No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 25.11.23 - Ravel: Le tombeau de Couperin

10.30 am
    Building a Library: Flora Willson chooses her favourite recording of the piano version of Ravel’s Le tombeau de Couperin

Ravel composed between Le tombeau de Couperin in 1914 and 1917. It’s in six movements, based on those of a traditional Baroque suite. Each movement is dedicated to the memory of a friend who had died fighting in World War I.

I had assumed that both the piano original (six movements) and orchestral suite (four movements) would be covered.
    So nearly all my listening, mentioned recently on the What Classical....thread (Abbabo, Ansermet, Boulez (Sony and DG), Dutoit, Haitink, Martinon, Ozawa), in which I thought Ansermet surprisingly good (despite fears over the woodwind intonation), has been in vain!

Comment

I wonder how short the short list will be.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I wonder how short the short list will be.
        I'll try to compile one from the Presto site, but it's currently down.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          10.30 am
          Ravel composed between Le tombeau de Couperin in 1914 and 1917.
          Do you think the BBC's using dodgy AI to generate its schedule text?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
            Do you think the BBC's using dodgy AI to generate its schedule text?
            That would be tragic enough, but more so is that no-one seems to bother checking what appears on their website.

Comment

A quick list of available recordings gleaned (rather unquestioningly) from the Presto site.
              Some performers might have made more than one recording.

No distinction of availability (CD/D ) made; that would have taken much longer!

Audrey Abela
              Alice Ader
              Hinrich Alpers
              Yukari Arai
              Hakon Austbo
              Martin James Bartlett
              Cinzia Bartoli
              Giovanni Umberto Battel
              Jean-Efflam Bavouzet
              Kim Bernard
              Claude Bessmann
              Denise Bidal
              Idil Biret
              John Browning
              Michelangelo Carbonara
              Robert Casadesus
              Bertrand Chamayou
              Joanne Chang
              Sean Chen
              Stephanie Shih-yu Cheng
              Jean-Philippe Collard
              Paul Crossley
              Larissa Dedova
              Francois Dumont
              Akiko Ebi
              Michael Endres
              Philippe Entremont
              Gordon Fergus-Thompson
              Jacques Fevrier
              Homero Francesch
              Samson François
              Paolo Giacometti
              Walter Gieseking
              Emil Gilels
              Alfonso Gomez
              Benjamin Grosvenor
              Monique Haas
              Werner Haas
              Mengjie Han
              Angela Hewitt
              Reiko Hozu
              Won-Sook Hur
              Ivo Janssen
              David Korevaar
              Klara Kormendi
              Alexander Krichel
              Dejan Lazic
              Clément Lefebvre
              Julien Libeer
              Cecile Licad
              Louis Lortie
              Heidi Lowy
              Nikita Magaloff
              Ann Martin-Davis
              Dominique Merlet
              Marcelle Meyer
              Nathalia Milstein
              Gwendolyn Mok
              Vanessa Benelli Mosell
              Roger Muraro
              Keigo Mukawa
              Jean Frédéric Neuburger
              Brenda Lucas Ogdon
              Steven Osborne
              Cécile Ousset
              Javier Perianes
              Vlado Perlemuter
              Artur Pizarro
              Georges Pludermacher
              Anne Queffélec
              Anne Riegler
              Pascal Rogé
              Charles Rosen
              Jacques Rouvier
              Alexander Schimpf
              Phyllis Sellick
              Hüseyin Sermet
              Abbey Simon
              Yeol Eum Son
              Kathryn Stott
              Jean-Philippe Sylvestre
              Alexandre Tharaud
              Jean-Yves Thibaudet
              Francois-Joel Thiollier
              Valerie Tryon
              Florian Uhlig
              Orion Weiss
              Alexis Weissenberg

Comment

A favourite piece of music and, although I have several on the above list which I greatly like, Benjamin Grosvenor seems to me to bring something special to this music. The Fugue (second movement - and one of the two not included in the orchestral version) has, in his hands, moved me to tears.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I remember the RSNO playing it years ago. The orchestra was trialling first oboe players and there was a super American chap on that week. The chief conductor at that time was Stephane Denève who loved chuntering away to the audience before the concert began. Away he went, hind legs of donkeys littering the stage whilst the first oboe sat, sweating, before he got the opportunity to play one of the biggest oboe solos. He played extremely well despite the nerve splitting wait…

I played a gig with this chap a few weeks later and told him how impressed I’d been with his performance. He said that Denève’s speechifying got longer at each successive performance until someone had a discreet word.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    Slightly off topic, but I remember the RSNO playing it years ago. The orchestra was trialling first oboe players and there was a super American chap on that week. The chief conductor at that time was Stephane Denève who loved chuntering away to the audience before the concert began. Away he went, hind legs of donkeys littering the stage whilst the first oboe sat, sweating, before he got the opportunity to play one of the biggest oboe solos. He played extremely well despite the nerve splitting wait…

I played a gig with this chap a few weeks later and told him how impressed I’d been with his performance. He said that Denève’s speechifying got longer at each successive performance until someone had a discreet word.
                    I heard Deneve conduct in Philadelphia, before the pandemic. His mouth does runneth over

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Staying off topic, this was the make or break first hurdle to conquer in the orchestral versions I listened to, and I was actually surprised by the OSR/Ansermet recording, since that orchestra was not known for the sweetness of its woodwind.

Comment

I much prefer the piano version to the (partial) orchestration - perhaps because Ravel was renowned as an orchestrator no-one has attempted to orchestrate the two missing movemnts even though the work is out of copyright. I have the Rogé version which is fine but would like to hear more recent performances. From the list above, Tharaud appeals but I will listen with interest.
                        Last edited by CallMePaul; 23-11-23, 23:32. Reason: Correction of my error!

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                          I much prefer the piano version to the (partial) orchestration - perhaps because Ravel was renowned as an orchestrator no-one has attempted to orchestrate the two missing movemnts even though the work is out of copyright. I have the Rogé version which is fine but would like to hear more recent orchestrations. From the list above, Tharaud appeals but I will listen with interest.

Not strictly true.

This is from Wiki:

Several other composers have since created orchestrations of those two movements which Ravel omitted, the Fugue and the Toccata. David Diamond orchestrated the second movement Fugue, while the Hungarian pianist and conductor Zoltán Kocsis produced his own version of both the Fugue and the Toccata. However, here, the Toccata, scored for a very large orchestra, goes far beyond the limits of Ravel's own, small orchestra, and the Fugue is set for winds only. Another instrumentation of Fugue and Toccata by pianist Michael Round was recorded by Vladimir Ashkenazy (Exton, 2003): the score is published (as two separate titles, 'Fugue' and 'Toccata') by Edwin F. Kalmus. Round's version of the Toccata adds percussion, requiring up to five players. Kalmus omitted the percussion parts from the published score so as to exactly match the orchestration of the rest of the suite, but these parts are available separately, directly from the orchestrator. In 2013 the British composer Kenneth Hesketh orchestrated the Fugue and Toccata for the exact orchestration of the original four-movement orchestral suite. The first performance was given by the Goettingen Symphony Orchestra conducted by Christoph-Mathias Mueller. The scores are available from Schott Music, London.​

Comment

Flora Willson - switch off time.

Comment

My first version was Louis Lortie, borrowed from the local library, and it remains a favourite. Ben Grosvenor would make an excellent library choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X