X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Not necessarily always bargains, but this seems a good place to post a link to an article about musicmagpie (hope the link works and the article can be read: the Times app has changed recently):

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

This week Classic Select World has Sibelius Tone poems conducted by Adrian Boult as the freebie. This one might be more interesting than some of their other offers.

See Free Downloads - https://www.classicselectworld.com/

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Difficult to resist. So I didn't. We shall see what we shall see.
        A week after placing the order, the Amazon Global Store​ Avantgarde set has yet to be dispatched.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          This week Classic Select World has Sibelius Tone poems conducted by Adrian Boult as the freebie. This one might be more interesting than some of their other offers.

See Free Downloads - https://www.classicselectworld.com/
          Thanks for tip. They've added Vol 2 of the Vanguard Boult/Sibelius, also free download. https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...free-downloads

MusicWeb review confirms Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra is LPO under another name

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Thanks for tip. They've added Vol 2 of the Vanguard Boult/Sibelius, also free download. https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...free-downloads

MusicWeb review confirms Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra is LPO under another name
            Yes, thanks both. And, worth mentioning there is the choice also of lossless FLAC or WAV file downloads. So now, just depends on the quality of the original recording and digital file.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

Yes, thanks both. And, worth mentioning there is the choice also of lossless FLAC or WAV file downloads. So now, just depends on the quality of the original recording and digital file.
              Thanks both again - I didn't notice the extra download - I'll pull that down later.

I doubt that the sound quality will be particularly good in any of these - whether FLAC, MP3 or WAV - but I do expect it to be "serviceable". If the music and performances themselves are any good that'll be worth the effort. Sometime the sound quality of these free downloads is actually quite good - but even though I really enjoy high quality recordings and playback, lesser audio quality isn't always a barrier to enjoyment. I have some thoroughly atrocious recordings of music and performances which I enjoy immensely.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

No sign of movement on the DG Avant Garde set, although it isn't currently listed as available anywhere AFAICS.

anybody got this ?

Last edited by teamsaint; 17-10-23, 22:09.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Kamisama
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Co sign of movement on the DG Avant Garde set, although it isn't currently listed as available anywhere AFAICS.

anybody got this ?

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...th-century-box
                  Found the following post on another forum:

Another fail on the DG Avant-Garde set. I too have received Between Here and Lost by Love and Death. Christian metal apparently. I have also been told the global store does not do replacements and my only option is a refund.

However, Amazon have offered to price match for my new order! We will see how that goes, but if it works, a big thumbs up to Amazon's customer service from me.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post

Found the following post on another forum:

Thanks. I have to say I am tempted to cancel, get my £19 back and save myself the hassle of a refund . My suspicion is that they will cancel the order in an case.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Thanks both again - I didn't notice the extra download - I'll pull that down later.

I doubt that the sound quality will be particularly good in any of these - whether FLAC, MP3 or WAV - but I do expect it to be "serviceable". If the music and performances themselves are any good that'll be worth the effort. Sometime the sound quality of these free downloads is actually quite good - but even though I really enjoy high quality recordings and playback, lesser audio quality isn't always a barrier to enjoyment. I have some thoroughly atrocious recordings of music and performances which I enjoy immensely.
                      My suspicions regarding sound quality turn out to be correct. However my feeling is that the FLAC versions are definitely better for these issues.

It is also interesting that Classic Select World now seem to be targeting the UK market explicitly. I have wondered about buying CDs from them in the past, but didn't bother as I thought that the carriage - perhaps from the USA - and any import issues might make this a poor option - but maybe some of the bundles or other issues for the UK will now turn out to be reasonable.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Thanks. I have to say I am tempted to cancel, get my £19 back and save myself the hassle of a refund . My suspicion is that they will cancel the order in an case.
                        Amazon claim to have dispatched my Avant-garde box last Thursday and have it down as due for delivery on 1sr November. We'll see.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Amazon claim to have dispatched my Avant-garde box last Thursday and have it down as due for delivery on 1sr November. We'll see.
                          No sign of any dispatch on my account yet.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... same here : tho' delivery due 2 November

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... same here : tho' delivery due 2 November

​The latest update to its journey is that it arrived at an Amazon facility San Bernardino, California US​ from an Amazon facility Kent, WASHINGTON US at 04:55 this morning (California local time).

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

​The latest update to its journey is that it arrived at an Amazon facility San Bernardino, California US​ from an Amazon facility Kent, WASHINGTON US at 04:55 this morning (California local time).
                                ... well, mine apparently reached Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, Texas at 08:37 local time this morning

Comment

Working...
                                X