X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    is this the greatest bargain ever? - €0.01 for a bach complete organ works (for the last week it has been offered at €19.99) although how one pays 'one hundeth of a euro' i am not sure.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...n/hnum/9069255
    probably, but only if you want it and have the time and shelf space!

Comment

• Rick

May I suggest Barbirolli - The Great EMI Recordings - 40th Anniversary 10 CD Set?

Under £15 at Amazon:

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        May I suggest Barbirolli - The Great EMI Recordings - 40th Anniversary 10 CD Set?

Under £15 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-EMI-Re...7068465&sr=1-1
        £13.45 including p&p form Zavvi.com:

[It pays to install InvisibleHand and let that do much of the donkey work of finding the best price. Not always totally reliable, but a useful tool.]

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          £13.45 including p&p form Zavvi.com:

[It pays to install InvisibleHand and let that do much of the donkey work of finding the best price. Not always totally reliable, but a useful tool.]
          £19-95?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rick View Post

Under £15 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-EMI-Re...7068465&sr=1-1
            And the album/track lists are here http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4577672

A few really good things in that set, though I'd expect many to have them already. Elgar 1, VW 5.
            Not so sure about the Brahms and the Tchaikovsky though, and surely most of us already have the Elgar cello concedto.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
              I am not a downloader but I have just received an email from Amazon.com notifying the following which seem to me to represent good value (some IIRC may have been mentioned here before):

Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - Karelia/Lemminkäinen/Violin Concerto [MP3 Download] by Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Osmo Vänskä Price: $7.99

Tchaikovsky: The Symphonies and Orchestral Works [MP3 Download] by Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Järvi Price: $7.99

Bruckner: The Great Symphonies [MP3 Download] by State Symphony Capella of Russia and Gennady Rozhdestvensky Price: $5.00

Glazunov: The Complete Symphonies [MP3 Download] by BBC National Orchestra of Wales and Tadaaki Otaka Price: $6.99

Glazunov: The Complete Symphony Collection [MP3 Download] by Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra Vladimir Fedoseyev Price: $5.00

Beethoven: The Complete Symphony Collection [MP3 Download] by The London Symphony Orchestra Josef Krips Price: $5.99
              Don't know the Bruckner nor the Beethoven. All the others are good or very good. I suspect these are all worth having. Is there a reason for the dollar prices?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Here's a nice box for Schubert completists. I must be one because I've just ordered it. The Masses + plenty of lovely obscure stuff.

Comment

• ostuni
                  • Nov 2010

The Bruckner is good: I remember somebody strongly recommending it here a few months ago. Interesting to hear the pieces with such an obviously Russian-sounding orchestra. The over-vivid spot miking is a bit of a shame, but goes with the turf...

Amazon.com - hence the dollar prices? But I got my Bruckners as a cheap download from Am.uk (£2.99!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                    The Bruckner is good: I remember somebody strongly recommending it here a few months ago.
                    Jayne Lee Wilson, probably (and quite rightly!): which of the "Great Symphonies" are included, ostuni?

The Krips Beethoven cycle is very good: the performances are more in the Bruno Walter "line" than the Toscanini / Furtwangler ways. (ie, performances that emphasize Beethoven's links with Mozart rather than those with Wagner) with the usual omission of repeats. Low-quality recorded sound: some people have complained about tape hiss and pre-echo - I didn't find this much of a problem until I turned the volume up above the level I prefer to play discs in the home. But there is a jarring "wow" at the start of the last movement of the Ninth that's unavoidable (if you have access to i-Tunes, you can hear this on their "sample" of the track). I think (at less than the price of a single Naxos CD) the merits of the set far outweigh the flaws in the sound and no lover of these works should miss this bargain.

The Sibelius Cycle is even more irresistable!

Best Wishes.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      £19-95?
                      It was £13.45 there when I ordered it last night. Let's see if they deliver the goods.

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Don't know the Bruckner nor the Beethoven. All the others are good or very good. I suspect these are all worth having. Is there a reason for the dollar prices?
                        Yes - the email was from Amazon.com as noted.

#774 The Bruckner 'great symphonies' are 3-9 and curiously '0'.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          And the album/track lists are here http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4577672

A few really good things in that set, though I'd expect many to have them already. Elgar 1, VW 5.
                          Not so sure about the Brahms and the Tchaikovsky though, and surely most of us already have the Elgar cello concedto.
                          The Elgar Cello Concerto is Navara, not Du Pre.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The Elgar Cello Concerto is Navara, not Du Pre.
                            ...and a fine performance, it is too. Originally on the all-too tiny EMI Phoenixa sub-brand. It's one of my fav. Elgar CDs, and has 'Enigma...', 'Intro & Alegro...' and 'Elegy'. And a beautifully designed cover with elegant typography.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              ...and a fine performance, it is too. Originally on the all-too tiny EMI Phoenixa sub-brand. It's one of my fav. Elgar CDs, and has 'Enigma...', 'Intro & Alegro...' and 'Elegy'. And a beautifully designed cover with elegant typography.
                              It's one of the recordings which made me decide to order the set. I first had it on a Pye Golden Guinea LP,

Comment

• Parry1912
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                                ...and a fine performance, it is too.
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X