BaL 26.03.11 - Mozart Symphony no 25 in G minor.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BAL in which did not cover all the runners in the field!

Of the versions listed in message #1 there were at least two notable absentees - the Celibidache and the performance by The Danish National Chamber Orchestra under Adam Fischer (Symphonies Volume 7). The Fischer recording was chosen by Radio 3 for the recent Mozart-fest and also received high acclaim in the BBC Music Magazine (April 2010).

There have been many previous instances where the BAL coverage has not been as comprehensive as it should have and not infrequently the 'critic's choice' CD - the one we all may well have - e.g. the Vengerov (or a much-praised Naxos!) is not considered. But with today's example , and after Bolet was completely excluded from mention in both the 2011 Lizst 'Annees' BALs, I am becoming more sensitive on this issue.

Still, I enjoyed today's review and I think the music is wonderful. The only problem is that I had this Symphony (and much more Mozart) 'playing' repeatedly in my head after January.

Daaar...Derrrr...dar.at.at.at.A! Go away!!

Comment

Well although I enjoyed and welcomed the programme, I have listened again today to my Krips / Concertgebouw version in the light of what we heard this morning, and CdS's comments, and I am not remotely tempted to replace or supplement it. So as well as being good broadcasting, it's not cost me any money... Win win
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I understand that presenters only have three or four weeks to prepare a programme, and I'm not sure that I'd relish hearing and comparing all available versions.even as an expert, which I am not. There must be a great deal of note taking, rumination and study involved.
        A good BAL, I thought, even if I had to use the volume control quite a lot on Chris de Souza's voice.

I already have Kertesz, Mackerras, Barbirolli and others, so I'm happy to skip the Norrington, but it was an enjoyable survey. I seem to have two Klemperer versions, the one with the Philharmonia and a RIAS Symphony Orchestra performance dating from 1950 in the Great Conductors of the Century box

Comment

Well I will not be ordering the Norrington recording on the basis of this edition of Building Library, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            ...Klemperer versions, the one with the Philharmonia
            This is IM very HO, a splendid performance. I quite liked the Norrington, but I just can't get that damn harpsichord out of my head - as it were! I won't be adding to my WAM sym 25 selection. I have just Klemperer and Walter. That seems to do the job - oh, and Bohm and Mackerras (that pesky harpsichord again!)... but I really enjoyed the BaL.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Neither appears to available, though it's still possible to buy Britten's on Amazon - on a very high price Double Decca. I admit that I haven't traced a Colin Davis recording of the work.

I suppose this symphony's best known appearance is near the beginning of Amadeus when it is discovered that Salieri has tried to kill himself.
                I'm glad someone else has noted that there was a Colin Davis recording. I used to love hearing that, and it really ought to be put on CD. I think it was available in the early to mid 1970s. If it does ever pop up it'd be good to know about that. I'm probably imagining it as being better than almost all of its successors, but it was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

He only recorded Nos 21 onwards, and they always seem to have been much more valued on the continent than here. They garnered all the top ratings, 'diapasons d'or' etc. in France, where I bought them when they were issued on Philips CDs. They were re-released in a Decca box in 2007 I think, but it doesn't seem to be available here.

Hence I shouldn't think that Krips will feature in the programme, which is a pity. I listened to the 1st movement of No 25 today, it's wonderful.

You can listen to clips and indeed download it for pennies (well, cents) here:

http://www.amazon.fr/Mozart-Symphoni...626294&sr=8-12
                  Apparently there is a CD of a few of those - but at least "temporarily unavailable" from the French site.

However there is a box set available here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&s=music

I have some of the Krips recordings - thoroughly agree that they're very good. Could even be worth lashing out on the box set.

Comment

Pinnock got missed out and so did Hogwood - only available as part of a big box set of the complete symphonies, but a very important landmark in period performance IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I'm glad someone else has noted that there was a Colin Davis recording. I used to love hearing that, and it really ought to be put on CD. I think it was available in the early to mid 1970s. If it does ever pop up it'd be good to know about that. I'm probably imagining it as being better than almost all of its successors, but it was very good.
                      Dave2002, I had that version on LP from the early 1970s. The 'little' G minor symphony was coupled with the A major K201 and no 32. It's an excellent performance, much better than most of the versions I heard yesterday as far as I could gather from the extracts. The LSO of that period was a wonderful orchestra, and if this version isn't available on CD it certainly ought to be.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        Pinnock got missed out and so did Hogwood - only available as part of a big box set of the complete symphonies, but a very important landmark in period performance IMO.
                        Availability only in a box set has not usually been a reason on BAL to omit a performance from consideration. Pinnock is very much available.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Availability only in a box set has not usually been a reason on BAL to omit a performance from consideration. Pinnock is very much available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Symph...1224403&sr=8-1
                          I think that nearly £51 for one recommended performance is stretching ''very much available", certainly for my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post

Anyway, available where? Do downloads count or imports? Surely in this day and age of global reach and Google the avid collector is quite capable of seeking out things even if they are in obscure places. The BBC research people must have access to discographies and international catalogues etc and after all isn't that what we expect them to be doing on our behalf? If they can't find/get the recordings then perhaps neither can we so tell us that too. Present the research and comment and then let the listener decide where he wishes to purchase his preferred choice.

Or are we suffering the budget problem that there is a fee for the presenter and certain man hours of research in the CDR office and they only go so far? Do it well or don't do it at all?

Well, I'm sure many here are sick of me banging on about the Britten Violin Concerto when Ida Haendel didn't even get a mention but the excuse given was that it wasn't 'in the catalogue' despite me able to easily order it from Amazon for a very low price!

Comment

I really enjoyed the Barbirolli excerpts - another recording of the great man I have to buy !

Comment

Barbirollians

It was GREAT - but it's just a pity that it wasn't recorded with the technology of even just 15 years after 1940... it would definitely be on my 'wish list'

Comment

Working...
                                X