• Show
Clear All
  • Mal
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Don't know the author. Are they good?

Possibly - probably. Recommendations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Barry
    I started with his latest Costa winner "Days Without End", followed by his first one "The Secret Scripture". Both superb "upper middlebrow" novels... enough to persuade me to buy all 7! Warning - he does write in series so you might want to start with the first in a series... but it's probably safer following my path and reading his Costa winners. Don't expect modernist experimentation, he's Irish but definitely not a follower of late Joyce. He's in the same ball park as Ian McEwan or William Boyd, but just nudges ahead of them, in my book.

P.S. Too late for the once in a lifetime 7 at 99p offer... but he does tend to pop up in the daily deal every few months (as do Boyd and McEwan...)

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Currently downloading the two zips of FLACs here.
      Classic Select World currently has some Scarlatti sonatas played by John Browning in FLAC format - free!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Currently downloading the two zips of FLACs here.
        Now comes the extended task of organising the various works into separate folders.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Now comes the extended task of organising the various works into separate folders.
          FLAC now does seem to work on my Apple kit. There was a time when it would have taken some effort to get FLAC files to play.

I do wonder - are there any CD or DVD players which will play FLAC files - just as there are/were some CD players which will play mp3s?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            FLAC now does seem to work on my Apple kit. There was a time when it would have taken some effort to get FLAC files to play.

I do wonder - are there any CD or DVD players which will play FLAC files - just as there are/were some CD players which will play mp3s?
            I used to use a Cambridge Audio "Azur" multi-disc-format player which also has a USB input which could handle mp3 but not FLAC. I tried contacting Cambridge Audio regarding their providing a firmware update to read FLAC but I got short shrift from them. Eventually, the player stepped being able to read CD-Rs, only reading commercial stamped discs. I upgraded to an OPPO 203. That not only handles FLAC but plays them seamlessly. I will check out the Panasonic Blu-ray recorder and player I have in other rooms but I think they also play FLACs. Since the Cambridge player was a cut-down version of an
            earlier OPPO machine, I find it particularly unhelpful of them to refuse to upgrade their firmware to play FLACs. I have, thus, become wary of their products.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Yes. I simplified it down to seven folders to save time. Most work went into editing down the Artist field, which unnecessarily included far too many names for normal use, eg recording engineer.

Now looking forward to listening. Surprisingly, I have almost no duplication.

Comment

• TBuckley

A couple of Melodiya download bargains from Presto:

Shostakovich: Complete Symphonies. Melodiya: RCID18056928. Buy download online. Moscow Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, Republican Russian Academic Choir Capella, Boys Choir of the Moscow State Choral School, Yuri Nekludov, Vitaly Gromadsky, Arthur Eisen, Male Group of Republican Russian Academic Choir Capella, Yevgeny Nesterenko (bass), Evgeniya Tselovalnik, David Oistrakh...

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphonies (Live). Melodiya: RCID18027412. Buy download online. Boris Vasiliev, Tatiana Smolyakova, Choir of the Leningrad Music Society, Choir of the Rimsky-Korsakov College of Music, Elena Dof-Donskaya, USSR Ministry of Culture Chamber Choir USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra, Gennady Rozhdestvensky

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post

Shostakovich: Complete Symphonies. Melodiya: RCID18056928. Buy download online. Moscow Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, Republican Russian Academic Choir Capella, Boys Choir of the Moscow State Choral School, Yuri Nekludov, Vitaly Gromadsky, Arthur Eisen, Male Group of Republican Russian Academic Choir Capella, Yevgeny Nesterenko (bass), Evgeniya Tselovalnik, David Oistrakh...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ymphonies-live
                  I'm not in the market since I have the CDs but would highly recommend them, especially the Shostakovich, replete with Stepan Razin, and the 2nd Violin Concerto, etc. and not just as bargains.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ymphonies-live
                    I have the DSCH as a download already but would otherwise pounce on what is a terrific bargain. Very well-spotted.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I'm not in the market since I have the CDs but would highly recommend them, especially the Shostakovich, replete with Stepan Razin, and the 2nd Violin Concerto, etc. and not just as bargains.
                      Ouch! These sets cost approximately double the Presto price on QOBUZ.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I see that Presto also have a Shostakovich Symphony cycle by Alexander Sladkovsky and the Tatarstan SO - does anyone know this set and able to recommend favourably or otherwise?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          I see that Presto also have a Shostakovich Symphony cycle by Alexander Sladkovsky and the Tatarstan SO - does anyone know this set and able to recommend favourably or otherwise?
                          I have the CDs of this cycle, rather than the downloads. Excellent recording quality and very good orchestral playing so, at the price from Presto, it's something of a steal. Another very good set from this source (label, orchestra, conductor, Presto) is of the DSCH concertos - much recommmended.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            I have the CDs of this cycle, rather than the downloads. Excellent recording quality and very good orchestral playing so, at the price from Presto, it's something of a steal. Another very good set from this source (label, orchestra, conductor, Presto) is of the DSCH concertos - much recommmended.
                            Thanks HD - Now do I need another Shost Syms cycle - what's that got to do with it? I'll probably get it anyway!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

I have this in 24 bit, and sound, playing and interpretations are all very good

Comment

• Steerpike
                                • Nov 2010

Do get it Cloughie. I have the downloads. They're in the Premier League.

Comment

Working...
                                X