Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torke needs good home

The only thing of interest at this morning's boot fair was an Argo CD of chamber works by Michael Torke. Not my taste (confirmed by a listen) but couldn't leave it among the Pavarottis and Garretts. Some one would like it, I'm sure, so PM me if you are he/she/they.

Full details as on this site:

Cost is minimal, maybe even nothing if the PO's not too greedy.

Don.

Don, I don't know Torke's music at all, so was interested to take a listen to "Adjustable Wrench".

very enjoyable, and sounds fairly typical of his work if reviewers comments are anything to go by.
    Thanks for a good steer !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I bought that CD when it came out and remember enjoying it. I had almost forgotten I had it and you have given me a nudge towards giving it another spin some time soon.

Comment

Iirc "Adjustable Wrench" was first performed over here at the 1988 Huddersfield New Music Festival. There was an interval discussion involving 3 composers, one being the now-departed David Bedford. Comparisons with John Adams and Aaron Copland were being made, and I remember Bedford make the remark that listening to much of what was now called Minimalist music left one with an image of opening credits to a Western, in which one waited in vain for Tex Avery to come resplendant on a white charger over the Arizona skyline to the accompaniment of a wonderful melody, neither of which would come about!

Comment

whatever else, " Adjustable Wrench " is a great title for a piece of music.
          Would people say this is typical of Torke's work.
          I am tempted to seek more out, but relentlessly upbeat, if that is really what he writes, might be too much to take !
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I heard this a week ago, played by our local orchestra (St Albans Symphony Orchestra) and thought it was worth a second hearing. Must look on Spotify for it...

Comment

Were there any takers in the end? I have been partial to a bit of Torke in the past.

PS: Ha, ha. Try typing in "adjustable wrench Torke" to a search engine!

I missed that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Were there any takers in the end? I have been partial to a bit of Torke in the past.

PS: Ha, ha. Try typing in "adjustable wrench Torke" to a search engine!

I missed that one.

Only one member showed an interest. Perhaps the others who like Torke already had the item?

It has gone to a good home, with a charity benefitting by a contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Only one member showed an interest. Perhaps the others who like Torke already had the item?

It has gone to a good home, with a charity benefitting by a contribution.
                  I have his various colour related suites. Not bad but I always got the feeling that while he seemed able to torke the torke he could never quite worke the worke

I'll get my coat.........

Comment

Working...
                  X