Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Prokofiev Tale of the Stone Flower - Rozhdestvensky

Does anyone here happen to have the Melodiya CDs of this ballet? I have the boxed set but due to a mishap in the car, the first CD of The Tale of the Stone Flower has been rendered pretty much unplayable. If someone here also has the set, or indeed just the The Tale of the Stone Flower CDs, could they please liaise with me via the Personal Message system so that I do not have recourse to one of the dodgy Russian download sites to replace the damaged disc's content.

Bryn: which side of the disc is damaged, and how deeply? I've recently gobsmacked one of our esteemed Hosts by demonstration of the healing power of toothpaste on a CD scratched on laser-read side. But a bad scratch on the label side, through the silvering, is unrepairable I'm afraid.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Bryn: which side of the disc is damaged, and how deeply? I've recently gobsmacked one of our esteemed Hosts by demonstration of the healing power of toothpaste on a CD scratched on laser-read side. But a bad scratch on the label side, through the silvering, is unrepairable I'm afraid.
      Regrettably the reflective layer appears to be damaged. No hope of rescue rescue of the disc itself, I fear. I have tried what tricks I can, including the light abrasive effect of toothpaste on the scratches on the 'see-through' side.

Comment

Sorry I can't help you at the moment Bryn.

I'm just working my way through the wonderful Prokofiev symphonies conducted by Rozhdestvensky.

I've had The Stone Flower in my wish list for a while.

Comment

Thank you, Madam Suggia. I would be most grateful should you bear me in mind if and when that wish comes to fruition.

Comment

Bryn, I have a Decca LP of highlights from the Stone Flower, played by the OSR and conducted by Silvio Varviso (SXL 6203, dated 1965). Not the complete ballet, but better than nothing. I know a man who I think can make a transfer to CD, if you are interested.

Comment

Thanks for the kind offer, umslopogaas, but I do have something similar in the shape of a Neeme Jarvi CDs which include the suite from the ballet (SNO) and other extracts (Philharmonia). I'm sure I will eventually find a way of resolving the effective loss of that one disc from the set of Prokofiev ballets under Rozhdestvenky's baton. Perhaps I should consider getting the Noseda discs of the full ballet in the meantime? It does seem to have been well received over the Pond.

Comment

Is this relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post

Is this relevant?
                  It's based on the same original recordings, but whether or not the same transfers it's difficult to say.

If you happen to have the discs illustrated in your message, a Personal Message would be most welcome.

Mine are the first double CD in an 8 disc set of Prokofiev Ballets:

Comment

Working...
                  X