• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Is this any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sibelius-Sym...091921&sr=1-17

OK - it doesn't fit "my" £1/CD rule, but Davis in Sibelius might be worth having. I was notified of some deals from the River People - and this was the only one we haven't noticed or bettered in recent weeks.

Also I'm not sure if these are plain CDs or hybrid SACDs. We've run through that before, but SACD collectors might want to check in case these are vanilla CDs. LSO Live does sometimes have both flavours.
    I am pretty sure the box is CD only. I think this is a fine cycle and prefer it to the Boston one, heretical as that may seem.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

There are indeed SACDs of all of the Sibelius symphonies. As separate discs most are available for £8.99 from the LSO website, except for 3 & 7, which is £5.99. Some people might really want SACDs, otherwise the price for the box set of CDs does seem competitive, and an attractive proposition.

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

PRESTO DVD Clearance - Up to 80% off

Apologies if this has already been flagged up.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Seem all to be Region 0, NTSC - if that matters!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            A sort of contents list for the Boult box below. A great deal of duplication for me - notably the Brahms and Wagner - although it will be good to have 'The Great' and 'The Pastoral'. The Mozart looks interesting but I am not sure about the Bach.
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIR-ADRIAN...05%26rk%3D1%26
            Just caught up with this. Nearly all the Boult recordings I have are of English music - which seems not figure here - so my only duplcate would be the Alto Rhapsody. I have fond memories of an LP of his Schubert 9 which I had ages ago and has since vanished. I will almost certainly go for this - the Sainsbury's price represents a true bargain.
            Last edited by gurnemanz; 13-07-12, 09:56.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
              Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
              Let's hope you get all 8 CDs. Please let us know. As mentioned a while ago, my box was lacking CD 3. I am still awaiting notification by Amazon of dispatch of a replacement set.
              Received this morning. Normally it would go straight on the 'unplayed CDs shelf' still in it's wrapper but heeding Bryn's warning, I opened it. All CDs present and correct!
              I meant 7, not 8, of course. My replacement set finally arrived today. I now have until near the end of the month to send the original incomplete set back, or pay £7.79 to keep them. It occurs to me that given the hike in price for this set since I ordered it, someone out there might be interested in having the 6 discs (1, 2, 4, 5 6 & 7) with their booklet and box for that £7.79 plus p&p at cost. PM me soon if interested, otherwise I will pack them up and send them back.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Just caught up with this. Nearly all the Boult recordings I have are of English music - which seems not figure here - so my only duplcate would be the Alto Rhapsody. I have fond memories of an LP of his Schubert 9 which I had ages ago and has since vanished. I will almost certainly go for this - the Sainsbury's price represents a true bargain.
                His Pastoral is marvellous as is the Jupiter and the Schubert 9 , the Brahms symphonies are sublime escpeically No 2 - we have raved over his wagner recently and if as i suspect his Tchaikovsky Suite 3 is in there that just won BAL.

Comment

• Howdenite
                  • Nov 2010

I noticed this in my assorted emails of cd sales. http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-der-ring...nts-13cds.html. It appears to be the Rome recording, though the details seem sketchy.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Howdenite View Post
                    I noticed this in my assorted emails of cd sales. http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-der-ring...nts-13cds.html. It appears to be the Rome recording, though the details seem sketchy.
                    It comes in an LP-sized box, which is very irritating (to me) Howdenite

So .. a wonderful set of performances, at a bargain price but a bit of a b*gger to store

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Howdenite View Post
                      It is: the Amazon advert lets you see the reverse of the box:

... but doesn't make ammie's point clear!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Howdenite
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for all above. No it doesn't give a clue about the packaging unless you read the comments. It looks like I may have to break resolve and go for it -- I have neither Furtwangler nor Modl in the Ring. And I have a Wagner shelf that can become a Ring shelf if necessary...

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Mozart, Da Ponte Operas, BBCSO/Colin Davis - 9cds £5.99 delivered. Getting a bit long in the tooth but at £2 an opera.....

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            It comes in an LP-sized box, which is very irritating (to me) Howdenite

So .. a wonderful set of performances, at a bargain price but a bit of a b*gger to store
                            It is isn't it? My set has been lying on the floor since purchase!
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                              Mozart, Da Ponte Operas, BBCSO/Colin Davis - 9cds £5.99 delivered. Getting a bit long in the tooth but at £2 an opera.....
                              https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E10182284
                              WOW! These are superb performances - for less than the price of a single NAXOS CD! <swoonemoticon>
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                WOW! These are superb performances - for less than the price of a single NAXOS CD! <swoonemoticon>
                                Glad I waited for a recommendation before pressing the "buy" button!
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X