Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 30.04.11 - Dvorak: String Quartet in G, Op.106

Jan Smaczny with a personal recommendation from the available recordings of Dvorak's String Quartet in G, Op.106

Available versions

Pavel Haas Quartet
    Kocian Quartet
    The Lindsays
    Tanja Tetzlaff, Gustav Rivinius (cello) & Antje Weithaas, Christian Tetzlaff (violins)
    Pacifica Quartet
    Vlach Quartet Prague
    Prazák String Quartet
    Alban Berg Ouartet
    Emerson String Quartet
    Panocha Quartet
    The Smetana Quartet?
    Stamitz Quartet
    Panocha Quartet
    Prague String Quartet
    Pacifica Quartet
    Melos Quartet
    Chilingirian Quartet

Downloads:
    Artemis Quartet
    Vlach Quartet Prague
    Audubon Quartet
    Wister Quartet

No longer available:
    Talich Quartet (nla)
    Travnicek Quartet (nla)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 10:14.

As the following week's BaL will be a general round-up of a composer's recordings, it may be as well to enjoy this one. (I've yet to hear the work.)

Comment

I have the Talich version which will presumably be excluded from consideration - very good though. I've heard the work many times live and on R3 - Chilingirian and Prazak Quartets in particular stood out, but I don't know their recordings.

It's a wonderful work, as is its companion the A flat quartet op 105 - I much prefer them to the overplayed 'American' quartet op 96.

Comment

Alpine, you're in or a treat, it's a masterpiece and one of my favourite quartets. I have the Prague set on DG and they are very good. The sound is not the latest, but it's perfectly ok.

Mike

Comment

I've only ever had the Vlachs in this quartet. Very enjoyable.

Comment

I missed it. What was recommended?

Comment

Pavel Haas Quartet was the top choice. It was another of those BaLs where I could have happily listened to any of the versions played, judging from the extracts.

Comment

I enjoyed the PH but there were quite a few that I was not comfortable with. For my taste, too many of the quartets 'over interpreted' the music with too much attention so minor detail and not enough for the overall sweep of the work.

I'll stick with the Prague set which I suspect were largely ignored because it's a large box set and dates from 1975. Nothing I heard was better and the set contains so many other treasures.

Mike

Comment

For cheapskates the very good Stamitz 10CD complete set of Dvorak quartets is available for less than the 1CD recommended version.

Comment

Ordered. Thanks gurnemanz.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      For cheapskates the very good Stamitz 10CD complete set of Dvorak quartets is available for less than the 1CD recommended version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dvor%C3%A1k-...4208403&sr=8-1
                      Not quite less - I ordered my copy of 'the winner' (for once, as I don't own it and was attracted by what I heard) for £9.99... along with the v good value Glazunov concerto set....
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I downloaded the whole album from emusic.com (a subscription service which I use intermittently) for £3.36, in high bit rate mp3. Very satisfactory to my ears.

Comment

I thought I knew Dvorak's string quartets, but, lapping up the newly-acquired 10 CD set from the Stamitzes, I realise that, having reached the end of CD5, I've only ever previously heard the Cypresses on CD3. Where did they all spring from?

More familiar territory to come.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                            I thought I knew Dvorak's string quartets, but, lapping up the newly-acquired 10 CD set from the Stamitzes, I realise that, having reached the end of CD5, I've only ever previously heard the Cypresses on CD3. Where did they all spring from?

More familiar territory to come.
                            Verismissimo,

I am sure you have heard the original songs (B.11) from which Dvorak arranged his Cypresses. If not I recommend them as a complement to the B.152 Quartet. The much missed Philip Langridge recorded them with Radoslav Kvapil (and the Quartet) on the bargain Alto label. ALC 1038. They are gorgeous. Dvorak loved his quartet version dating from 1887. The songs, dating from the 1860s were an unrequited love token to a pupil and remained unsung in public until 1983.

bws
                            Chris.

Comment

It is a superb record but the Op 106 is a better than the American - there are some slight agogic pauses in the slow movement that are very slightly annoying but they don't spoil the record but I do still prefer my long time favourites the Hollywood Quartet.

Comment

Working...
                              X