Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally my fault, yes confused the two. Anyway, I’ve just listened to Klaus. (Make sure you hear the Abbey Rd recording coupled with a Berlin Bruckner 4, not the LPO label BBC recording from only a year earlier, which is meant to sound less good, and isn’t the one that TS recommended, although it might be the performance I heard live.) There may be some differences in editions, but KT is 75 minutes against BH’s 89. That’s a huge difference overall, I think you’d come away from either at a performance thrilled and satisfied with what you heard. KT is tighter, sharper, the whole thing more in primary colours, although I never felt it ‘wild’.The Bavarian orchestra sounds more echt Bruckner - they really are pretty much a match for Berlin or Vienna (which May of course be a reason why Rattle has gone there).Ultimately I find BH more satisfying, almost perfect with this composer, such an assured guide, and the extra time he takes is put to good use. You pays your money, and you takes ….

Comment

It was a memorable evening when Haitink brought the LPO to Manchester c.1976/77 and conducted two C minor symphonies: Haydn 95 and Bruckner 8, a concert still talked about in Manchester years later.

Comment

Working...
      X