X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Slightly straying off-topic here; hope no-one objects. Here goes, anyway:

I've had a quick look at some comments on Krivine's LvB symphony set, and it really seems to be a complete 'Marmite' of a set! You know what I mean.
    Pretty similar outcome regarding Skrowaczewski, as well..... I'm not sure what to make of LvB symphony sets right now. I own a few.

That said, I have a real hankering for Bernstein's set with the New York Philharmonic. Am I normal? Is it worth the punt?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I do wish that when a work has a huge number of versions that more time could be allotted. I seem to remember that each component of the 'Ring' given a hour apiece.
      Well, to be fair, we did get the full hour for this one, more or less..

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      My votes go to Cluytens ('vintage'): a set which continues to impress the more familiar it becomes; Hogwood ('historically-informed'); and Wand ('modern sound').
      Alas, none of those was even mentioned, unless I missed something.

I thought this was an illuminating BAL about the symphony of LvB that I know least. I didn't think the dialogue spoilt it too much, possibly because I think RC and AMcG approach the subject from different perspectives - AMcG is clearly (based on listening over the years) a fan of the clean, modern approach, exemplified by the Paavo Järvi recordings about which he has enthused regularly. I bought one or two on the strength of seductive-sounding extracts (ditto Krivine and Immerseel) but have disposed of them all as lacking substance and (I thought) trivialising the music... so I was interested and glad to hear RC echo my feelings about that approach, referring to 'superficiality' I think. And then AMcG pressed him about this - don't you like the Jarvi? (or words to that effect)... and slightly disappointingly RC rowed back to a more equivocal (matey?) position of saying 'I like it ... but wouldn't prefer it to some others'...

There were one or two extracts which I found revelatory, although I can't now recall what they were ...

I think I shall give this one another listen
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        I have a real hankering for Bernstein's set with the New York Philharmonic.
        That's a good hanker.

Am I normal?
        Oh, I do hope not.

Is it worth the punt?
        Yes.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

I spent an entire summer listening to every available version I could find of the 'Pastoral' symphony. I recorded them on to mini-disc and numbered them so that my listening would be truly blind and I listened to each one at least twice. I had two clear favourites - Bernstein with the NY Phil. and Bernstein with the Vienna Phil!

So yes Visual and Ferney, great hanker!

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            That's a good hanker.

Oh, I do hope not.

Yes.
            Three out of three - brilliant!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Three out of three - brilliant!
              Could even be a hanker chief!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Could even be a hanker chief!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Slightly straying off-topic here; hope no-one objects. Here goes, anyway:

I've had a quick look at some comments on Krivine's LvB symphony set, and it really seems to be a complete 'Marmite' of a set! You know what I mean.
                  Pretty similar outcome regarding Skrowaczewski, as well..... I'm not sure what to make of LvB symphony sets right now. I own a few.

That said, I have a real hankering for Bernstein's set with the New York Philharmonic. Am I normal? Is it worth the punt?
                  I haven't heard the Bernstein set, except for the 7th, in a dog's age. The 7th was my intro to that work and I have it in my collection and listen to it with pleasure. I remember the 6th as being to hard driven--I don't think Lenny was one to relax in the country--and the 9th as being somewhat over the top (but not compared to the performance he gave in Berlin when the Wall came tumbling down). I can't remember the rest of the set at all.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

skrowacewski ! Give me strength I heard enough boring Beethoven performances by him and the Halle in the 1980s to last me a lifetime

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      skrowacewski ! Give me strength I heard enough boring Beethoven performances by him and the Halle in the 1980s to last me a lifetime

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Rob Cowan was very keen on thrust and I can understand his Skrowacewski selection. There are warm and tender qualities in this work which I didn't get from the chosen reading.

I happened to take down the later BPO/Abbado yesterday and didn't feel short changed in any department.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I'm waiting to receive the complete Abbado/re-mastered LvB cycle soon!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I am a big fan of the last Gunter Wand recording of the work , the LSO/Jochum and the Cluytens - no doubt all ignored .

Comment

• John Wright
                              • Mar 2007

As if in response to this thread is was a treat for me driving home late this evening, Symphony 2, Haitink / LSO LIVE, uninterrupted on, ahem, ClassicFM

(at the same time R3 had Haitink/COE Symphony 6)
                              - - -

John W

Comment

Working...
                              X