No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 23.12.23 - Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty

10.30 am
    Building a Library: Sarah Lenton chooses her favourite version of Tchaikovsky’s ballet The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty, completed in 1889, is the second of Tchaikovsky’s three ballets. The first performance took place at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg in 1890, and has remained one of the most famous of all ballets. Tchaikovsky based his work on the Brothers Grimm’s version of the story in which the Princess’s parents survive the 100-year sleep to celebrate the Princess’s wedding with the Prince. The ballet also incorporates other characters (beloved of Christmas pantomimes) such as Puss in Boots, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, and Tom Thumb - so a perfect treat for Christmas. At the premiere, Tsar Alexander III summoned Tchaikovsky to the imperial box and made the simple remark ‘Very nice,’ which seemed to have irritated Tchaikovsky.

Available versions:-

L’Orchestre de la Suisse Romand, Ernest Ansermet

Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Antal Dorati *

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Mark Ermler *

Kirov Ballet, Viktor Fedotov (DVD)

Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, Anatole Fistoulari

Dutch National Ballet, Ermanno Florio (DVD)

Orchestra of the Kirov Opera, St. Petersburg, Valery Gergiev *

Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre, Valery Gergiev *

Bolshoi Ballet, Yuri Grigorovich (DVD)

Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Neeme Järvi (SACD)

London Philharmonic Orchestra, Vladimir Jurowski

State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia “Evgeny Svetlanov”, Vladimir Jurowski

Royal Opera House Covent Garden Orchestra, Koen Kessels (DVD/Blu-ray)

Orchestra of Teatro alla Scala, Felix Korobov(DVD/Blu-ray)

Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra, Andrew Mogrelia

Sleeping Beauty Orchestra, Brett Morris (DVD)

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Valeriy Ovsyanikov (DVD/Blu-ray)

Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev *

London Symphony Orchestra, André Previn

Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Robert Reimer (DVD/Blu-ray)

Philharmonia Zurich, Robertas Servenikas (DVD/Blu-ray)

BBC Symphony Orchestra, Gennady Rozhdestvensky *** (a significant recording that may not be currently available)

Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra, Vassily Sinaisky (DVD/Blu-ray)

Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin

SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Hiroshi Wakasugi

Philharmonia Orchestra, George Weldon *

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Barry Wordsworth (DVD)

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Barry Wordsworth

(* = download only)

From the blurb:

The first performance took place at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg in 1890, and has remained one of the most famous of all ballets.​

I wonder what happened at it!
    Presumably the first performance of The rite of spring eclipsed it, and it lost its preeminence.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 03-12-23, 10:12. Reason: i changed to I (Glitch with new Forum: new line doesn't default to capital letter!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      From the blurb:

The first performance took place at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg in 1890, and has remained one of the most famous of all ballets.​

i wonder what happened at it!
      Presumably the first performance of The rite of spring eclipsed it, and it lost its preeminence.
      Perhaps Fairy Carabosse tipped her spindle with novichok.

Comment

Surprisingly this chestnut has only been covered by BaL once before; in December 1993, when David Nice chose the ROHCG O conducted by Ermler

Comment

The absorbing 1980 BBC SO 3-LP version under Rozhdestvensky (BBC3001), much better pressed in its Eurodisc reissue, was a groundbreakingly complete version in its day. Many earlier recordings had cuts of greater or lesser magnitude. But it seems no longer available on CD, since 2002, more's the pity.

Edit: that 2002 CD (BBC Legends) set was in fact of the live performance, which preceded the studio recording.
          Last edited by Master Jacques; 03-12-23, 11:43.

Comment

Although BBC MM chose the ROH recordings under Ermler for their Swan Lake and Nutcracker excerpts, their Sleeping Beauty (extended highlights!) CD is with the BBCPO under Sinaisky (Vol 9, No 4). Just thought that Alison would like to know.

Comment

I think Sleeping Beauty is one of Pletnev's best efforts in the studio - and I say that as no particular fan of many of his discs. It has all the same attributes that make his early Pathetique still one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                I think Sleeping Beauty is one of Pletnev's best efforts in the studio - and I say that as no particular fan of many of his discs. It has all the same attributes that make his early Pathetique still one of the best.
                I wholeheartedly agree: if pressed for a "winner" myself (from about ten sets here on CD) I would firmly plump for Pletnev, who combines wit and delicacy with a degree of theatrical drive, in his outstandingly played and recorded set.

Comment

Considering the date of the BAL, it’s surprising not to see the Nutcracker as the Tchaikovsky ballet chosen

Did Abravanel recorded Sleeping Beauty? I have his Nutcracker and Swan Lake on DVD-A but can’t remember if S.B. was also done

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Considering the date of the BAL, it’s surprising not to see the Nutcracker as the Tchaikovsky ballet chosen
                    Sleeping Beauty is as much a part of Christmas (at least here in Europe) as The Nutcracker and Cinderella. I am sure you will know that Sleeping Beauty remains one of the most popular Christmas pantomimes here in the UK; and the Tchaikovsky ballet is equally thought of as "Festive Fare".

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                      The absorbing 1980 BBC SO 3-LP version under Rozhdestvensky (BBC3001), much better pressed in its Eurodisc reissue, was a groundbreakingly complete version in its day. Many earlier recordings had cuts of greater or lesser magnitude. But it seems no longer available on CD, since 2002, more's the pity.

Edit: that 2002 CD (BBC Legends) set was in fact of the live performance, which preceded the studio recording.
                      Does anyone else remember that live performance in 1979? It was broadcast live on R3 but the bass trombonist was apparently stuck in traffic and didn't get to the Royal Festival Hall until around 8.30. The Sleeping Beauty is a full length ballet and the consequence was that the performance didn't finish until close to 11pm. I wasn't there but listening on R3. Happy days!
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        BaL covered The Nutcracker as recently as December 2019:

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                          Sleeping Beauty is as much a part of Christmas (at least here in Europe) as The Nutcracker and Cinderella. I am sure you will know that Sleeping Beauty remains one of the most popular Christmas pantomimes here in the UK; and the Tchaikovsky ballet is equally thought of as "Festive Fare".
                          Here, it’s the Nutrcaker or nothin this time of year

Comment

I remain fond of the Previn recording.

Comment

Looking at Presto's site scarcely any versions remain available on CD - the7CD set of Previn's recordings of the three - Nutcracker, Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty at £12.30 in their boxed set sale looks a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X