• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 7.03.15 - Clara Schumann: Piano Trio in G minor Op. 17

Building a Library
    Pianist and composer David Owen Norris sifts the available recordings of Clara Schumann's 1846 Piano Trio in G minor, one of her of finest compositions, to make a personal recommendation. Perhaps fearing competition too close to home, Robert Schumann didn't exactly encourage his spouse's musical career: 'the wife stands even higher than the artist', he said maybe a little disingenuously. But Clara had other ideas: undaunted, she continued to pursue both her composing and her tours as a piano virtuoso. Robert's response? A piano trio of his own, a year later.

Available versions:-

Abegg Trio
    Atlantis Trio (download)
    Beaux Arts Trio (download)
    Rodolfo Bonucci, Andrea Noferini, Francesco Nicolosi
    Boulanger Trio
    Dartington Piano Trio
    Double Image
    Rosamunde Quartet, String Trio
    Joseph Silverstein, Colin Carr, Veronica Jochum
    Storioni Trio
    Streicher Trio (download)
    Swiss Piano Trio
    Triangulus
    Antje Weithaas, Tanja Tetzlaff, Gunilla Sussmann
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 07-03-15, 20:07.
  • cincinnatus
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Building a Library
    Pianist and composer David Owen Norris sifts the available recordings of Clara Schumann's 1846 Piano Trio in G minor, one of her of finest compositions, to make a personal recommendation. Perhaps fearing competition too close to home, Robert Schumann didn't exactly encourage his spouse's musical career: 'the wife stands even higher than the artist', he said maybe a little disingenuously. But Clara had other ideas: undaunted, she continued to pursue both her composing and her tours as a piano virtuoso. Robert's response? A piano trio of his own, a year later.

Available versions:-

Abegg Trio
    Atlantis Trio (download)
    Rodolfo Bonucci, Andrea Noferini, Francesco Nicolosi
    Boulanger Trio
    Dartington Piano Trio
    Double Image
    Joseph Silverstein, Colin Carr, Veronica Jochum
    Storioni Trio
    Streicher Trio (download)
    Swiss Piano Trio
    Triangulus
    Antje Weithaas, Tanja Tetzlaff, Gunilla Sussmann
    It is possible to download the Beaux Arts recording from a 4 CD Philips Original Masters set from Amazon, EA.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 07-03-15, 22:46.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cincinnatus View Post
      It is possible to download the Beaux Arts recording from a 4 CD Philips Original Masters set from Amazon, EA.
      Thank you.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

This will be a treat - a piece I don't know at all, DON in the saddle... and I love a good piano trio
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Building a Library
          Pianist and composer David Owen Norris sifts the available recordings of Clara Schumann's 1846 Piano Trio in G minor, one of her of finest compositions, to make a personal recommendation. Perhaps fearing competition too close to home, Robert Schumann didn't exactly encourage his spouse's musical career: 'the wife stands even higher than the artist', he said maybe a little disingenuously. But Clara had other ideas: undaunted, she continued to pursue both her composing and her tours as a piano virtuoso. Robert's response? A piano trio of his own, a year later....
          Even more painful for Robert, as he withdrew his really first piano trio from 1842 and only published it later as the Phantasiestücke op.88 after a thourough revision of that pianotrio no.0. That trio is definitely qualitatively overshadowed by Clara's g-minor, while the Trio nr.1 in d op.63 from 1847 isn't one of Robert's strongest works and hardly up to Clara's either .

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

I have a recording of Clara's piano trio in G major, op 17. Is that the same or different?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              I have a recording of Clara's piano trio in G major, op 17. Is that the same or different?
              Has got to be the same, as there is only one Clara Schumann piano trio. So, the major it your recording's title has got to be a mistake.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

This recording of piano and chamber works was a present from my wife and very good it is too.

Available as download and as CD import (at an exaggerated price.)

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  This will be a treat - a piece I don't know at all, DON in the saddle... and I love a good piano trio
                  It is very rare I scale your dizzy heights but l don't know it either. Just streaming the Boulanger Trio now ....very enjoyable...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I haven't heard it either. However, if it's half as good as her piano concerto we could be in for a surprise.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Has got to be the same, as there is only one Clara Schumann piano trio. So, the major it your recording's title has got to be a mistake.
                      Thanks, Roehre. I got the Oryx LP out of its sleeve to listen to it after many years and notice that while the sleeve has it as being in G major, the label has it in G minor (as is the music!). FYI the performance is by the Clara-Wieck Trio ( Franziska Koscielny, violin, Gisela Reith, cello, Monica von Saalfeld, piano). NLA of course.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

FYI the performance is by the Clara-Wieck Trio ( Franziska Koscielny, violin, Gisela Reith, cello, Monica von Saalfeld, piano). NLA of course.

If you're prepared to pay the price, anything's possible.

Comment

• verismissimo
                          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Eine Alpensinfonie;471127]If you're prepared to pay the price, anything's possible.

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIO

132 quid? I paid 10 shillings, Alpie. And the performance is a bit dull!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

If you're prepared to pay the price, anything's possible.
                            132 quid? I paid 10 shillings, Alpie. And the performance is a bit dull!
                            I was thinking more of the used version at only £18. But if the performance is dull, maybe that's a bit steep too.

Comment

• Don Petter

I think the Macalester Trio's version is still available?

Comment

Working...
                              X