Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doversoul View Post

I bought Hogwood’s CD but much to my disappointment, there was no libretto.
    Try this:

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Thank you for the link. I found it too but this production seems to be quite a bit shortened, unless I didn’t follow it carefully enough when I watched the Jacobs’s production. Nevertheless, it was/is very useful.
      Last edited by doversoul1; 18-09-14, 08:26.

Comment

Listen Before…

It’s 9.02 am on Saturday morning and I am listening to this.

Anna Picard compares recordings of Handel’s opera Orlando and makes a recommendation.

Building a Library: Handel: Orlando
        Duration: 56:04
        Anna Picard compares recordings of Handel’s opera Orlando and makes a recommendation

Available since: Yesterday

What's going on?

Comment

Probably a podcast put up too early, ds. I'm listening to CD Review live where the Orlando BaL is just starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Not many recordings of this work? Is this enough?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

10.15 am
              Well, it is good to hear this work in different performances but so far, this is a sort of ‘analytical listening’ of the work. Where is the comparison of the performances other than the reviewer’s odd verbal descriptions? And so far, no James Bowman, no Emma Kirkby!! I find this a very frustrating BaL.
              Last edited by doversoul1; 20-09-14, 10:34.

Comment

Tried to get interested. Sorry, but Anna Picard's voice, a relentlessly un-radio voice, made the opera as interesting as a shopping list.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Tried to get interested. Sorry, but Anna Picard's voice, a relentlessly un-radio voice, made the opera as interesting as a shopping list.
                  A bit too detached, perhaps? I dunno - makes a pleasant change from the gushing enthusiasm that seems to be the "house style". She picked my own favoured recording and for the same reasons that I would've given, whilst also saying that many others were equally fine in their own way - which is also how I felt.

Obviously a woman of great discernment and intelligence!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I had to snigger when she said that the Jacobs recording was the only one which made her laugh...because like DracoM, her voice sounded so expressionless to me that I couldn't imagine her laughing at all.

I already have the Hogwood, but I must admit, I rather liked the sound of that new one from Pacific Baroque - and it is dirt cheap on Amazon at present.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      But some of what she said WAS interesting. Would we really want one of the current "Radio 3 Favourites" to present a BaL?

Comment

It's not only precentrices who are castigated for their vocal delivery...

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          I already have the Hogwood, but I must admit, I rather liked the sound of that new one from Pacific Baroque - and it is dirt cheap on Amazon at present.
                          Not as dirty cheap as the Hogwood which seems to have been reissued on 2 (rather than the 3 L'Oiseau Lyre) discs on Australian Eloquence, and is available with change from 11 quid:

I didn't mind this BAL, the reviewer wasn't annoying and there were plenty of extracts which allowed one to make one's own mind up... and it ran almost the full hour, which is always welcome. I have a funny feeling that the Jacobs set might pall on repeated listening. I'm happy to stick with the Hogwood.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                          X