BaL 27.01.24 - Mozart: String Quintet no. 3 in C (K.515)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought to look in my Brilliant Complete Mozart set (given to me by my Beethovenian brother after he'd 'listened to all the works he'd wanted to hear' ). This is the Orlando Quartet with Nobuko Imai. I liked it. Having listened to the Grumiaux yesterday I'd have said (in my untutored way) that it sounded 'richer' and more 'vibrant', but the Orlandos had a lighter touch, the Andante a full minute slower slower, the Allegro a little faster. But personal taste being what it is, I think I enjoyed the Orlandos rather more.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Well, Mandryka, I did listen to the Ensemble Fratres' performance of K515. The interpretation of 18th-century music in the 21st century is a huge subject and I don't want to start a polemic war, so I'll just say these are my own opinions:

I'm always willing to listen to a fresh, considered interpretation;

I didn't like it;

I don't think that's how Mozart would have wanted it to sound;

I understand that in a keenly competitive world where they're competing with umpteen much-loved , digitally-remastered old recordings they feel the need to say 'listen to us; we do it differently.' (I think this is what Il Giardino Armonico really meant with their Oiseau-Lyre recording of Handel's op. 6 concertos ); and finally,

I really do honestly believe that the Pro Arte Quartet with Alfred Hobday at Abbey Road in 1934 (It's on YouTube) were closer to what Mozart would have expected to hear than any more recent recordings .

If Bryn were here I'm sure he'd say that's 'laughable' , but then , it's only my opinion!

Thanks for listening smittims

Do you mean K593? I've not seen a recording of them playing K515.

In the case if K593, their performance of the first movement makes it into something interesting for me to hear - IMO that movement is a bit of a pons asinorum (I like the Lindsay recording too, by the way.)

The Ensemble Fratres performance, according to their website at least, is informed by a style of string playing going back to G B Viotti, and which counted among its adherents Corelli, Vivaldi, Leclair and Berlioz amongst others. It is a bit of a shock to hear it these days though, no doubt. The shock of the old!
      Last edited by Mandryka; 29-01-24, 18:25.

Comment

I found Pro Arte recordings of K 515, 516 and 593 on YouTube. I find you need to keep scrolling down and down, past lots of irrelevant items and it's surprising what you'll find.

Comment

I picked up a cd in a charity shop today of Hausmusik playing the C Major and the g minor.

The players are Monica Hugget, and Pavlo Beznosiuk, violins, Roger Chase and Simon Whistler, viola and Richard Lester, ‘cello. EMI.

Lovely playing with very perky tempi. The Gramophone’s review seemed to feel that the music was better served by ensembles who played together more regularly but felt this disc was pretty good for an ‘ad hoc’ quintet. And, of course, its ’period Instrument’ playing which gives it a lovely light touch.

I felt a wee bit guilty since they had the companion disc of two of the other quintets which I left. I really shouldn’t have split them up like that.

In fact, I’m so impressed that I’ve purchased their recording of the two Brahms Sextets.
          Last edited by pastoralguy; 30-01-24, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I picked up a cd in a charity shop today of Hausmusik playing the C Major and the g minor.

The players are Monica Hugget, and Pavlo Beznosiuk, violins, Roger Chase and Simon Whistler, viola and Richard Lester, ‘cello. EMI.

Lovely playing with very perky tempi. The Gramophone’s review seemed to feel that the music was better served by ensembles who played together more regularly but felt this disc was pretty good for an ‘ad hoc’ quintet. And, of course, its ’period Instrument’ playing which gives it a lovely light touch.

I felt a wee bit guilty since they had the companion disc of two of the other quintets which I left. I really shouldn’t have split them up like that.

In fact, I’m so impressed that I’ve purchased their recording of the two Brahms Sextets.
            You won't regret it, that's a lovely disc. Whilst you are at it, grab the 2 CDs of Mendelssohn that is on a Virgin Veritas twofer. The quintet is sublime. Plus their Schubert Octet!

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
              Roger Parker sold his enthusiasm for the piece, both for its beauty and originality and at the same time showing respect for all performances.
              Agreed though I find his delivery rather an uphill struggle - both the “world-weary” delivery (as HighlandDougie said) and the constant ‘sort ofs’, ‘kind ‘ofs’ and (his signature tic) the phrase ‘in all sorts of ways’ which he repeats so often as to render it meaningless, and get on my nerves… It was worth soldiering on though, due to the strength of the music and the interest of the comparisons
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                The Ébène​'s Debussy/Fauré/Ravel CD is my "go-to" disc for the Debussy and Fauré quartets
                Mine too… and I must say that from the extracts of the Mozart played during the comparison, theirs was the one I was going to seek out irrespective of the “winner” - their sound and style are right up my aural street…
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Have dug out the Grumiaux this week - and think it is just as marvellous as the original and then multiple BAL reviewers thought - I consider the idea it is out of date as Parker and McGregor suggested - utter bilge.

Comment

To be fair, they called it 'ancient'. Well, it is in that it's over 50 years old. But it was an excellent recording and has remastered well.

I've long admired the Talich quartet with Karel Rehak, on Calliope.

Comment

Working...
                    X