Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonathan Swain View Post
    ...So, I can’t reject it on the grounds that it doesn’t conform to the ‘template’ ...
    This philosophy is the essence of a good review, which Saturday's BaL undoubtedly was. It was in stark contrast to the previous week's offering when Roy Goodman laid down en extremely narrow set of "rules" (his own word) with very little flexibility in interpretation. Jonathan Swain's excellent review restored my faith in BaL

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      This philosophy is the essence of a good review, which Saturday's BaL undoubtedly was. It was in stark contrast to the previous week's offering when Roy Goodman laid down en extremely narrow set of "rules" (his own word) with very little flexibility in interpretation. Jonathan Swain's excellent review restored my faith in BaL
      With respect EA, Jonathan had a much smaller pool to choose from that did Roy Goodman who had to find a 'reason' for narrowing down his options.

Whatever 'rules' were chosen, it wouldn't suit everyone.Andrew acknowledged the Herculean aspect of Goodman's task at the very start & I still think that they accomplished an impossible task pretty well.

Comment

Wise words am51.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          With respect EA, Jonathan had a much smaller pool to choose from that did Roy Goodman who had to find a 'reason' for narrowing down his options.

Whatever 'rules' were chosen, it wouldn't suit everyone.Andrew acknowledged the Herculean aspect of Goodman's task at the very start & I still think that they accomplished an impossible task pretty well.
          Yes, the list was enormous, but he could have made a broadly-based shortlist from the outset, based upon musical merit rather than personal obsession, and then compared these versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Yes, the list was enormous, but he could have made a broadly-based shortlist from the outset, based upon musical merit rather than personal obsession, and then compared these versions.
            "broadly-based shortlist from the outset, based upon musical merit" - not a lot of possibility for shared criteria there, EA. Goodman made a list based on musical merit as he defines it, I believe

Comment

Jonathan Swain,

How nice to find you here! Do you remember the Festival Hall series of the Prokofiev symphonies with Edward Downes at the helm of the BBC PO? Now if they were available they would be high on my list. I've always enjoyed the Leinsdorf 6, and don't have your reservations about the sound. John Browning made a fine set of the Piano Concertos with him and the Boston SO, also available on Testament. Hearing them on LP was a great introduction to nos. 2 & 4, I remember.
              Warm Wishes
              Ferret

Comment

So theres no tempo markings on Prokofiev 6! So thats why some recordings drag the ending out and others go for a gallop! The idea of course is to make E flat major sound completly un-triumpant. It fullfills that in the Decca NHK recording. It would be interesting which speed was used in the 1947 premiere!

Also important to remember that the orchestral scream at the start of mvt 2 and near the end of mvt 2 are different, the latter being even more dramatic.

And of course, in mvt 1 you've got a very controlled climax with the orchestral tutti and the rolling drums which you dont often get in Prokofiev.

A few thoughts for anyone attempting to play it!

3VS
                Last edited by Guest; 21-04-11, 16:52. Reason: I can't type

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  Jonathan Swain,

How nice to find you here! Do you remember the Festival Hall series of the Prokofiev symphonies with Edward Downes at the helm of the BBC PO? Now if they were available they would be high on my list. I've always enjoyed the Leinsdorf 6, and don't have your reservations about the sound. John Browning made a fine set of the Piano Concertos with him and the Boston SO, also available on Testament. Hearing them on LP was a great introduction to nos. 2 & 4, I remember.
                  Warm Wishes
                  Ferret
                  Recently re-released as a boxed set Ferret:

Presto is cheaper still on special offer

Comment

Do you remember the Festival Hall series of the Prokofiev symphonies with Edward Downes at the helm of the BBC PO? Now if they were available they would be high on my list. I've always enjoyed the Leinsdorf 6, and don't have your reservations about the sound
                    Hail Ferret - Downes’ Prokofiev symphony cycle at the RFH - early 90s wasn’t it? Chandos missed a trick there (a recorded cycle may have upstaged their Järvi one?). Perhaps there are BBC tapes somewhere. Let’s hope so…… Am slightly concerned now that I may have jettisoned Leinsdorf unfairly on account of the recorded sound (these things are very system-dependent!). Did feel though that there was a touch of the drill sergeant about Leinsdorf (and not just in Prokofiev 6)…. All best wishes, J

Comment

I have fond memories of a series of three programmes on Radio 3 back, I think, in the early '80s, which included performances conducted by Downes of pairs of linked Prokofiev works. The Fourth and The Prodigal Son was one, the Cello Concerto and Symphony Concerto (Rohan de Saram) was another. I cant quite recall what the third was immediately. I wonder if they might still be in the archive?

Comment

Where is the podcast for this BAL? It sems to be missing from the list and has never appeared since the broadcast.

Comment

I was wondering about this too.

Comment

Do you remember the Festival Hall series of the Prokofiev symphonies with Edward Downes at the helm of the BBC PO? Ferret
                            I attended two of these concerts given on April 27 & 28 1991 and which featured the last three symphonies and the Sinfonia Concertante. I would also strongly welcome a CD issue of these memorable performances.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Anyone had the Prok 6 BAL podcast yet? Not me

Here it's leapt from the Beethoven Vln concerto to yesterday's Rossini... Been refreshing regularly over the past week.

Anyone else been denied it?
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

No sign of it, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X