Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Probably won't figure on air, but BBC MM put out a 1995 live performance under King which didn't stint on soloists - Susan Gritton, James Bowman, Rogers Covey-Crump, Mark Milhofer, Colin Campbell, Michael George.

My first version in LP days was the Archiv ECO/ Mackerras version, long gone because the last chorus seemed almost untrackable even by decent Shure cartridges. In the end I binned it because a stylus apparently gave up and settled for cutting its own groove No such problems with the Parrott in its LP version I'm pleased to report.

Terrific work - might just be up for a new version...

EDIT post-programme. Apparently I didn't bin the Mackerras - there it is on the LP shelf, cunningly hidden alongside the Parrott<doh> Must see if a superior MC cartridge and a Linn do any better than my old Shures, though I fear they did plough their own furrow

I should probably stick with the Parrott on LP, but the King box of the complete odes, welcome songs etc is very tempting. Did I hear a rumour that it's Christmas soon?
    Couldn't wait for Santa Picked up the 6 King vols that I hadn't got from Marketplace (mix of new and s/h) for about £30, a lot better than the big box for £55 (import only apparently)

The Festive Season has definitely now started chez LMP
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      a good BAL eh?
      Yes, a delight from start to finish, for me. Wonderful music, fascinating differences between the various approaches.

I would like to hear the King, Parrott and Herreweghe in full. Don't need another version though, I don't think, I have the Mackerras and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        Yes, a delight from start to finish, for me. Wonderful music, fascinating differences between the various approaches.
        Agree completely - a super 50 minute listen, about a work of which I don't have a recording. It was the Herreweghe that consistently caught my ear - this may well be an instance of me investing in the runner-up.

Am I wrong or did JEG's version rather sink without trace? Can't recall a great deal of time spent on it by the reviewer....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Yes, Cali, the JEG got dismissed pretty quickly...if I remember rightly, there was a rather barbed comment about him making Purcell sound like Handel.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Yes, Cali, the JEG got dismissed pretty quickly...if I remember rightly, there was a rather barbed comment about him making Purcell sound like Handel.
            That could be a serious improvement. I just invested in it...

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I was surprised and disappointed at JEG's fussy over-stressing/ over-separation of the words in an excerpt played: it broke up the musical line horribly IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                I was surprised and disappointed at JEG's fussy over-stressing/ over-separation of the words in an excerpt played: it broke up the musical line horribly IMHO.
                Indeed. He seemed to apply the Lutheran treatment quite inappropriately. Interesting that Herrewegher was more in sympathy with the style.

Comment

I remember reading an interview with Herreweghe once in which he said that he prized just a few lines of Purcell over the the whole of Lully's output. Obviously he has great regard for him...all the more surprising that he has never given us more.

Comment

Who won, then?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      Who won, then?
                      The old (1980s?) Andrew Parrott.

Comment

Well, this is odd. I’m sure this was available from Presto Classical when I checked their catalogue a few days ago. Didn’t Andrew say it was available on CD with two other works?

Comment

A pity about that being a download, ah well have to search for the next best!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            A pity about that being a download, ah well have to search for the next best!
                            ... BBM - doversoul pointed out in #28 above that it is available as a CD -

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                            Well, this is odd. I’m sure this was available from Presto Classical when I checked their catalogue a few days ago. Didn’t Andrew say it was available on CD with two other works?
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purcell-Ceci...KYQVEXGXGS67A2

Comment

A thread on CDs, downloads and streaming has been detached from the BaL thread on Purcell, as requested.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                A thread on CDs, downloads and streaming has been detached from the BaL thread on Purcell, as requested.

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...oads-streaming
                                Thanks Vinteul! Great idea FF!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X