X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Lenny B's CBS/Sony Mahler is < £20 on market place (new).
    How does this compare to his later (DG) recordings?
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Maybe, but my box finally arrived today all the way from KY USA. Finally!

Now, about that Debussy .... Already have Bernstein Mahler I think, both Sony and DG versions. I'll wait to see if we win (Ukraine - currently 1 down), and then play something. Scarlatti perhaps, or the Neumann Dvorak set.
      Well, England won, so there's a cause for celebration, treating ourselves to another box set!

Seems like a perfectly good excuse to me.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
        Well, England won, so there's a cause for celebration, treating ourselves to another box set!

Let's hope the box turns out to be less dire than England's performance last night!
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• groovydavidii
          • Dec 2010

hafod thank you, ordered and received "Music of the Enlightenment" - Limited Edition 30 CD set at £14.99, I see 3 days later, it's now £25!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

I follow your reasoning...which is fine in a perfect world.....but Mrs TS might not see things that way!!
            hey ho, lots of lovely Guitar music arriving in the next day or so, along with Suk Asrael as recommended by JLW , all for fifteen notes. Hurrah !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Not a new bargain but a return to bargain pricing for an excellent Roussel set

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I assume you mean from the Market Place suppliers at around £10. Maybe I should play the Roussel symphony in my Karajan set first!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I assume you mean from the Market Place suppliers at around £10. Maybe I should play the Roussel symphony in my Karajan set first!
                  You're absolutely right, Dave2002 - my apologies

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I think that set was available at a REALLY low price once, but at £10 or thereabouts it's probably a good deal.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      How does this compare to his later (DG) recordings?
                      I guess I'd have to do some really serious listening to be sure. From memory though I'd say that the DG ones are better recordings, and generally pretty good. Plus they have a boy soloist in symphony 4, which is rather unusual. I'm revisiting the earlier ones gradually. I can't say yet, though some people do like the earlier (mostly) NYPO versions. I'm guessing that most more recent reviewers prefer the newer versions.

You need to check the versions if you buy a box too - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-The-S...0386115&sr=1-6 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Compl...0386115&sr=1-7

One box has 11 CDs and costs under £30, while the other has 16 and costs over £100.

Comment

• Parry1912
                        • Nov 2010

I've got the DG recordings in their three box format (16 CDs in total). I've now taken the plunge on the Sony set so I guess I'll find out.
                        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                          I've got the DG recordings in their three box format (16 CDs in total). I've now taken the plunge on the Sony set so I guess I'll find out.
                          Me too! The new Sony box seems to include his NYPO Resurrection rather than the LSO version.

The DG box is excellent if you like an interventionist, extrovert Mahler style and don't mind slowish tempi. Only the 8th (he died before the recording so an off-air version is included, the 10th Adagio and the 4th (silly use of treble) are major disspointments.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Any Wolf fans who missed the Stefan Genz Hyperion disc with first recordings of Heine and Lenau settings at full price (e.g. me) will probably want to order the re-issue on the bargain Helios label.
                            <p>After their <i>Gramophone</i> Award-winning debut recital of songs by Beethoven, and a double album of Hugo Wolf’s ‘Mörike Lieder’ (with Joan Rodgers), Stephan Genz and Roger Vignoles return to Wolf for the much less well-known early songs to texts by Heinrich Heine and Nikolaus Lenau. It is likely that these little-known songs were recorded here for the first time.</p>

I have eagerly pre-ordered - cheapest, I think at HMV:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Any Wolf fans who missed the Stefan Genz Hyperion disc with first recordings of Heine and Lenau settings at full price (e.g. me) will probably want to order the re-issue on the bargain Helios label.
                              <p>After their <i>Gramophone</i> Award-winning debut recital of songs by Beethoven, and a double album of Hugo Wolf’s ‘Mörike Lieder’ (with Joan Rodgers), Stephan Genz and Roger Vignoles return to Wolf for the much less well-known early songs to texts by Heinrich Heine and Nikolaus Lenau. It is likely that these little-known songs were recorded here for the first time.</p>

I have eagerly pre-ordered - cheapest, I think at HMV:
                              http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=776718
                              Bingo, gurnemanz!

Many thanks for spotting this

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

This 10 CD set of flute concertos might be a bargain for some - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

From Amazon MP sellers it comes in at around £13. I think one of these was played a couple of weeks ago in Linda Grant's Saturday afternoon R3 programme.
                                That was the Vivaldi recorder concerto in C, played by Bosgraaf - which sounded extremely good to me. Assuming the details I found are correct, and it is Bosgraaf's performance in the box, then that alone could (for some) make the whole box worthwhile.

PS: I should add that you can buy the Vivaldi concertos as a single CD for less than £5 - as here - http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/11865616/-/Product.html
                                The same CD may also turn up in other boxes from Brilliant. Re the flute concertos set that then implies that one would have to "justify" buying the remaining 9 CDs for £8, which some might not want to do, leaving them to raving flute afficionados. Of course there's always this way - http://open.spotify.com/track/0246iyYui99SVFvQl4Z2xi
                                Last edited by Dave2002; 24-06-12, 17:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X