.uk marketplace (£25.75 including p&p).
                  Last edited by Bryn; 02-11-13, 23:09.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P18_1591
                    Thanks for the clarification, though the practical effects are still that care needs to be taken to avoid additional charges, as also mentioned in Bryn's response.

For the Perahia set then the possible charges could be roughly £43 + £9 + £8 = £60. Just hope also that there are no screw ups on the way, as they can work out expensive.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

I have to say, Throppers, that I have been such a confirmed HIP advocate for so many years, that I (maybe foolishly) haven't devoted much time to performances on modern instruments, but if the Haydn is played wittily there is of course much to enjoy ...Brendel is marvellous, but I have also heard that the recent recordings by Marc-André Hamelin on Hyperion are well worth a listen.
                      mickyd

Mostly I'd agree with you, but Christian Zacharias playing Haydn sonatas can be simply stunning, as heard at this year's Neuk Festival.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

It would seem you can sample the Derzhavina Haydn gratis, Micky.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the link, Thropps...I'm having a listen as I type this, and yes, she certainly plays to my liking. The recording is a wee bit close for me - this is another reason why I love Brautigam's recordings so much, BIS give him a lovely halo of sound - which of course may not be to everyone else's taste.

Dave, I must try and hear Zacharias - wasn't it him in the news recently who stopped his performance in a concert hall due to someone's mobile going off in the middle of one of the Haydn concertos?

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Dave, I must try and hear Zacharias - wasn't it him in the news recently who stopped his performance in a concert hall due to someone's mobile going off in the middle of one of the Haydn concertos?
                            Indeed - see http://www.thelocal.se/20131026/51028

The headline rather surprised me "Haydn killed by Swedish mobile phone". I didn't realise there was a current forensic investigation into how Haydn died.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Indeed - see http://www.thelocal.se/20131026/51028

The headline rather surprised me "Haydn killed by Swedish mobile phone". I didn't realise there was a current forensic investigation into how Haydn died.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                                • Mar 2013

The dream is over...

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

Varney "DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #204-8548034-8648365 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X