• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Blimey! 75c is about 60p, isn't it?!

Robert Taub is a terrific pianist - that Beethoven Sonata set is calling to me ...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Download all failed after a few minutes. Retrying.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Download all failed after a few minutes. Retrying.
        Are you on a fast internet connection?

I have had a few which stalled, or looked very slow indeed, so I simply aborted, and started again. There are of course further (dave2002 ) complications ... as we have several different internal wireless links, and some are faster than others.
        Once I've made sure the connection is to the right link and access point, the downloads are quick - usually less than 5 minutes. However, at best we do get 70 Mbps downloads - so the network links are not always the bottlenecks.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002
          Are you on a fast internet connection?

I have had a few which stalled, or looked very slow indeed, so I simply aborted, and started again. There are of course further (dave2002 ) complications ... as we have several different internal wireless links, and some are faster than others.
          Once I've made sure the connection is to the right link and access point, the downloads are quick - usually less than 5 minutes. However, at best we do get 70 Mbps downloads - so the network links are not always the bottlenecks.
          100Mbps, so I think the problems probably lie at the other end.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I've done a few this morning, and I've just ordered another $15 dollars worth.

Just try it again, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

One bundle has escaped me. I noticed yesterday one which had several performances with Josef Suk - but with the Josef Suk orchestra, and I think rather than him (only?) playing violin, he was actually conducting. If I could identify that collection I'd really like to have it. Trawling through the listings is quite hard!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              One bundle has escaped me. I noticed yesterday one which had several performances with Josef Suk - but with the Josef Suk orchestra, and I think rather than him (only?) playing violin, he was actually conducting. If I could identify that collection I'd really like to have it. Trawling through the listings is quite hard!
              Which "box" is that, Dave?

Comment

• groovydavidii
                • Dec 2010

Bargains recently acquired–eBay–Haydn String Quartets, complete, (23 cd+rom) Buchberger Qt.+Mozart 51 Symphonies Jeffrey Tate, ECO EMI, £20!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

The Beethoven Symphonies now downloaded. A quick check shows they are compressed to 256kbps VBR joint stereo mp3, i.e. around the same rate as Amazon mp3s but somewhat below BBC Sounds HD Sound quality. Tne Mpzart Piano Concertos are at the same rate as the Beethoven Symphonies. The Mozart solo piano works are still struggling to download.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by groovydavidii View Post
                    Bargains recently acquired–eBay–Haydn String Quartets, complete, (23 cd+rom) Buchberger Qt.+Mozart 51 Symphonies Jeffrey Tate, ECO EMI, £20!
                    That Buchberger set is rather good, including the booklet notes, though it's cheaper still, pro rata, as part of the most recent version of the Brilliant Classics big Haydn box. I got the earlier version of the big Haydn box and found it cheaper to get the BUchberger box to provide those quartets missing from that earlier edition. I thus have most of the quartets dedicated for in car use.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      That is what I was hoping someone else could tell me. I’ve trawled through about 30 of those so far, and I guess I ordered 27 of them. If anyone else stumbles across one with Suk as a conductor please let me know.

I thought it was Bach - but really not sure now. It’s a bit confusing with:

Big boxes
                      Small Big boxes
                      Bigger big boxes

and different selections - sometimes overlapping (with this same performers) and sometimes overlapping (different performers - and in some cases instruments e.g piano/harpsichord).
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 21-11-18, 12:58.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        The Violin concertos box BTLOI.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Thanks for the hint. Possibly this also - https://www.classicselect.com/produc...nt=32596467014 which has the Simfonia Concertante as well.

I still wonder if there are more performances with those players in the collections.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Aha! Originally released (as recently as 1990) as:

(and yes - as Dave suggests in #7497 - there is a Sinfonia Concertante [with Thomas Kakuska the solo viola not credited on the Big Mozart Box tracklist).

Judging from the Josef Suk Chamber Orchestra discography, this was their only recording on Vanguard (the source of many of these Big Box recordings - though the short-lived RPO Royal Classics also supplied source recordings) according to Discogs:

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I mentioned this site a few days ago - https://www.classicselect.com/collec...-99-cents-each
                              Seems to work well for me now, but how long the deals will be I don't know. At 75 cents (US) for each large collection it's hardly going to break the bank - unless one buys all the "stock".
                              You can pay more for just one single track download. One of these collections has around 200-300 tracks!
                              Just to thank Dave for pointing to this. Yesterday I got two mp3 bundles which caught my eye (75 Cents each). Both have interesting stuff.

I've played a few items from the Schubert selection already: some classic solo piano with Lili Kraus's robust renderings of Impromptus, some Sonatas and Wanderer Fantasy in very decent sound. Fine versions of the violin/piano Sonatinas from Alexander Schneider and Peter Serkin. A complete Rosamunde. A superb live song recital with Elly Ameling and Rudolf Jansen recorded at the Tanglewood Festival in 1987, which is still in the catalogue on Brilliant: Presto are selling the mp3 for £8.

Looking forward to the other box: Shostakovich, which has fewer items than the Schubert but includes Quartets 1-4 in classic recordings from the Beethoven Quartet, which have interested me for a while. They gave the first performances. The composer joins them for the Piano Quintet. The oratorio, Songs of the Forest, a post-War Party commission which he composed as a sort of penance, which I will be curious to get to know - classic Mravinsky performance.

The individual tracks download as files in one big folder, and I had to spend some time splitting them into more use-friendly CD-sized folders.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

In response to #7499 I have just added the Shostakovich set to those already downloaded. Then, something in the Stravinsky set caught my eye, the Stokowski Soldier's Tale. There is no indication as to whether it is the English or French version (though I already have both on CD) but I will post again when I find out. Whichever, this was a fine recording, and there are other interesting historical items in the set, too. [Ah, unfortunately, it's the version in English. Still recommended, however.]
                                Last edited by Bryn; 22-11-18, 22:15. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                                X