Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The number of 'stellar' performances available on YouTube is astonishing. As for the title (back to Pedants' Paradise), researches suggest that Müller's poems first appeared as Die Winterreise and the first published edition of Schubert's song cycle appeared as Winterreise. So a puzzle remains: did Schubert intend his work to be called Winterreise, and if so is there any significance to be read into it?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

". . . By removing the definite article from Mueller's poetic cycle, he [Schubert] did two things. First, he made the work his own, something distinct from it's originating material and owing no loyalty to it beyond the use he could make of it in moulding it to his own purposes. Secondly, he made it more abstract, less definite, more open - without its definite article - and, from our perspective, more modern. Winterreise has a starkness which is utterly true to its material in a way that Die Wointerreise would not be. Anyone can own this journey. . . " (Ian Bostridge: Schubert's Winter Journey, Anatomy of an Obsession)
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

On a not entirely unrelated note, would a performance billed as Der Messias refer purely to Mozart's arrangement of Handel's Messiah?

What would appear in a German programme notice for a performance in English? Just Messiah, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          ". . . By removing the definite article from Mueller's poetic cycle, he [Schubert] did two things. First, he made the work his own, something distinct from it's originating material and owing no loyalty to it beyond the use he could make of it in moulding it to his own purposes. Secondly, he made it more abstract, less definite, more open - without its definite article - and, from our perspective, more modern. Winterreise has a starkness which is utterly true to its material in a way that Die Wointerreise would not be. Anyone can own this journey. . . " (Ian Bostridge: Schubert's Winter Journey, Anatomy of an Obsession)
          Thanks for this PIanorak: I was just wondering what Bostridge had to say, if anything, on this subject and your quote from him is illuminating. I must buy the book and also a CD of the work (with a tenor, I think) to complement my LP of DF-D.

Comment

This has set me thinking. I distinctly recall references to 'The Elijah' (sic). And the work often referred to as 'A War Requiem' was actually called just 'War Requiem' by its composer. Vaughan Williams , having written 'A Sea Symphony ' and 'A London Symphony' then wrote just 'Pastoral Symphony' if the first edition of the score is to be believed. Despite this it is sometimes referred to as 'Symphony no.3 (Pastoral)' or even 'his third pastoral symphony'.

And The Madness of George III was re-titled The Madness of King George lest American audiences thought they'd missed The Madness of George , and The Madness of George two.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              This has set me thinking. I distinctly recall references to 'The Elijah' (sic).
              Bostridge makes the artistic point well. From a purely grammatical point of view, Elijah is the subject/title of Mendelssohn's work = the prophet Elijah. The Elijah would refer to the work itself (an unnecessary distinction, one might say, but if 'The' is included ...), rather than the prophet. One wouldn't expect a concert programme to list The Elijah, The Messiah, Die Winterreise, so context might be a factor.

PS Though I'm not sure that it would necessarily be Die Winterreise, in that case - but these are deep waters, Holmes.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Bostridge makes the artistic point well. From a purely grammatical point of view, Elijah is the subject/title of Mendelssohn's work = the prophet Elijah. The Elijah would refer to the work itself (an unnecessary distinction, one might say, but if 'The' is included ...), rather than the prophet. One wouldn't expect a concert programme to list The Elijah, The Messiah, Die Winterreise, so context might be a factor.

PS Though I'm not sure that it would necessarily be Die Winterreise, in that case - but these are deep waters, Holmes.
                Indeed (and perhaps we've diverted this thread enough); but I wondered about Penderecki and his Polish Requiem, since as far as I'm aware the Polish language doesn't use articles. True enough, it's the English Naxos release that calls it 'A Polish Requiem' rather than just 'Polish Requiem'; I wonder why?

Polish Requiem (original Polish title: Polskie Requiem; German: Polnisches Requiem), also A Polish Requiem, is a large-scale requiem mass for soloists, mixed choir and orchestra by the PolishcomposerKrzysztof Penderecki. The Lacrimosa, dedicated to the trade union leader Lech Wałęsa, was written for the unveiling of a statue at the Gdańsk Shipyard to commemorate those killed in the Polish anti-government riots in 1970. He expanded the work into a requiem, writing other parts to honour different patriotic events over the next four years.​

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Requiem

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ...these are deep waters, Holmes.
                  The Reichenbach Falls, perhaps...

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Schubert's friends were appalled at the bleakness of the work when he played and sang it through to them. My suggestion above that the Wanderer goes forward with the Hurdy-Gurdy man towards death would tie in with an underlying intention (whether or not conscious) that the journey (Reise) is that of the journey through life towards death. Schubert was seriously ill and must have known that he was dying at the time of composition.
                    Presumably, our wanderer, like Schubert, being near death, is not going forward with the Leiermann. He does ask: "Willst zu meinen Liedern deine Leier dreh’n?" (Do you want to accompany my songs?) But the songs are behind him. We've just heard them. Bostridge comments: "the hurdy-gurdy may have been there all along." If the old man is a reminder of death, he would be a constant presence ...like the ominous crow.

Our wanderer comments in song fifteen that a crow has been accompanying him since he left the town: "Eine Krähe war mit mir aus der Stadt gezogen." He addresses the crow as "wunderliches Tier" (strange creature) and asks: "Willst mich nicht verlassen? (Aren't you ever going to to leave me?) Later he uses the same word to describe the Leiermann - wunderlicher Alter.

The sound with which both accompany him is not going to be pleasant or tuneful - the crow's cawing and the Leiermann doing the best he can with numb fingers.

His only other fellow travellers are snarling dogs. He doesn't even get to meet the charcoal burner, whose hut is deserted.

Comment

Who won this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                        Who won this?
                        According to the website,

Recommended recording: Thomas Bauer (baritone) & Jos van Immerseel (pianoforte Walter) - Zigzag ZZT101102

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

According to the website,

Recommended recording: Thomas Bauer (baritone) & Jos van Immerseel (pianoforte Walter) - Zigzag ZZT101102

Ah, it's not a bad performance by any means.

Comment

Working...
                          X