X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    It's one of the recordings which made me decide to order the set. I first had it on a Pye Golden Guinea LP,
    Is the Sea Pictures the usual one, with Janet Baker? This set is looking marginal for me. I discovered I'd got the DoG yesterday, and duly ripped it to HD. I think I've got about half or maybe more of these recordings on other CDs already.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

'Warehouse Clearance' at Play.com including some 200 classical (and Il Divo and Katherine Jenkins!). Some quite good prices (the Terfel/Solti 'Don Giovanni' particularly so) but don't forget to compare with Amazon before buying anything.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Hallelujah, brethren (and sisterhood of course), I had an email from Amazon to say the Klemperer box (Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner), ordered Nov 1st (£7.90) is on its way.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Hallelujah, brethren (and sisterhood of course), I had an email from Amazon to say the Klemperer box (Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner), ordered Nov 1st (£7.90) is on its way.
          Same here.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Yay cloughie!

When you've had a decent opportunity to listen, could you report back on sound quality please cloughie?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

While discussing Klemperer, this might be of interest - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...YE593VVTEEDGQQ

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Yay cloughie!

When you've had a decent opportunity to listen, could you report back on sound quality please cloughie?
                Certainly will AM

Comment

• robk
                  • Nov 2010

I've just received the Klemperer Mahler box. The sound quality is excellent and Christa Ludwig sounds wonderful in Das Lied. Haven't had time to listen to all of it yet. It does seem to be a French issue - the booklet does not have English translations.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                    I've just received the Klemperer Mahler box. The sound quality is excellent and Christa Ludwig sounds wonderful in Das Lied. Haven't had time to listen to all of it yet. It does seem to be a French issue - the booklet does not have English translations.
                    I'd guess that an English one might follow soon, but at a higher price. That's happened with another box we've seen here recently.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

It's one of the recordings which made me decide to order the set. I first had it on a Pye Golden Guinea LP,
                      A lovely performance. I am glad to see that Barbirolli's Bax's Tintagel and Garden of Fand are on CD at last. The Golden Guinea was delightful, though a shame that from the same kitchen drawer they could not find room for the Vaughan Williams 8 (written and dedicated "For glorious John") with all the cutlery Sir John was able to find to rattle.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                        A lovely performance. I am glad to see that Barbirolli's Bax's Tintagel and Garden of Fand are on CD at last. The Golden Guinea was delightful, though a shame that from the same kitchen drawer they could not find room for the Vaughan Williams 8 (written and dedicated "For glorious John") with all the cutlery Sir John was able to find to rattle.
                        Ah yes, I had the 10" LP of that RVW 8. The recording must surely be already available on CD?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Ah yes, I had the 10" LP of that RVW 8. The recording must surely be already available on CD?
                          Although I suspect it's been "delisted", there seem to be plenty of used copies around in Amazon Marketplace of the 1992 EMI reissue of the 8th and the Barbirolli/Hallé 'London' Symphony, with very well re-mastered sound by Michael Dutton et al. From memory (as I think I have another copy of this CD somewhere), it was also issued as part of the short-lived Pye Nixa series of CDs. Well worth the money

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Bryn

Yes - it did make it on to CD (EMI Phoenixa) with an equally enthralling 'London' Symphony.
                            The notes say that as the recording was made a month after the first performance, it "...does not contain the extra cymbal clash which VW added to the first movement at a later date."
                            I have not actually been able to compare the difference, as I have no idea how far into the movement, the aforesaid clash occurs..!

You may be able to find this CD - second-hand, I suppose would be the best hope.
                            Last edited by visualnickmos; 24-01-12, 13:09. Reason: typo

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Wasn't there a 12 inch LP with the VW8 on one side, and Bax - Tintagel on the other? I think I've still got a copy somewhere. Is that the same version of VW8?

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Yes - the email was from Amazon.com as noted.

#774 The Bruckner 'great symphonies' are 3-9 and curiously '0'.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002POTTVU/...380_pe_vfe_dt5
                                I thought those of us in the UK could not access the US Amazon download site, so prices may be higher (generally), and some items not available.

Comment

Working...
                                X