X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
    Me too - well spotted and thanks, Hafod.
    Happy to share such chance discoveries with fellow music lovers. IIRC there was a thread on these boards awhile back reflecting on the vagaries of Amazon's pricing which noted some glaring inconsistencies not least the many wide variations in price for issues in the same series. The general consensus was (I think) that those responsible did not understand classical music (the constant reference to 'songs' and 'tracks' especially for downloads being a bit of a giveaway). As a result one comes across bargains like the 'William T' above almost purely by chance. Two others I have found in the last few days - again by chance - are as follows although the savings are smaller.

Alwyn Piano Concertos on Naxos for £1.00 delivered

Brahms Cello Sonatas (and a few other bits) with Isserlis/Hough on Hyperion for £3.99 again delivered

Comment

• Curalach

Thanks hafod, Alwyn and Rossini ordered!

Comment

• robk
        • Nov 2010

Thanks too from me Hafod. I've also ordered Alwyn and Rossini. I already have the Brahms. Wonder how long it will take for the River People to notice.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

I love it that the major download people don't know what they are doing!

I've had some quality boxed sets for the price of a single disc!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

The fascinating part of Amazon's "offers" or mistakes if you will are that a number of other sellers on the Amazon Marketplace have automated software running 24 hours a day that can be programmed to fix their own prices at a percentage (or pennies) above or below Amazon's offer. If Amazon make a mistake then others come tumbling down (over the waterfall).
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

The Rossini 'William Tell' has now increased to £16.99. You have to be quick!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                The Rossini 'William Tell' has now increased to £16.99. You have to be quick!
                That was an example of the Rossini crescendo, I suspect.

Comment

• Mandryka

Thanks to hafod for those heads-up. Rossini and Alwyn duly bagged!

Anyone else surprised to see Guillaume Tell on only 3 discs? I thought it was a 4-disc work?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    Anyone else surprised to see Guillaume Tell on only 3 discs? I thought it was a 4-disc work?
                    Poor old Rossini got used to seeing Tell chopped and mutilated... on the rare occasions it was performed!

I have Lamberto Gardelli/RPO on EMI in French, 4 CDs
                    and also Riccardo Muti/Maggio Musicale Fiorentino on 'Gala', in Italian, 3 CDs

Thanks to Hafod for flagging this one up - my order got in at the cheapo price - interesting to see whether it's honoured...

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Poor old Rossini got used to seeing Tell chopped and mutilated...
                      Ah yes, I find in Kobbé :

"Guillaume Tell, given in full, would last nearly five hours. The poor quality of the original libretto by de Jouy led to the revision by Bis, but even after that there had to be cuts.
                      'Ah, Maestro,' exclaimed an enthusiastic admirer of Rossini to that master, 'I heard Act II of your William Tell at the Opera last night!'
                      'What!' asked Rossini, 'The whole of it?'
                      Clever; but by his question Rossini unconsciously put his finger on the weak spot of the opera he intended to be his masterpiece. Be it never so well given, it is long-winded."

Comment

• groovydavidii
                        • Dec 2010

M.Bs’ might be interested, Amazon are offering “Mozart Operas, Limited Edition” (Archiv), (18 discs), J.E. Gardiner, at the starting price of £29.90. The operas are: Idomeneo, Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, Le nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Cosi fan tutte, La clemenza di Tito, and Die Zauberflote (Bryn Terfel, Sophie von Otter, etc), the Edition is limited to 10,000.

Comment

• groovydavidii
                          • Dec 2010

M.Bs’ might be interested, Amazon are offering “Mozart Operas, Limited Edition” (Archiv), (18 discs), J.E. Gardiner, at the starting price of £29.90. The operas are: Idomeneo, Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, Le nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Cosi fan tutte, La clemenza di Tito, and Die Zauberflote!!! (Bryn Terfel, Sophie von Otter, etc), the Edition is limited to 10,000.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Not sure it this has already come up. My attention was drawn to it by Amazon itself, as a recommendation. Unfortunately I already have the CD:

It has the great advantage of using real analogue electronic keyboard instruments, rather than the digital ones used in a later recording of the work.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Not a bargain available regularly at this price (unless I buy a massive box set) but I managed to get Stravinsky's celebrated RPO/Sadlers Wells recording of The Rake's Progress for £3.56 on Amazon. With £1.26 post I thought not bad for just under a fiver. As an Alexander Young fan I am very well pleased.

Comment

• robk
                                • Nov 2010

Goldbergs

Just received Bach's Goldberg Variations played by Ralph Kirkpatrick on Harpsicord via Amazon Market place for £4.51. (Eloquence 469 673-2)

I have these on an Archiv LP in a buff cover with folding leaves. I got to know the Goldbergs through this LP and have never found the piano versions as moving. Now having a nostalgic wallow.

Comment

Working...
                                X