X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Ah no, that's another cycle that's escaped me! How fortunate we are to have so many terrific sets available.
    ... come now Micky - miss out on a couple of pastis and those tempting petits pâtés de Pézenas - and this could be yours -

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      In the meantime the people at ClassicSelect are still notifying me of freebies.
      It's a collection of Guitar music this week - if anyone is interested I'll post the link later.
      Is that the "Big Guitar Box"? As it is free I am tempted to test it out.

There are a lot of Alirio Diaz recordings in that box. He was a highly regarded guitarist and taught at Segovia's Sienna summer school. (My own teacher was given classes by Diaz when he attended Sienna.) I once heard him live at Bristol's Colston Hall but, somehow, he was never one of my favourite classical guitarists. It would be interesting to hear him again.

The other guitarist featured in the box is Karl Schiet. I only know of him through the large number of editions he did for guitar of Dowland and Bach.
      Last edited by johnb; 06-04-21, 16:43.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

My Bezuidenhout Mozart Sonatas + box is awaiting collection from a local locker. However, BBC2 wildlife programmes currently being broadcast have seized my attention for the time being.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          Is that the "Big Guitar Box"? As it is free I am tempted to test it out.

There are a lot of Alirio Diaz recordings in that box. He was a highly regarded guitarist and taught at Segovia's Sienna summer school. (My own teacher was given classes by Diaz when he attended Sienna.) I once heard him live at Bristol's Colston Hall but, somehow, he was never one of my favourite classical guitarists. It would be interesting to hear him again.

The other guitarist featured in the box is Karl Schiet. I only know of him through the large number of editions he did for guitar of Dowland and Bach.
          Here you go - https://www.classicselectworld.com/p...gital-download

I think the Classic Select people got some of the links mixed up - but this should go to the box you're interested in. You can sign up for the alerts if you find them interesting/useful.
          I'm assuming that readers in the USA or near there might find some of the CDs on offer of interest too, though I guess that unless there's a stunning offer that in Europe or the UK physical media will be of less interest, because of import duty and carriage charges.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... come now Micky - miss out on a couple of pastis and those tempting petits pâtés de Pézenas - and this could be yours -

Ha ha, you know me too well my friend. Not so much a question of not wanting a fourth cycle, more a case of lack of precious shelf space!

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Ha ha, you know me too well my friend. Not so much a question of not wanting a fourth cycle, more a case of lack of precious shelf space!
              Are these ones good? Price looks OK.
              Odd that it's only 6 CDs, whereas Bezuidenhout takes 9.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Are these ones good? Price looks OK.
                Odd that it's only 6 CDs, whereas Bezuidenhout takes 9.
                The Bezuidenhout is not just the sonatas. Neither, however, is it the complete keyboard works. For that, you have to go for Van Oort's 11 CDs of solo works + 3 more (of works for two players, with his fellow Bilson ex-student, Ursula Dütschler).

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  The Bezuidenhout is not just the sonatas. Neither, however, is it the complete keyboard works. For that, you have to go for Van Oort's 11 CDs of solo works + 3 more (of works for two players, with his fellow Bilson ex-student, Ursula Dütschler).
                  Are the two here "better" or usefully different from Van Oort's?

Looks as though Lubinsky plays on a McNulty instrument and perhaps Bezuidenhout does too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLNyu9Z3PI

It seems odd that some recording companies and also some reviewers (maybe Gramophone) don't seem to think it's important to let prospective purchasers know what kind of instrument is used.
                  Lubinsky clearly thinks there is a degree of importance in this.
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 07-04-21, 10:00.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Are the two here "better" or usefully different from Van Oort's?
                    It's too soon offer they were delivered for me to offer a personal view re the Bezuidenhout, but I would say that whether the Lubimov would make a good supplement to the Van Oort would depend on how one reacts to the rather different approaches to both the playing and the instrumental sound as captured. I have not listened to either the Van Oort or Lubimaov as much as the Brautigam. Hopefully, others will offer more considered comments on the differences and relative merits. I like to have a range of approaches available to learn from. Oh, and Bezuidenhout uses three different instruments with different tuning regimes in his survey, all after Walters.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 07-04-21, 10:18. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Oh, and Bezuidenhout uses three different instruments with different tuning regimes in his survey, all after Walters.

That's good to know. I ordered the Bezuidenhout set yesterday and it does sound like it's the equivalent of the Schornsheim Haydn set - which is what I'd hoped.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

That's good to know. I ordered the Bezuidenhout set yesterday and it does sound like it's the equivalent of the Schornsheim Haydn set - which is what I'd hoped.
                        Not really an equivalent of the Schornsheim Haydn set. The first CD was not originally intended to be that of a complete survey of the sonatas and used an Adlam built in 1987, after a 1795 Walter. After the sessions, it was suggested and agreed that a full set of the sonatas would be worth doing. The second CD used a 2008 McNulty, after and 1802 Walter. The other CDs used a 2009 Mcnulty, after an 1805 Walter, but for CD 3 a different technician was used for setting up and tuning the instrument than the technician used for CDs 4 to 9.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I have to say that I find the Van Oort and the Brautigam very pleasing in their own ways. The Van Oort is available in two different incarnations on Brilliant Classics - one gives you all the programme notes on a separate CD rom (portrait of Mozart on the cover) and the other (portrait of Van Oort on the cover) includes them in a thick booklet. I went for the latter, which is much easier for me to consult.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

This may not immediately strike one as a bargain but it is 3 SACDs worth of high-resolution stereo and surround + CD rate stereo and mp3 downloads. I have plumped for it. However, be warned, the high-resolution stereo FLAC zip is around 4GB and the 5.0 surround is around 8.6 GB.

Along with Vivaldi’s ‘Seasons’ or Beethoven’s ‘Fifth’, Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos belong to those works that are so well-known that we risk taking them for
                            Last edited by Bryn; 08-04-21, 13:08. Reason: Revised size of surround zip

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Today's one-day half-price download promotion from eClassical.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

This may not immediately strike one as a bargain but it is 3 SACDs worth of high-resolution stereo and surround + CD rate stereo and mp3 downloads. I have plumped for it. However, be warned, the high-resolution stereo FLAC zip is around 4GB and the 5.0 surround is around 8.6 GB.

Is there a link to the source/supplier - and how much is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X